• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Is SBI Cashback card even worth it?

I have been tracking my expenses and cashback for last 8 months and I am not able to reconcile where they give 1% and where they give 5%.

When they say "online", it looks like purely Indian e-commerce sites like Flipkart, Amazon, and BigBasket qualify, and not really other places you pay on web. Places I've not gotten are- Tata AIG insurance, Google workspace account, Uber, Indeed premium, any charity (e.g. Goonj, Akshaypatra), Flynote vacations (received once, didn't receive second time), Agoda hotels, etc. This is approximation because my calculated numbers and their numbers don't exactly match.

Because of this uncertainty, my net cashback for last year is 2.6% even though I use this card exclusively online. This is less than 3.3% default from Diner Black where I don't have to think at all. Moreover in middle of month when I check I see one number, in the statement I see different number (even smaller), and in the credit I see even other different number than in the statement. When asking customer service, they sent generic response on which MCCs are eligible and which not. This doesn't explain why their own statement amount and credit amount are different.

I want to cancel this card. What am I missing?

kartikk

TF Buzz
I guess we need to wait for quite a sometime .. all the best
I applied for SBI Elite but after I saw some reviews about it and the fees which is too much for the benefits and ofc the 10 lakh criteria to make it free for the next year I mailed them to either make it ltf or downgrade the application to cashback. Should I take it or leave it? Already have a simply save with 92000 limit . Also requested for Ltf.

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge
I applied for SBI Elite but after I saw some reviews about it and the fees which is too much for the benefits and ofc the 10 lakh criteria to make it free for the next year I mailed them to either make it ltf or downgrade the application to cashback. Should I take it or leave it? Already have a simply save with 92000 limit . Also requested for Ltf.
SBI elite is not worth, take CB card if you get

Lucifer311

TF Buzz
My major expense is ordering medicines for my dad so I always get 5% on it.. I am trying to get another cashback card in the family but unfortunately they are not approving it.. its totally a worth it card for a lot of online portals for which smartbuy does not have voucher.
Which Site are you using for ordering medicines? I have used Pharmeasy & Flipkart Health+, never got the cashback..

TheGuy

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Received a mail today they said they won't give a Ltf elite and said that annual fee is only a portion of the money used by us to maintain your Card account and blah blah. Looking for cashback ltf might get a mail tomorrow from them
I also received same mail.
1706130309298.png
I will be asking again after having some spends and if they don't agree- later close it. Reward rate on SBI Cards (apart from Cashback and Vistara) is abysmal.

Sahilhenzy

TF Ace
They won't downgrade to CB card as of now. Because they still treat this card super premium.

Zacobite

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
I have been tracking my expenses and cashback for last 8 months and I am not able to reconcile where they give 1% and where they give 5%.

When they say "online", it looks like purely Indian e-commerce sites like Flipkart, Amazon, and BigBasket qualify, and not really other places you pay on web. Places I've not gotten are- Tata AIG insurance, Google workspace account, Uber, Indeed premium, any charity (e.g. Goonj, Akshaypatra), Flynote vacations (received once, didn't receive second time), Agoda hotels, etc. This is approximation because my calculated numbers and their numbers don't exactly match.

Because of this uncertainty, my net cashback for last year is 2.6% even though I use this card exclusively online. This is less than 3.3% default from Diner Black where I don't have to think at all. Moreover in middle of month when I check I see one number, in the statement I see different number (even smaller), and in the credit I see even other different number than in the statement. When asking customer service, they sent generic response on which MCCs are eligible and which not. This doesn't explain why their own statement amount and credit amount are different.

I want to cancel this card. What am I missing?
dcb is great.. sbi cb has many tnc.. try and load all on one main card.. return is better..

Faust

TF Select
Hi all,

Have a question regarding the worthiness of the SBI cashback card.

After getting rejected for the SBI cashback card last year, I applied for it again yesterday.
Based on the calls and completed kyc etc., it looks like they have approved it.

The representative started telling me the benefits of the card and she said something that seemed very odd regarding the interpretation of 5% CB up to 5000 for the month.

What she said is if I buy something for 1 lakh on Amazon, the 5% CB will be applicable only on 5000. The remaining 95000 will yield CB only at 1%.
I.e. 5% of 5000 + 1% of 95000 = 250 + 950 = 1200.
With such a rate this card is useless but she is quite confident about this.

My understanding is I will get 5% on the total 1 lakh and any further purchases will yield CB at only 1% since I would have crossed the 5000 limit.

Who is correct here?

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Hi all,

Have a question regarding the worthiness of the SBI cashback card.

After getting rejected for the SBI cashback card last year, I applied for it again yesterday.
Based on the calls and completed kyc etc., it looks like they have approved it.

The representative started telling me the benefits of the card and she said something that seemed very odd regarding the interpretation of 5% CB up to 5000 for the month.

What she said is if I buy something for 1 lakh on Amazon, the 5% CB will be applicable only on 5000. The remaining 95000 will yield CB only at 1%.
I.e. 5% of 5000 + 1% of 95000 = 250 + 950 = 1200.
With such a rate this card is useless but she is quite confident about this.

My understanding is I will get 5% on the total 1 lakh and any further purchases will yield CB at only 1% since I would have crossed the 5000 limit.

Who is correct here?
Ask her to get trained again in the internal SBI training programs ..

Ask her to refer their Cashback CC T& Cs page 32, 33 and 34 on their website..

1706534097067.png

1706534245989.png

1706534489907.png

Last edited: