• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Infinia vs Magnus vs Atlas

raviemailid

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
BACKGROUND STORY:

I had no credit card till June 2021 because of bad credit. I had defaulted on a couple of credit cards about a decade ago and had decided to stick to debit cards and real money for my needs. All of this was going good - I was paying full money for amazon, Flipkart shopping, full money for Zomato, Swiggy, Uber and for anything that you can think of. Life was simple.

But I always wished if I had a credit card - especially the Amazon ICICI credit card - I was a moderate user of Amazon and having the luxury of 5% cash back on everything was nothing short of a dream for me. This thought pushed me to apply for it and it got rejected, obviously. I approached the bank - visited the branch nearby, something that I hadn't done for 5 years. ICICI bank was good and friendly - helped me close my old credit card and issued me a credit card against an FD. Well, they also took 2L cheque for opening some premium account. I didn't need all that but the excitement of getting a CC was worth that stupid 2L FD (that FD is still running with them) and I was issued a Coral credit card. I was happy. 6 months later, after many applications and requests, I was issued an Amazon ICICI Pay credit card and then, after some time, I got Flipkart Axis.

I was on cloud 9 - all my credit card dreams were fulfilled, I was saving 5% flat from FK and Amazon plus some sundry 4% cashback from other apps and a flat 1.5% cashback on all the spends for FK Axis. I moved all my expenses to CC and migrated to cred for bill payments. I also got my hands on Zomato RBL card (which became shoprite card), IndusInd Legend and SBI BPCL card. All of this was good for some 10 months. Then in one of my persuasive conversations with my HDFC RM, the bank I have the longest and heaviest relationship with, but also the one refusing to issue me a credit card, sprang a surprise. Guess I had bothered her to death saying how can you not give me a credit card when I am your classic customer and ICICI and Axis can. RM, utterly fed-up with me, apologized again and threw a last straw towards me - "sir, are you from IIT/IIM or any premier institute?" I was like, "What do you mean, I am from IIM."

I was issued Diners Club Black - which introduced me to 3.3% cashback and the luxuries of credit cards. I was elated and boasted about it to my wife. Hell, I got her an add-on card for lounge visits. Life was all good for another 10 months.

Then in June - I was introduced to GYFTR - those reward multipliers of 2x, and 3x were insane. I was like - why on earth I am not using these? Then in GYFTR, I saw Infinia listed with better reward points. I went to the HDFC portal and saw that I couldn't apply for it - it was an invitation only. This led me to do more research then I came across sites like TechnoFino, Cardinsider etc and I was totally blown away. I felt how novice of me to be happy with DCB when Magnus was killing it. I tried for Magnus in July and I was issued one. But then, I got the update of devaluation and in a panic state, I cancelled the card when it was issued. The card was still delivered to me though but it is cancelled now.

Now - I was greedy, I wanted Infinia! Spoke to RM, and being the amazing lady she is, she said I can get the paid one - and I have the paid one with me now, using it for the last 1 week. But I have understood that 3.3% is all I have except SmartBuy and GYFTR. So I have been looking for ways to find the ideal card combination for me. Hence the research.

WHY COMPARING THESE?

I have 4 main categories of expenses. The expenses that can be covered with GYFTR, second the direct hotel and flights, 3rd normal hotel and flights and 4 other expenses like insurance, fees (can't use Apay) etc. I feel stupid to have cancelled the Magnus, but I guess that may have been a blessing in disguise. Had it stayed with me, I would have tried for Burgundy status and that is not something I'd like to do with Axis bank.

Below table runs a sample point calculation for my annualized expenses. The three cards in question (Infinia, Magnus and Atlas) has a very acceptable annual charge, so I am ignoring that totally.

Screenshot 2023-09-08 at 10.25.30 PM.png

Magnus is considered with Burgundy benefits. For Smartbuy considering it is 5x and 10x, I have taken 7x and Traveledge is 5x. It is clear that Atlas is a very strong card but then, I thought, what if I have Atlas+Infinia combination?

So if I use Infinia for GYFTR and SmartBuy I get 33333+46667 = 80000 and Atlas for direct and general, it is 80000+24000=104000, total 184000. Add 15K milestone of Atlas and 20K joining miles from Infinia and Atlas, I have a total of 2,19,000 miles. 12% return against total expense.

Atlas expense can only be used for flight and hotel, whereas Infinia can be routed to Apple and Tanishq and trains as well. This does look like a good main 2 driver cards to use. What do you all think?

I was slightly tempted by Magnus+Burgundy, but I don't want to shift to premium banking of Axis - and as you see from the table, I am not loosing much. What other cards would you recommend?

P.S - I have applied for Atlas, the card is coming in a week!

Thank you for reading.

margan

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
I am planning to pickup a fridge costing 1.4L. I can get this price against an EMI transaction only. Is there any card (Atlas, Infinia or Sapphiro) which allows EMI transaction for 1) Reward points 2) Milestone benefit 3) Easy fuss-free foreclosure and get reward points?
Hey.. I got this from Savings calculator in Smartbuy website. Here you can try Flipkart where EMI option gives rewards. Does this work for you..
Kindly correct me if wrong...

Note : Not a Infinia user... targeting to get DCB soon...
1698124644529.png

Farhad sekh

TF Premier
Axis, icici, and hdfc don't charge anything for emi cancellation. They refund processing fee, interest and gst whole amount. But you won't get any reward points or milestone benefits for cancelled emi transaction
I am purchasing a fridge of 26k amount
On ICICI Bank no cost emi discount 3500
ICICI Bank non emi discount 1750
Can I buy this on emi discount and later cancel emi after 7 days? Will the bank discount adjusted as per the offer??

drsel

TF Legend
I am purchasing a fridge of 26k amount
On ICICI Bank no cost emi discount 3500
ICICI Bank non emi discount 1750
Can I buy this on emi discount and later cancel emi after 7 days? Will the bank discount adjusted as per the offer??
If you cancel the EMI there will be some penalty or interest levied.
even the discount amount can be adjusted

mgforce

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Even for this, I have been hearing conflicting details. I was told by Customer Care, and in some other posts, and over Twitter, that to eligible for Magnus Burgandy via Salary account, you'll still need to maintain 10L/30L, else you'll not get the "True" burgundy status.
Yes, for LTF Magnus they are asking for True Burgundy. For the same, the mandate is that respective account individually needs to have Rs 10L funds or 30L TRV or salary credit of Rs 3L plus
No its not required
Burgundy Salary accounts have been been opened in past for salary credit < 3 lacs too. They are not eligible for Magnus Burgundy LTF

irahul80

TF Buzz
Great and interesting CC journey for sure. Infinity + ATLAS is a great combination. CCs are not all size fit. Combination varies for every individual according to the needs. I use Amex MRCC + ATLAS for Gift Voucher & Airmiles both🤩
Hey Akash, can we connect over chat or DM ???
I already have MRCC and recently applied for Atlas as well though my travel spends are moderate like arnd 1.5-2L . Wanted to understand from you, if it makes sense to go ahead with this combo (since you already have it) or get something like Amex Plat travel + MRCC to begin my Travel CC journey ??

Thanks

drsel

TF Legend
Great and interesting CC journey for sure. Infinity + ATLAS is a great combination. CCs are not all size fit. Combination varies for every individual according to the needs. I use Amex MRCC + ATLAS for Gift Voucher & Airmiles both
Atlas beats Amex MRCC, Amex Gold & Amex Platinum travel cards. In fact in beats all Amex cards.
Atlas is India's number 3 credit card after Magnus Burgundy and Infinia.
But with Amex cards, you can make a lot of money by referrals.

Axis Atlas (better than free) for both offline & online (except rent, fuel, insurance, wallet, EMI) 4.00/5.33/6.00/6.33% based on target spends <3lacs/3 lacs/7.5 lacs/15 lacs in the card anniversary year, not calendar year

Axis Atlas for direct hotel and direct flights 10.00/11.33/12.00/12.33% based on target spends <3lacs/3 lacs/7.5 lacs/15 lacs in the card anniversary year, not calendar year

Please like if you appreciate my advice thank you 🙏

Last edited:

irahul80

TF Buzz
Atlas beats Amex MRCC, Amex Gold & Amex Platinum travel cards.

Axis Atlas (better than free) for offline 4.00/5.33/6.00% based on target spends <3lacs/3 lacs/7.5 lacs

Axis Atlas for direct hotel and direct flights 10.00/11.33/12.00% based on target spends <3lacs/3 lacs/7.5 lacs
cannot tell you, how happy 'm I to see your comment. I've recently applied for Atlas even though my travel spends will be medicore but will try my best to hit the milestones to get the max out of it.
Thank you so much for sharing this info, even though i've MRCC and was confused to go for Plat Travel or Amex to start my air miles journey !

drsel

TF Legend
cannot tell you, how happy 'm I to see your comment. I've recently applied for Atlas even though my travel spends will be medicore but will try my best to hit the milestones to get the max out of it.
Thank you so much for sharing this info, even though i've MRCC and was confused to go for Plat Travel or Amex to start my air miles journey !
You're welcome I love to help everyone!
I also made some improvements in that advice

Last edited:

drsel

TF Legend
Also read this article I wrote, which compares all the best cards (including Atlas and Amex) and tells you--

Which card to use and where? (14 Jan 2024)
This analysis of 'return on spends' is after deducting annual fees and also considering the welcome benefits--

1. Axis Magnus Burgundy (LTF) for--
a. Rent <50k
b. Insurance <1 lac/calendar month
c. ALL offline & ALL online (except fuel, rent >50k, insurance >1 lac, Govt, utilities, wallet, EMI, withdrawals)
Return 4.80% upto 1.5 lacs/month, 14.00% above 1.5 lacs/month)

2. Axis Magnus Burgundy (LTF) for--
Flights on Traveledge 5x points
Return 24%
No convenience fee, no discount.
But check for price markup compared to the direct airline/Skyscanner/MMT/Cleartrip.
Traveledge 1x points come after 3 days.
Traveledge 4x points of the whole month are credited on M+2 basis on the 15th (45+ days later).
eg. January 4x points will come on 15 March.

3. HDFC Infinia (Rs.2250) for--
Flights on SmartBuy 5x points
Return 13.50% (since points can be used for only 70% of airfare).
Convenience fee extra, No discount.
But check for price markup compared to the direct airline/Skyscanner/MMT/Cleartrip

4. Axis Atlas (Rs.5900 better than LTF).for--
Direct hotel and direct flights (both online and offline)
Return 10.00/11.33/12.00/12.33% based on target spends <3lacs/3 lacs/7.5 lacs/15 lacs per card anniversary year.
No convenience fee, no discount, no price markup

5. Axis Atlas (Rs.5900 better than LTF) for--
a. Rent <50k
b. Insurance <5k
c. ALL offline & ALL online (except fuel, rent >50k, insurance >5k, wallet, EMI, withdrawals).
Return 4.00/5.33/6.00/6.33% based on target spends <3lacs/3 lacs/7.5 lacs/15 lacs per card anniversary year

Last edited:

drsel

TF Legend
Amex cards cannot even be considered for offline spends because hardly any merchant will accept them, because the merchant has to pay 3% commission MDR.

Amex rewards are maximum 5.5% with MRCC (1500 x 4 per month, less 885 annual fees x 1.33 years) and slightly less 4.71% for platinum travel, after considering Rs.5900 renewal fee, 10000 hotel voucher worth Rs.6000, 48000 points at 39 paisa

Platinum travel rewards calculator ---
6000 + (48000 x 0.39)=Rs.24720
24720 on 4 lacs is 6.18% return
24720--5900 renewal fee=18820
18820 on 4 lacs spend is 4.71 %

mastfun

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
My portfolio till date:
1. Utilities and phone bill: Airtel Axis
2. Fuel: SBI BPCL rupay card
3. Insurance : Amex to cover 4L target
4. Edu: ICICI Emeralde metal card (1:1 on gift cards) Earlier it was Magnus card.
5. Groceries : Tata Neu Infinity + Big Basket
6. Dineout : eazydiner + Magnus Burgundy
7. Amazon - APay card
8. Online spends - SBI cash back
9. UPI - HDFC tata neu Infinity card
10. Movies - Emeralde for Buy 1 get 1 (750)

I hold other cards like AU, Federal, Citi, Kotak, Stan only for discounts on Amazon + Flipkart + Bigbasket seasonally.

I rarely travel, and will not be able to get points on travel booking.I believe Atlas will be of no use to me!

Please do suggest me if I have to swap any cards or my usage is wrong.

Emeralde + Axis Airtel + Amex Plat Travel are paid rest all LTF.

Last edited:

drsel

TF Legend
My portfolio till date:
4. Edu: ICICI Emeralde metal card (1:1 on gift cards) Earlier it was Magnus card.
7. Amazon - APay card

I hold other cards like AU, Federal, Citi, Kotak, Stan only for discounts on Amazon + Flipkart + Bigbasket seasonally.

I rarely travel, and will not be able to get points on travel booking.I believe Atlas will be of no use to me!

You are doing great, 👍 keep it up!
Try to get SBI Octane or Axis IOCL instead of SBI BPCL

But ICICI Emerald metal gives you only 3.75% return, that too if you reach 4 lakh or 8 lakh milestone targets and redeem for vouchers of Cleartrip, MakeMyTrip, EaseMyTrip, Yatra @1:1 or Rs.1.
Also when we do bookings on the travel aggregator websites, we usually get a 10% discount on flights and 25 to 35% discount on hotels.
So their vouchers would be worth that much less, not at face value.
Also when you use the gift voucher of that website, you cannot ALSO use the bank 25 to 35% discount coupon code.

There are lots of other brand vouchers available, but for those, you'll get a value of 1 reward point = Rs. 0.60.
But you can phone customer care and redeem the 12500 points as 12500 statement credit, as per attachment below 👇(BEST VALUE)

I would not use a card giving 3.75% returns when I have cards giving much higher returns. So this card would be lying in the shelf.

So the final verdict in my opinion is--
Just redeem 12500 points as statement credit, enjoy 1 night stay in Taj, and not use the card for any spend whatsoever!

Attachments

• metal-gifts-tc-website-51023 (1).pdf
    468.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Akash777

TF Select
I already have MRCC and recently applied for Atlas as well though my travel spends are moderate like arnd 1.5-2L . Wanted to understand from you, if it makes sense to go ahead with this combo (since you already have it) or get something like Amex Plat travel + MRCC to begin my Travel CC journey ??
Considering your travel spends like 1.5 to 2L the best travel card for you will be Axis ATLAS for sure. And combination of Amex MRCC + ATLAS is just amazing. You should start your travel CC journey with this winning combination without any hesitation.

drsel

TF Legend
My portfolio till date:
7. Amazon - APay card

Emerald private metal card is by invitation only. how did you manage to get it?