• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Infinia vs Magnus vs Atlas

raviemailid

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
BACKGROUND STORY:

I had no credit card till June 2021 because of bad credit. I had defaulted on a couple of credit cards about a decade ago and had decided to stick to debit cards and real money for my needs. All of this was going good - I was paying full money for amazon, Flipkart shopping, full money for Zomato, Swiggy, Uber and for anything that you can think of. Life was simple.

But I always wished if I had a credit card - especially the Amazon ICICI credit card - I was a moderate user of Amazon and having the luxury of 5% cash back on everything was nothing short of a dream for me. This thought pushed me to apply for it and it got rejected, obviously. I approached the bank - visited the branch nearby, something that I hadn't done for 5 years. ICICI bank was good and friendly - helped me close my old credit card and issued me a credit card against an FD. Well, they also took 2L cheque for opening some premium account. I didn't need all that but the excitement of getting a CC was worth that stupid 2L FD (that FD is still running with them) and I was issued a Coral credit card. I was happy. 6 months later, after many applications and requests, I was issued an Amazon ICICI Pay credit card and then, after some time, I got Flipkart Axis.

I was on cloud 9 - all my credit card dreams were fulfilled, I was saving 5% flat from FK and Amazon plus some sundry 4% cashback from other apps and a flat 1.5% cashback on all the spends for FK Axis. I moved all my expenses to CC and migrated to cred for bill payments. I also got my hands on Zomato RBL card (which became shoprite card), IndusInd Legend and SBI BPCL card. All of this was good for some 10 months. Then in one of my persuasive conversations with my HDFC RM, the bank I have the longest and heaviest relationship with, but also the one refusing to issue me a credit card, sprang a surprise. Guess I had bothered her to death saying how can you not give me a credit card when I am your classic customer and ICICI and Axis can. RM, utterly fed-up with me, apologized again and threw a last straw towards me - "sir, are you from IIT/IIM or any premier institute?" I was like, "What do you mean, I am from IIM."

I was issued Diners Club Black - which introduced me to 3.3% cashback and the luxuries of credit cards. I was elated and boasted about it to my wife. Hell, I got her an add-on card for lounge visits. Life was all good for another 10 months.

Then in June - I was introduced to GYFTR - those reward multipliers of 2x, and 3x were insane. I was like - why on earth I am not using these? Then in GYFTR, I saw Infinia listed with better reward points. I went to the HDFC portal and saw that I couldn't apply for it - it was an invitation only. This led me to do more research then I came across sites like TechnoFino, Cardinsider etc and I was totally blown away. I felt how novice of me to be happy with DCB when Magnus was killing it. I tried for Magnus in July and I was issued one. But then, I got the update of devaluation and in a panic state, I cancelled the card when it was issued. The card was still delivered to me though but it is cancelled now.

Now - I was greedy, I wanted Infinia! Spoke to RM, and being the amazing lady she is, she said I can get the paid one - and I have the paid one with me now, using it for the last 1 week. But I have understood that 3.3% is all I have except SmartBuy and GYFTR. So I have been looking for ways to find the ideal card combination for me. Hence the research.

WHY COMPARING THESE?

I have 4 main categories of expenses. The expenses that can be covered with GYFTR, second the direct hotel and flights, 3rd normal hotel and flights and 4 other expenses like insurance, fees (can't use Apay) etc. I feel stupid to have cancelled the Magnus, but I guess that may have been a blessing in disguise. Had it stayed with me, I would have tried for Burgundy status and that is not something I'd like to do with Axis bank.

Below table runs a sample point calculation for my annualized expenses. The three cards in question (Infinia, Magnus and Atlas) has a very acceptable annual charge, so I am ignoring that totally.

Screenshot 2023-09-08 at 10.25.30 PM.png

Magnus is considered with Burgundy benefits. For Smartbuy considering it is 5x and 10x, I have taken 7x and Traveledge is 5x. It is clear that Atlas is a very strong card but then, I thought, what if I have Atlas+Infinia combination?

So if I use Infinia for GYFTR and SmartBuy I get 33333+46667 = 80000 and Atlas for direct and general, it is 80000+24000=104000, total 184000. Add 15K milestone of Atlas and 20K joining miles from Infinia and Atlas, I have a total of 2,19,000 miles. 12% return against total expense.

Atlas expense can only be used for flight and hotel, whereas Infinia can be routed to Apple and Tanishq and trains as well. This does look like a good main 2 driver cards to use. What do you all think?

I was slightly tempted by Magnus+Burgundy, but I don't want to shift to premium banking of Axis - and as you see from the table, I am not loosing much. What other cards would you recommend?

P.S - I have applied for Atlas, the card is coming in a week!

Thank you for reading.

raviemailid

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
The expenses are very erratic and not possible for me to combine. Like I have a 3L hotel expense this month in terms of booking a banquet hall and food. August month was not expensive for me, was a good 50k expense a month. That's the reason an annual calculation I went for. October might be expensive with some travel - like 90k or so.

Akash777

TF Select
No need to apply; call customer care and inquire if there's a pre-approved offer available. If one is available, provide your consent, and the card will be issued immediately.
I called their customer care and they were ready to upgrade my Axis ACE to ATLAS but with the same limit of 94k which is quite less for ATLAS. So I took a chance and applied on my own and got my Axis ATLAS with a limit of 3.54 Lakhs.

rohitpgarg

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
BACKGROUND STORY:

I had no credit card till June 2021 because of bad credit. I had defaulted on a couple of credit cards about a decade ago and had decided to stick to debit cards and real money for my needs. All of this was going good - I was paying full money for amazon, Flipkart shopping, full money for Zomato, Swiggy, Uber and for anything that you can think of. Life was simple.

But I always wished if I had a credit card - especially the Amazon ICICI credit card - I was a moderate user of Amazon and having the luxury of 5% cash back on everything was nothing short of a dream for me. This thought pushed me to apply for it and it got rejected, obviously. I approached the bank - visited the branch nearby, something that I hadn't done for 5 years. ICICI bank was good and friendly - helped me close my old credit card and issued me a credit card against an FD. Well, they also took 2L cheque for opening some premium account. I didn't need all that but the excitement of getting a CC was worth that stupid 2L FD (that FD is still running with them) and I was issued a Coral credit card. I was happy. 6 months later, after many applications and requests, I was issued an Amazon ICICI Pay credit card and then, after some time, I got Flipkart Axis.

I was on cloud 9 - all my credit card dreams were fulfilled, I was saving 5% flat from FK and Amazon plus some sundry 4% cashback from other apps and a flat 1.5% cashback on all the spends for FK Axis. I moved all my expenses to CC and migrated to cred for bill payments. I also got my hands on Zomato RBL card (which became shoprite card), IndusInd Legend and SBI BPCL card. All of this was good for some 10 months. Then in one of my persuasive conversations with my HDFC RM, the bank I have the longest and heaviest relationship with, but also the one refusing to issue me a credit card, sprang a surprise. Guess I had bothered her to death saying how can you not give me a credit card when I am your classic customer and ICICI and Axis can. RM, utterly fed-up with me, apologized again and threw a last straw towards me - "sir, are you from IIT/IIM or any premier institute?" I was like, "What do you mean, I am from IIM."

I was issued Diners Club Black - which introduced me to 3.3% cashback and the luxuries of credit cards. I was elated and boasted about it to my wife. Hell, I got her an add-on card for lounge visits. Life was all good for another 10 months.

Then in June - I was introduced to GYFTR - those reward multipliers of 2x, and 3x were insane. I was like - why on earth I am not using these? Then in GYFTR, I saw Infinia listed with better reward points. I went to the HDFC portal and saw that I couldn't apply for it - it was an invitation only. This led me to do more research then I came across sites like TechnoFino, Cardinsider etc and I was totally blown away. I felt how novice of me to be happy with DCB when Magnus was killing it. I tried for Magnus in July and I was issued one. But then, I got the update of devaluation and in a panic state, I cancelled the card when it was issued. The card was still delivered to me though but it is cancelled now.

Now - I was greedy, I wanted Infinia! Spoke to RM, and being the amazing lady she is, she said I can get the paid one - and I have the paid one with me now, using it for the last 1 week. But I have understood that 3.3% is all I have except SmartBuy and GYFTR. So I have been looking for ways to find the ideal card combination for me. Hence the research.

WHY COMPARING THESE?

I have 4 main categories of expenses. The expenses that can be covered with GYFTR, second the direct hotel and flights, 3rd normal hotel and flights and 4 other expenses like insurance, fees (can't use Apay) etc. I feel stupid to have cancelled the Magnus, but I guess that may have been a blessing in disguise. Had it stayed with me, I would have tried for Burgundy status and that is not something I'd like to do with Axis bank.

Below table runs a sample point calculation for my annualized expenses. The three cards in question (Infinia, Magnus and Atlas) has a very acceptable annual charge, so I am ignoring that totally.

Magnus is considered with Burgundy benefits. For Smartbuy considering it is 5x and 10x, I have taken 7x and Traveledge is 5x. It is clear that Atlas is a very strong card but then, I thought, what if I have Atlas+Infinia combination?

So if I use Infinia for GYFTR and SmartBuy I get 33333+46667 = 80000 and Atlas for direct and general, it is 80000+24000=104000, total 184000. Add 15K milestone of Atlas and 20K joining miles from Infinia and Atlas, I have a total of 2,19,000 miles. 12% return against total expense.

Atlas expense can only be used for flight and hotel, whereas Infinia can be routed to Apple and Tanishq and trains as well. This does look like a good main 2 driver cards to use. What do you all think?

I was slightly tempted by Magnus+Burgundy, but I don't want to shift to premium banking of Axis - and as you see from the table, I am not loosing much. What other cards would you recommend?

Thank you for reading.
With infinia, only perhaps AMEX makes sense.

Infinia points are more versatile than atlas points, keep that in mind.

Akash777

TF Select
BACKGROUND STORY:

WHY COMPARING THESE?

Thank you for reading.
Great and interesting CC journey for sure. Infinity + ATLAS is a great combination. CCs are not all size fit. Combination varies for every individual according to the needs. I use Amex MRCC + ATLAS for Gift Voucher & Airmiles both🤩

raviemailid

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
call customer care

I was told that Axis can't issue credit cards within a 3-month gap. Since Magnus was less than 3 months ago, Atlas was declined. Dont know how true it is - but well, it is what it is.

Infinia points are more versatile than atlas points, keep that in mind.

Agree, just that point difference is big. Like the one this month - the 3L hotel expense, Infinia will give 3.33% whereas Atlas would have given me 10%, i.e., 30k points good for 2-3 return trips in India.

only perhaps AMEX makes sense

Any specific card from Amex that compliments Infinia?

Great and interesting CC journey for sure.

Thank you. It sure has been a fun ride. Pardon my relatively poor storytelling skills, the journey for sure has been steller than what I have been able to key-in.

4uziaul

TF Pioneer
Contributor
I was told that Axis can't issue credit cards within a 3-month gap. Since Magnus was less than 3 months ago, Atlas was declined. Dont know how true it is - but well, it is what it is.
Please read it again. I specifically said that you need to call and ask them if any pre-approved offers are available or not? Usually pre-approved cards are available on call. And there is a big difference between applying for a card and getting it as pre-approved. If it's pre-approved no need to wait. I hope this clarifies things for you.

rohitpgarg

TF Premier
VIP Lounge

Agree, just that point difference is big. Like the one this month - the 3L hotel expense, Infinia will give 3.33% whereas Atlas would have given me 10%, i.e., 30k points good for 2-3 return trips in India.
Infinia will also give you 15K (accelerated points) +10K (regular points) points here. Plus, infinia points have no restrictions, any airline, any time, no availability problems for reward seats.

Any specific card from Amex that compliments Infinia?

MRCC and/or gold. Use these cards for categories without multiplier on infinia. For the monthly bonuses.

Thank you. It sure has been a fun ride. Pardon my relatively poor storytelling skills, the journey for sure has been steller than what I have been able to key-in.

raviemailid

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Infinia will also give you 15K (accelerated points) +10K (regular points) points here.
Since it is a direct swipe with the hotel - I'll get the standard 3.33% which is 10K points against 30k points on atlas.

The 15k accelerated points are getting used up at Smartbuy, but outside SmartBuy, it gets flattened to 3.33 whereas Atlas still gives 4% and 10%. Infinia is great at smartbuy, average outside. I definitely agree with the ease of use. There have been times when SmartBuy flights have been cheaper than airline aggregators.

Will check MRCC, thank you.

raviemailid

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I specifically said that you need to call and ask them if any pre-approved offers are available or not? Usually pre-approved cards are available on call. And there is a big difference between applying for a card and getting it as pre-approved. If it's pre-approved no need to wait
Just did this and I had Atlas pre-approved. CC lady was good and the process was completed on call in less than 5 mins. Card is issued, will reach me in less than a week. Super happy! Thank you.

drsel

TF Legend
Please read it again. I specifically said that you need to call and ask them if any pre-approved offers are available or not? Usually pre-approved cards are available on call. And there is a big difference between applying for a card and getting it as pre-approved. If it's pre-approved no need to wait. I hope this clarifies things for you.
I followed your advice and phoned customer care.
I asked about any pre approved chargeable card being available, especially Atlas card.

They said no, because you already have 3 cards and officially only 3 cards are allowed per customer

4uziaul

TF Pioneer
Contributor
I followed your advice and phoned customer care.
I asked about any pre approved chargeable card being available, especially Atlas card.

They said no, because you already have 3 cards and officially only 3 cards are allowed per customer
Your only option now is to apply offline, or alternatively, close one of your existing cards and then get Atlas as a pre-approved card.

Or you can upgrade one of your existing cards to Atlas.

drsel

TF Legend
Your only option now is to apply offline, or alternatively, close one of your existing cards and then get Atlas as a pre-approved card.

Or you can upgrade one of your existing cards to Atlas.
Actually 15 days back I got a pre approved 4th card so I chose Samsung infinite, which was seen immediately on my mobile app.

Then I closed my zone ( because it was devalued to 120 on 500 discount on swiggy).
After closing my zone, I immediately applied for Axis Rewards card as my 4th card.

That application was pending for 11 days.
Customer care told me that "that 4th card approval is on hold because I already have three cards, so I need to cancel one card in order to get that Rewards card"

So then I closed Privilege card and next day my Rewards card got approved and was seen in my mobile app.
so right now I have three cards