• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Big Expense incoming - Any suggestion for a new card

DrTS

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
Hi,

I have to book a tour via kesari tours for 3.7L for my parents and was going to use Amex Platinum travel for it but just now got to know that they don’t accept Amex cards.

So my rest of the cards are pretty shit except maybe SBI cashback. I had magnus but discontinued it after first devaluation.

So, I was wanted some suggestions to get any other card for this expense and maybe some more. Is it worthwhile ? Thought of atlas but havent tracked the last devaluation.

PS - will not get Infinia or burgundy magnus or other super premium cards.

the_dark_knight

TF Ace
Contributor
Hi,

I have to book a tour via kesari tours for 3.7L for my parents and was going to use Amex Platinum travel for it but just now got to know that they don’t accept Amex cards.

So my rest of the cards are pretty shit except maybe SBI cashback. I had magnus but discontinued it after first devaluation.

So, I was wanted some suggestions to get any other card for this expense and maybe some more. Is it worthwhile ? Thought of atlas but havent tracked the last devaluation.

Please give us some more information to suggest any card like:
Your merchant kesari tours is an online merchant (like website app and having payment gateway) or pos offline and what different payment options it accepts? If apay is there, then amex card can be used to buy apay vochers which you can redeem on the website. Also what is the mcc/category of this merchant

Do you require to make this payment in one go or in different instalments spread over time?
And how soon you need to complete this spends of 3.7L.

It depends on your answers to the questions above.

Some options worth exploring are vistara cobranded cards of sbi/axis, where you can easily get 3-4 domestic tickets free on these spends, but again this depends on you if you require flight tickets or not.

sourpai

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Try for Yes Reserv with 3x subscription. Or Atlas is also good if you can get it. Vistara cards also good for milestone

They can also send payment links in parts. So if possible use SBI cashback for 1L and other card for the rest

Kesari might charge 0.5-1% additional charge for using credit cards. Plus there is some TCS (5%) so be careful on which PAN you provide (your or parents)

DrTS

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
Please give us some more information to suggest any card like:
Your merchant kesari tours is an online merchant (like website app and having payment gateway) or pos offline and what different payment options it accepts? If apay is there, then amex card can be used to buy apay vochers which you can redeem on the website. Also what is the mcc/category of this merchant

Do you require to make this payment in one go or in different instalments spread over time?
And how soon you need to complete this spends of 3.7L.

It depends on your answers to the questions above.

Some options worth exploring are vistara cobranded cards of sbi/axis, where you can easily get 3-4 domestic tickets free on these spends, but again this depends on you if you require flight tickets or not.
Thanks for the response.

Kesari tours is a website and I am doing payment online. Payment gateway is some finserv which I am seeing for the first time. Accepts all cards except Amex. UPI accepted but no wallet.

I have to pay in two parts. 1.2L now and 2.5L next month.

Vistara cards are leas useful for me because of limited connectivity.

Also, I pay 1% extra charge for CC payment on kesari. MCC unknown and could not find it online.

Thanks

DrTS

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
Try for Yes Reserv with 3x subscription. Or Atlas is also good if you can get it. Vistara cards also good for milestone

They can also send payment links in parts. So if possible use SBI cashback for 1L and other card for the rest

Kesari might charge 0.5-1% additional charge for using credit cards. Plus there is some TCS (5%) so be careful on which PAN you provide (your or parents)
Thanks

Is atlas still good after devaluation? Will look at yes reserve

I have to pay 1-2L now and rest next month.

SBI cashback is an option but still dont know the mcc.

the_dark_knight

TF Ace
Contributor
Thanks for the response.

Kesari tours is a website and I am doing payment online. Payment gateway is some finserv which I am seeing for the first time. Accepts all cards except Amex. UPI accepted but no wallet.

Also, I pay 1% extra charge for CC payment on kesari. MCC unknown and could not find it online.

Thanks
You can explore all milestone specific cards whether vistara, air India or others like atlas.....
Btw, @sourpai suggested, you can use SBI cashback too for the 1.2L payment now if you have limited option, most likely this should give you 5% cashback considering its travel category only.
You can take your time to decide which card to spend for the remaining 2.5l next month. Also in new billing month cycle, you can again avail 5% cb upto 5k o on sbi cashback card

Vasuki

TF Pioneer
Contributor
RML Group
VIP Lounge
Thanks for the response.

Thanks
Get atlas..
You can explore all milestone specific cards whether vistara, air India or others like atlas.....
Btw, @sourpai suggested, you can use SBI cashback too for the 1.2L payment now if you have limited option, most likely this should give you 5% cashback considering its travel category only.
You can take your time to decide which card to spend for the remaining 2.5l next month. Also in new billing month cycle, you can again avail 5% cb upto 5k o on sbi cashback card
Good point

sourpai

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Thanks

Is atlas still good after devaluation? Will look at yes reserve

I have to pay 1-2L now and rest next month.

SBI cashback is an option but still dont know the mcc.
Then it is even better. You can use SBI cashback twice for 2L. MCC will be mostly travel tours category. Should give 5% cashback

Only areas having issues with SBI cashback are Education, Jewellery, Govt and Utilities. Don't think any of these MCCs will be tagged to Kesari Tours

drsel

TF Legend
Thanks for the response.

Thanks
If you are paying Kesari Tours online it would come in the travel category as an online travel agent.
Then the Yes Reserve 5x for 5900 would be best to get 9% return, provided you use the points to buy air tickets only on the Yes website.

But if you are paying a financial service company, then the MCC code may not be travel.
In which case SBI cashback should give you 5% cashback or 5000 on the first 1 lakh in April and another 5000 on 1 lac in May.

Try to pay 1 lac every month.
If not possible the balance amount 1.70 lacs can be paid using Atlas.

DrTS

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
Thanks guys!

I totally forgot about SBI cashback 5k limit per month. I will use 1L this month and 1L next.

Rest 1.7L will look into atlas/others. I wish they were accepting Amex, would’ve completed my 2nd milestone 😬

Vasuki

TF Pioneer
Contributor
RML Group
VIP Lounge
Thanks guys!

I totally forgot about SBI cashback 5k limit per month. I will use 1L this month and 1L next.

Rest 1.7L will look into atlas/others. I wish they were accepting Amex, would’ve completed my 2nd milestone 😬
No worries 🙂
Sbi cashback is everywhere

drsel

TF Legend
Thanks guys!

If you have Magnus Burgundy, you will get 4.8% return (Rs.7200) on the first 1.5 lakhs and 14% return (Rs.30800) on the balance 2.2 lakhs

the_collector

TF Premier
Thanks guys!

Btw , if I'm not mistaken, SBI CB is calculated on statement cycle and not monthly.

So you may be able to do it 3 times totally if you do it right.

Lets say your billing date is 20th,
You can do it one time now before 20th, one time before 20th next month, and then on the 21st or 22nd of next month. Effectively 15k through SBI.

MCC is tricky though so make sure you check once the first bill is generated if you got 5% on it or not

Zacobite

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Hi,

your nett reward rate is unlikely to be more than 4% after the 1% cc charge.... Why don't you negotiate hard for a 4% discount with kesri and save yourself all this trouble.. like we all do.. say u will cancel and. go somewhere else.. 4-5.% you will definitely get :)

the_dark_knight

TF Ace
Contributor
your nett reward rate is unlikely to be more than 4% after the 1% cc charge.... Why don't you negotiate hard for a 4% discount with kesri and save yourself all this trouble.. like we all do.. say u will cancel and. go somewhere else.. 4-5.% you will definitely get :)
Even if he negotiates and gets 4-5% discount, he would still have to pay online via some cc, and the trouble would remain tho, lolz.....so 15k is in hindsight for now as cc cashback.

amitr29

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Hi,

Use Amex to transfer through Mobiqwik and transfer directly to their Kesari Bank account.You spend 2920/- per lac but save 1%, as no credit card swiped. So, you pay 1.9% effectively and hit Plat travel milestone of 4 lacs and get 48000 points and Taj Voucher worth 10k.

If you can negotiate and squeeze Kesari for 1% further discount saying you will make entire payment upfront.. You are sorted