• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Credit Score (CIBIL) Formula Revealed

Shraaj

TF Premier
How CIBIL Score is Calculated in India ?
Check CIBIL Score formula & learn how does it calculated.

2022-06-30_28429

Now, This is the Ratio, that our Credit Score comes from and has an Impact on Gaining and Losing Credit Score in Points.

1. PAYMENT HISTORY-

This is the Most Important Factor, Now see the Parameter/Table

2022-06-30_28629

Now, You Can ADD THE POINTS - Eg-

1. If you have just recently paid like 0-4 months then add 15-25 Points.

2. If there is no delay in payment then add 85-95 Points

3. No Bankruptcy - Add 75-85 Points

Now, See even if you don't pay the bank/NBFC then also you will get a score but see the points gap,

2. DEBT BURDEN/CREDIT UTILIZATION-

2022-06-30_28729

Now, See if you don't have any burden then also point score will be less or even if you have heavy debt burden then marks will be deducted or less score. So, I will add 20-29% which is 145-155 points along with previous points.

3. LENGTH OF CREDIT HISTORY-

The most important thing look at the points in increasing order along with years,so better to keep our old products active.

2022-06-30_28829

Add No.of Months like which is the longest credit report product for you mine is in 12-23 months, so I will add 105-115 points with the previous one. (It can be seen in the cibil report or directly in OneScore App)

4.RECENT SEARCHES FOR CREDIT/CREDIT ENQUIRIES-

2022-06-30_28929

Now, See How Many Enquiries have you made in CIBIL in the Last 6 Months that also impact, Add this previous one.

5. TYPES OF CREDIT/MIXTURE OF CREDIT ACCOUNTS-

It is always healthy if you have a mixture of Loans like Credit Card, Personal loans, Home loans, etc. Now, see the table

2022-06-30_281029

NOW, ADD All those Five Things and final outcome would be your expected Credit Score,offcourse it would be not accurate but it's 90-95% Accurate.This Formula has been applied to 20 Different People and the Results were +/-20 Points are here and there.

Try and comment.

aceventura

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Yes I know that.
Just to be clear, the OP's post was his approximation of the CIBIL score formula, and based on my experience, it is not that good of an approximation either. I mean, the only reason it could possibly work is due to some 'law of averages' mechanics working between the scores from different factors. As you have pointed out, based on this formula, your score should at minimum increase to 903, if not more. This is simply not possible.

If you do want to experiment as you earlier mentioned, please feel free to do so and let us know the results. My bet is score would reduce if your utilization moves from 0% to 2%. The quantum of reduction would be dependent on other factors as @s-s-v pointed out.

sachinvenga

TF Premier
Just to be clear, the OP's post was his approximation of the CIBIL score formula, and based on my experience, it is not that good of an approximation either. I mean, the only reason it could possibly work is due to some 'law of averages' mechanics working between the scores from different factors. As you have pointed out, based on this formula, your score should at minimum increase to 903, if not more. This is simply not possible.

If you do want to experiment as you earlier mentioned, please feel free to do so and let us know the results. My bet is score would reduce if your utilization moves from 0% to 2%. The quantum of reduction would be dependent on other factors as @s-s-v pointed out.
Yes score may reduce. Let’s see. Will update.

aceventura

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Here is my current score at 2% credit utilization.

Screenshot 2023-10-29 004631.png

Here is what my score would be I took my utilization to 0% as per CIBIL score simulator

Screenshot 2023-10-29 004524.png

Yes, I have validated the score simulator in the past for this exact scenario and got exactly what the simulator said I would get.

sachinvenga

TF Premier
And this would be my score if I had paid off all my CC balances, but kept 1 Rs as due in one of the credit cards.

Screenshot 2023-10-29 005602.png

Moral of the story, if you even have 1 Rs due in one of your credit cards, the score will be reduced by about 10 points.unf
Unfortunately simulation for adding / increasing outstanding balances in Active accounts is not available.

shrewdoc

TF Ace
So that means if I don't use my credit or pay due before bill generation, my score will increase? 🤣 Wow!

What's the use of credit then? I'll take a pass and pay my bills just before due date. 😆

Any score above 750 is good. No need to worry much.

Just need to pay bills regularly without fail and keeping overall utilisation under 10% and one should be good to go.

imdjay

TF Ace
Contributor
VIP Lounge
You have a paid subscription? usually there is an alert when score changes and it typically would be tied to some event.
I don't have a paid account. However, I get a notification if there is any change in the CIBIL report. this time I didn't get any notification. but when I checked through iMobile yesterday, it had dropped by 10 since last week.

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge
You're absolutely right !! Score corrected by 10 points to 793.

@S S V @aceventura @S S V

👇
1698827055562.jpeg

Now in your score simulator, check the scenario of "clear all your outstanding balances" and see the score ..it will increase by 10 points..
This itself shows, having 0(-ve) balance gives us best possible score..
This solves the" myth of having about 10% gives us maximum score and having-ve balance is bad"
Everyone listening??

aceventura

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
So that means if I don't use my credit or pay due before bill generation, my score will increase? 🤣 Wow!

What's the use of credit then? I'll take a pass and pay my bills just before due date. 😆

Any score above 750 is good. No need to worry much.

Just need to pay bills regularly without fail and keeping overall utilisation under 10% and one should be good to go.
Agreed on this, I don't keep 0% utilisation either. But this is how the score works, if anyone wants to boost their score temporarily, this is the way. Pay off all credit cards before reporting date, not even a single rupee due and score would be boosted by about 10 points.

sachinvenga

TF Premier
Now in your score simulator, check the scenario of "clear all your outstanding balances" and see the score ..it will increase by 10 points..
This solves the" myth of having about 10% gives us maximum score and having-ve balance is bad"
Everyone listening??
Yes, after “ clear all outstanding balances“ it increased by 10 points. 👏

Quantum

TF Premier
Everyone listening??
Aye aye captain!
We are all ears!

And that's probably what everyone's common sense should recommend them too, that having zero debt is the best debt.

Quantum

TF Premier
can secured credit cards such IDFC wow will help to increase credit mix?
We understand your desire to touch the 900 point, but 800 is a very good score. :D

This is what I have observed in this forum about the IDFC Wow card:
1) It doesn't get reported to CIBIL as "secured". It is reported as unsecured.
2) One person got the response from IDFC that IDFC Wow card with credit limit below 25k doesn't get reported to CIBIL.
Au contraire, one other person mentioned that they have a Wow card with 5k credit limit and that is being reported to CIBIL.
So before proceeding, you may want to get some confirmation about above mentioned points.