• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Get Unsecured Credit Card when Remote Work for Non-Indian Company

ScaredIRL

TF Buzz
Hello, I'm a 22-year-old who will soon graduate from college this year. I have been working as a full-time software developer for a startup based in Country Y, doing remote work from home for the past 9 months, receiving my salary through Deel.

Now, I've been trying to obtain an unsecured credit card for some time, but I haven't been successful. Every time I apply or receive a pre-approved card notification from banks, I have to provide an office address, which I don't have since I work from home. I can't use my company's address either, as it is registered in Country Y with a Country Y address.

I've reached out to banks and their support, but they informed me that it's not possible to issue an unsecured credit card to someone in my situation. They suggested using any Indian business address for verification, which I find shocking. Even though I'm ready to provide bank transaction records and salary credit invoice, they insisted on an Indian business address.

Just a note about my weird experience with the SBI credit card application: They told me to use my family or friends business address for the credit card application and claim that I work for them during verification. But, I don't know if that is legal.

Other factors like my CIBIL score of 755 and having secured cards from IDFC Wow and Fi Credit card haven't helped either.

If anyone knows a realistic way for me to obtain an unsecured credit card in my situation, please share. Also let me know if anymore details required. Thank you in advance.

pothi

TF Premier
RML Group
This is similar for most self-employed people.

As a self-employed (and as someone who WFH), I always give the address of the nearby house as my business address. A few houses apart actually, but in the same street. Since, I am in a village and people know each other, if anyone comes for verification, I could be reached without much effort.

My portfolio consists of entry-level cards only. Since I have a very long banking relationship with Axis, I got Airtel Axis CC in no time (earlier I had other legacy paid cards). Since I purchase a lot in Amazon, I got Amazon Pay ICICI CC without ITR or home verification. For OneCard, I had to wait for nearly 6 months before getting unsecured card.

If you use Amazon regularly and if you are willing to open an account with ICICI, Amazon Pay ICICI CC may be approved even without a vKYC. Basically, co-branded cards are easy to get.

There are many students who got unsecured cards and shared their experiences here. @varun__goel_ for example has Amex.

It is not hard. Only the first card may take sometime to get.

Good luck.

varun__goel_

TF Legend
Hello, I'm a 22-year-old who will soon graduate from college this year. I have been working as a full-time software developer for a startup based in Country Y, doing remote work from home for the past 9 months, receiving my salary through Deel.

Now, I've been trying to obtain an unsecured credit card for some time, but I haven't been successful. Every time I apply or receive a pre-approved card notification from banks, I have to provide an office address, which I don't have since I work from home. I can't use my company's address either, as it is registered in Country Y with a Country Y address.

I've reached out to banks and their support, but they informed me that it's not possible to issue an unsecured credit card to someone in my situation. They suggested using any Indian business address for verification, which I find shocking. Even though I'm ready to provide bank transaction records and salary credit invoice, they insisted on an Indian business address.

Just a note about my weird experience with the SBI credit card application: They told me to use my family or friends business address for the credit card application and claim that I work for them during verification. But, I don't know if that is legal.

Other factors like my CIBIL score of 755 and having secured cards from IDFC Wow and Fi Credit card haven't helped either.

If anyone knows a realistic way for me to obtain an unsecured credit card in my situation, please share. Also let me know if anymore details required. Thank you in advance.
DM me 😉

ScaredIRL

TF Buzz
This is similar for most self-employed people.

As a self-employed (and as someone who WFH), I always give the address of the nearby house as my business address. A few houses apart actually, but in the same street. Since, I am in a village and people know each other, if anyone comes for verification, I could be reached without much effort.

My portfolio consists of entry-level cards only. Since I have a very long banking relationship with Axis, I got Airtel Axis CC in no time (earlier I had other legacy paid cards). Since I purchase a lot in Amazon, I got Amazon Pay ICICI CC without ITR or home verification. For OneCard, I had to wait for nearly 6 months before getting unsecured card.

If you use Amazon regularly and if you are willing to open an account with ICICI, Amazon Pay ICICI CC may be approved even without a vKYC. Basically, co-branded cards are easy to get.

There are many students who got unsecured cards and shared their experiences here. @varun__goel_ for example has Amex.

It is not hard. Only the first card may take sometime to get.

Good luck.
Thank you very much for your advice. I have a few doubts. So, when applying for a credit card, do I have to select "self-employed" option instead of "salary"? And then I can choose any relative's address near me, even if they are not a registered entity right?

Is this the only option? It's sad we have no direct process in India for situation like mine, lol.

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge

In your case, you should apply as self employed..

1) apply as select employed
2) Make a name plate with your name and professional title and put it in front of your home door/ gate when an agent visits. You need to select sole proprietorship as organization type.
3) give office address and home address as same
4) Supply ITR as income proof document

Note: your cibil is low and need to be increased for better approval chances

ScaredIRL

TF Buzz
In your case, you should apply as self employed..

1) apply as select employed
2) Make a name plate with your name and professional title and put it in front of your home door/ gate when an agent visits. You need to select sole proprietorship as organization type.
4) Supply ITR as income proof document

Note: your cibil is low and need to be increased for better approval chances
Thank you for the clear-cut steps. I will try this, many suggested the same. Hopefully, I will get one cc this year with this method.

Yes, my CIBIL score is low. It decreased due to recent applications and rejections. So, I will wait for some time before reapplying with this method.

I will update my experience here afterwards. Thanks to everyone for the help.

Reactions: SSV

NAB

TF Premier
How deel is crediting salary in your account? If they have an Indian entity that is processing this amount, then write their name and address in the employer field. You will easily get their address from the zaubacorp or similar websites.
Many banks will not go for the physical verification of the office. OR you may write nearby OR home address as office address and explain to the verification guy that you are working from home. ;)

ScaredIRL

TF Buzz
How deel is crediting salary in your account? If they have an Indian entity that is processing this amount, then write their name and address in the employer field. You will easily get their address from the zaubacorp or similar websites.
Many banks will not go for the physical verification of the office. OR you may write nearby OR home address as office address and explain to the verification guy that you are working from home. ;)
Thanks and yes you are right, Deel has an Indian entity known as DEEL EOR PRIVATE LIMITED. My bank account transactions also mention Deel Inc. when I receive my salary. Also, my salary invoice was generated by Deel. But, when I informed the bank about this, they said it might not work, as Deel might decline my employment with them, considering Deel is just a payroll management software used by the company I work for.

I will try both methods in future if one doesn't work out. But I'm worried that this could blacklist me for future credit card applications due to false or declined verification.

pothi

TF Premier
RML Group

In HDFC, my application was rejected for keeping the same address for both. Even though, it was clearly mentioned to use a different address. I ignored it and learned the lesson only when I was forced to use a different address while applying for an Axis card where I can not enter the same address (as self employed). I wish HDFC tweaked the software similarly, instead of just asking us to provide a different address.

For ICICI, I think I used the same address. ICICI never bothered to check anything. Just approved.

Basically, some banks insist on different addresses. Others may not.

Thank you very much for your advice. I have a few doubts. So, when applying for a credit card, do I have to select "self-employed" option instead of "salary"? And then I can choose any relative's address near me, even if they are not a registered entity right?

Is this the only option? It's sad we have no direct process in India for situation like mine, lol.

Yes. Just an option, not the only one. 😊

NAB

TF Premier
Thanks and yes you are right, Deel has an Indian entity known as DEEL EOR PRIVATE LIMITED. My bank account transactions also mention Deel Inc. when I receive my salary. Also, my salary invoice was generated by Deel. But, when I informed the bank about this, they said it might not work, as Deel might decline my employment with them, considering Deel is just a payroll management software used by the company I work for.

I will try both methods in future if one doesn't work out. But I'm worried that this could blacklist me for future credit card applications due to false or declined verification.
They will be not having any physical office for sure, It will be some virtual location OR CA's address.

So, verification agent will not be able to find any office. In such cases, they will call you. You can explain that you are working from home, you also never visited the office. Mostly they will pass the verification. So very less chances of rejection. (Don't tell them that you are working for a foreign entity, let them consider it as an Indian entity only.)

I don't think they will put you in the Blacklist juet for a office verification failure. (As many banks don't do that at all.)

ScaredIRL

TF Buzz
They will be not having any physical office for sure, It will be some virtual location OR CA's address.

So, verification agent will not be able to find any office. In such cases, they will call you. You can explain that you are working from home, you also never visited the office. Mostly they will pass the verification. So very less chances of rejection. (Don't tell them that you are working for a foreign entity, let them consider it as an Indian entity only.)

I don't think they will put you in the Blacklist juet for a office verification failure. (As many banks don't do that at all.)
Thanks for the info, but they don't have a virtual location or CA's address.

ScaredIRL

TF Buzz
Today, I received a call from SBI regarding a credit card. I tried the method suggested. But sadly they informed me that I cannot apply as "self-employed" because I am under 25.

Later, they mentioned that I could apply under the guise of a business owned by my relative in India.

Tejo

TF Legend
In HDFC, my application was rejected for keeping the same address for both. Even though, it was clearly mentioned to use a different address. I ignored it and learned the lesson only when I was forced to use a different address while applying for an Axis card where I can not enter the same address (as self employed). I wish HDFC tweaked the software similarly, instead of just asking us to provide a different address.

For ICICI, I think I used the same address. ICICI never bothered to check anything. Just approved.

Basically, some banks insist on different addresses. Others may not.

Yes. Just an option, not the only one. 😊
Under salaried, you cant put same address as office address.

But you can if selected self employed, changing little bit.

ScaredIRL

TF Buzz
Don't do any such false things. Just apply as I and SSV told you yesterday
Yes, I will use the "self-employed" method only when sending my next application.

But, does anyone know why SBI employee on call mentioned that the age limit for "self-employed" cc application is 25?

varun__goel_

TF Legend
Yes, I will use the "self-employed" method only when sending my next application.

But, does anyone know why SBI employee on call mentioned that the age limit for "self-employed" cc application is 25?
Yes actually it is SBI's policy. For self employed individual minimum age required is 25.

NAB

TF Premier
This address is valid, but it cannot be verified as I am not employed by Deel. I'm not sure if they will skip verification.

Don't do any such false things. Just apply as I and SSV told you yesterday

Technically you are on Deel's payroll. That's the name coming to your bank account statement. TDS deduction if any will be showing under their name only in your ITR.

It's called 3rd Party Payroll, so technically you are on contract OR hired by those payroll companies and working for another organization. Many Indian companies also employ people on this model.

@varun__goel_ That's not false information bro! Most of the foreign companies operate by this model only in India. So, people need to mention the employer's name per the Payroll company's name.

Last edited: