• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Citibank to AxisBank

xaidi

TF Buzz
So, I'm assuming a lot of you guys like myself would have banking with Citibank (I have a salaried account). Today I received my Axis Priority chequebook.

I'm hoping that you guys could help me out a little. I'm not that hopeful with Axis Bank and haven't been a fan of their service while using their credit cards. Having said that, should I keep the axis account, or move over to some other bank (please also suggest alternatives)

Additional Info: Net Salary: 1.8 lpm

Last edited:

cardio_guy

TF Ace
I am in the same salary range as yours, here is my experience -

I recently switched from a Citibank Suvidha salary account to an ICICI salary account, making the move ahead of the conversion process. Approximately six months ago, I decided to close my Citibank account and opted for ICICI instead. While there were some initial hiccups, most of the issues have been resolved, and I've grown relatively satisfied with the services offered.

Let me highlight both the positives and negatives of the transition:

On the positive side, Citibank never bothered me with marketing calls, whereas with ICICI, I receive at least one call per day, often regarding loans and other offers. Additionally, with Citibank, I never had to physically visit a branch for any transactions or services. However, with ICICI, I did have to visit the branch for the account opening process and encountered some initial hassles. Furthermore, closing the account with ICICI requires visiting the branch and filling out/signing a form; there isn't a fully online option for closure.

While with Citibank, I only had a salary account without any additional products like fixed deposits, loans, or credit cards, with ICICI, I opted for a lifetime free (LTF) credit card and a wealth management account variant, which includes a World Master debit card.

Although I believe that HDFC might offer better services and facilities in this salary range, I am not considering another move at the moment.

Reactions: SSV

xaidi

TF Buzz

I recently switched from a Citibank Suvidha salary account to an ICICI salary account, making the move ahead of the conversion process. Approximately six months ago, I decided to close my Citibank account and opted for ICICI instead. While there were some initial hiccups, most of the issues have been resolved, and I've grown relatively satisfied with the services offered.

On the positive side, Citibank never bothered me with marketing calls, whereas with ICICI, I receive at least one call per day, often regarding loans and other offers. Additionally, with Citibank, I never had to physically visit a branch for any transactions or services. However, with ICICI, I did have to visit the branch for the account opening process and encountered some initial hassles. Furthermore, closing the account with ICICI requires visiting the branch and filling out/signing a form; there isn't a fully online option for closure.

While with Citibank, I only had a salary account without any additional products like fixed deposits, loans, or credit cards, with ICICI, I opted for a lifetime free (LTF) credit card and a wealth management account variant, which includes a World Master debit card.

Although I believe that HDFC might offer better services and facilities in this salary range, I am not considering another move at the moment.
Completely agree with you on the convenience of banking with Citi. Have had an account with them for about 8 years now and never had to visit (even once) to branch for anything. Ever since the migration I've been getting various calls from axis for Loans etc. as well and never faced this issue with Citi.

The biggest benefit I see moving to HDFC is, they recently opened a branch in my society's commercial complex as well. So even if I have to go to a branch, it'll be a 2 minute walk.

Rishabh

TF Premier
VIP Lounge

Regarding account closure with ICICI, you don't need to visit the branch. You can ask the RM to send you pre-filled account closing form on email, just take print-out, sign it and send the scanned copy. Within a day account gets closed. I have got couple of old accounts closed via this process few months back.

techt

TF Legend
Completely agree with you on the convenience of banking with Citi. Have had an account with them for about 8 years now and never had to visit (even once) to branch for anything. Ever since the migration I've been getting various calls from axis for Loans etc. as well and never faced this issue with Citi.

The biggest benefit I see moving to HDFC is, they recently opened a branch in my society's commercial complex as well. So even if I have to go to a branch, it'll be a 2 minute walk.
With HDFC, AXIS this is an advantage . Couple of times I had to get latest bank statement stamped, I could just walk and get it done. My colleague who had Citi had to take one day leave.
Only thing is if you move to hdfc, RM pestering will be more.

cardio_guy

TF Ace
Regarding account closure with ICICI, you don't need to visit the branch. You can ask the RM to send you pre-filled account closing form on email, just take print-out, sign it and send the scanned copy. Within a day account gets closed. I have got couple of old accounts closed via this process few months back.
Oh that is a big relief. Thank you for this information. I will use this when I need to close my account.

lightwaves

TF Premier
So, I'm assuming a lot of you guys like myself would have banking with Citibank (I have a salaried account). Today I received my Axis Priority chequebook.

I'm hoping that you guys could help me out a little. I'm not that hopeful with Axis Bank and haven't been a fan of their service while using their credit cards. Having said that, should I keep the axis account, or move over to some other bank (please also suggest alternatives)

I think HDFC is better.

lightwaves

TF Premier

Oh yes, I had Salary account with CITI for a long time and I never had to visit their branch. I had almost forgotten where their branch was. Unmatched customer experience/service was CITIs biggest USP. I decided to close the account when they announced sale to Axis. But I still hold their CC and have had no problems until now.

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge

A definite NO to Axes SB account.
Other options include:
1) ICICI
2) HDFC
3) Other Foreign bank may be HSBC, I have no idea about this..

It all depends on what you want, your area branch efficiency, future prospective products you like to have etc

Rishabh

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I feel ICICI is better than HDFC in terms of ease of use & convenience offered through plethora of services available via Netbanking & iMobile app.
HDFC's net/mobile banking interface & available options are much inferior when compared to ICICI.

If you are transitioning from CITI, i will suggest to go for ICICI than HDFC.
I have accounts with both & sharing opinion based on personal use.

Tarun239

TF Premier
I feel ICICI is better than HDFC in terms of ease of use & convenience offered through plethora of services available via Netbanking & iMobile app.
HDFC's net/mobile banking interface & available options are much inferior when compared to ICICI.

If you are transitioning from CITI, i will suggest to go for ICICI than HDFC.
I have accounts with both & sharing opinion based on personal use.
How is icici better than hdfc and axis? I am asking regarding premium accounts like hdfc imperia/ axis burgundy??

Zacobite

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
i

i am in wait and watch mode.. keep the account.. use it for salary credit only.. main banking can be from your other account.. i never keep any sip / emi etc on salary account as it maynot be the same if you chg jobs.. if u use it basic.. no expectations no disappointment with axis...

Rishabh

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
How is icici better than hdfc and axis? I am asking regarding premium accounts like hdfc imperia/ axis burgundy??
HDFC Imperia is nothing premium, no special privilege except free Locker (hard to get one) and Demat. Axis burgundy used to be superior with premium debit card but lost the shine after recent devaluation.

With ICICI Wealth account, you can get premium credit card along with but again the credit card portfolio of ICICI is not great.

So from ease of use perspective, ICICI have rich netbanking & mobile app interface, at second it will be Axis & will keep HDFC at the 3rd.

_amit_

TF Premier
All private banks are same and offer same services in terms of banking.
If someone found a good apple (RM/BM) does not make the bank good. It means you are lucky to get one.

So just look for ease. Nowadays no one usually goes to bank unless need be. So if you can get a bank closer to your place, thats good.
So if Axis already has your account, you can keep it. The banking is same like other players in the market.

If you are looking for a credit card, then change bank and ask BM to give you the card LTF and you will move the salary account there. If your mood strike do it again after a year.

Though one thing to keep in mind is to not engage recurring products with such accounts. Like linking with trading account or SGB as you will receive dividends and interest. For those things a public sector bank like opening SBI savings is way better for ease of mind.

shashank08

TF Premier
today received Burgundy cheque book for my Citibank account.
I am holding Citibank's Priority world debit card.

Right now I need to maintain 1L AMB in my citibank account but as Burgundy require 5L AMB so I am not sure whether in future I need to maintain 5L AMB.

Is there any logic Axis bank is considering in deciding which Citibank account will go to Burgundy and which will go to priority etc?

karanssh

TF Premier
Contributor
VIP Lounge
today received Burgundy cheque book for my Citibank account.
I am holding Citibank's Priority world debit card.

Right now I need to maintain 1L AMB in my citibank account but as Burgundy require 5L AMB so I am not sure whether in future I need to maintain 5L AMB.

Is there any logic Axis bank is considering in deciding which Citibank account will go to Burgundy and which will go to priority etc?
is there any point to burgundy anymore? m4b is basically dead... besides I would like to know how they decide too. Have not received anything so far