• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Best Health Insurance Practically

quino

TF Premier
RML Group
This looks like no waiting period policy (30 days only) my friend, is it not available for 60+ individuals?
right, not available for obvious reasons.
and no waiting period on any disease..like is the case with any corporate policy
yes, but try & apply with PED and see it get rejected faster than vande bharat train
Try icici lombard group insurance for icici customers. I got 50l policy for three people for 12k premium
wait for renewal and see the price jump then

shivms112233

TF Buzz
Hi everyone,
I am planning to take a health insurance for my parents and have a simple doubt:
What is the difference between:
a) an insurance with higher base amount (lets say 50L) or
b)an insurance with a super top-up, equaling same cover of 50L (10L base+40L super top-up)?
The second plan is obviously cheaper than the first one. Then, why would anyone go for the first plan? Could you help me understand what am I missing here.

the_dark_knight

TF Ace
Contributor
Hi everyone,
I am planning to take a health insurance for my parents and have a simple doubt:
What is the difference between:
a) an insurance with higher base amount (lets say 50L) or
b)an insurance with a super top-up, equaling same cover of 50L (10L base+40L super top-up)?
The second plan is obviously cheaper than the first one. Then, why would anyone go for the first plan? Could you help me understand what am I missing here.
The second example you gave of 10l base + 40L super top-up. There are a few concerns here, of which you must be aware.

1. This is not a single policy of 10L+40L. These are two separate policies = 10L base policy separate and 40L super top policy separate. Since both policies are separate, so their t&C might differ like some diseases might not be covered in your super top-up policy. Usually super-top up features are not same or attractive as your main policy

2. Claim experience is a little hampered in this combination because since there are 2 policies so for a larger claim, it might take more time to get settlement.

3. Since both policies are separate, there is a chance that the super-top up policy gets discontinued by the insurer anytime in future.In such a case you would just be left with the base sum insured policy only, and increasing the base sum insured later is complicated and will attract medical assessment and underwriting again, and there are chances the insurance company might deny increasing it.

4. Super-top policy is a new product altogether in the insurance industry. This was basically designed to target those ppl (mainly business or HNI ppl)who didn't take insurance at all. These ppl were those who thought 10-20L claims can be easily paid by them without any extra finacial burden, so why to purchase policy for that. Hence companies designed this super-top up product, by selling very high cover like 1cr at a very nominal premium with a deductible option.
Since super-top up is a new product , insurance pandits don't consider it to be reliable still for the future, meaning they think that insurance companies might discontinue these policies in future as more n more are opting for these poliocies or might increase the premium to match it with the regular base policy cover only. u

To conclude, first and important thing is here to check what your super-top-up policy covers. If it is sufficent as per your needs then go with the base+super top combination without any doubt.

hs23new

TF Premier
Any reviews on Aditya Birla Active one? They are offering upto 100% health return if you are active 325 days per month. Its cheaper then HDFC Ergo also. Thats a Double Win. Cheaper / free + better health.

I have 3 year old policy Aditya Birla Diamond but I havent used it once yet. Thinking of internal porting if possible or buy new policy. Is this recommended?

jack333

TF Legend
Contributor
VIP Lounge
They've increased the premium by 20% after I've taken but its still comparatively cheaper than others

jack333

TF Legend
Contributor
VIP Lounge
This increase is every year or the price stays constant within age bracket?
Don't know that but i think they increased the premium after three months only. The pdf I've shared is new rate which is still very good

hs23new

TF Premier
Looked at all options, thinking of porting to Reliance General Insurance Health Gain for 1 year - its the cheapest, with decent ICR (86.31% for 22-23), and covers the hospital in my area. Any advice on this?

quino

TF Premier
RML Group
GR8 development
i don't think it's useful. insurance companies will reject cashless claim citing some bs & later you'll do reimbursement as usual, and they'll give you the money then.

shivms112233

TF Buzz
The second example you gave of 10l base + 40L super top-up. There are a few concerns here, of which you must be aware.

1. This is not a single policy of 10L+40L. These are two separate policies = 10L base policy separate and 40L super top policy separate. Since both policies are separate, so their t&C might differ like some diseases might not be covered in your super top-up policy. Usually super-top up features are not same or attractive as your main policy

2. Claim experience is a little hampered in this combination because since there are 2 policies so for a larger claim, it might take more time to get settlement.

3. Since both policies are separate, there is a chance that the super-top up policy gets discontinued by the insurer anytime in future.In such a case you would just be left with the base sum insured policy only, and increasing the base sum insured later is complicated and will attract medical assessment and underwriting again, and there are chances the insurance company might deny increasing it.

4. Super-top policy is a new product altogether in the insurance industry. This was basically designed to target those ppl (mainly business or HNI ppl)who didn't take insurance at all. These ppl were those who thought 10-20L claims can be easily paid by them without any extra finacial burden, so why to purchase policy for that. Hence companies designed this super-top up product, by selling very high cover like 1cr at a very nominal premium with a deductible option.
Since super-top up is a new product , insurance pandits don't consider it to be reliable still for the future, meaning they think that insurance companies might discontinue these policies in future as more n more are opting for these poliocies or might increase the premium to match it with the regular base policy cover only. u

To conclude, first and important thing is here to check what your super-top-up policy covers. If it is sufficent as per your needs then go with the base+super top combination without any doubt.
Thanks for the explanation. It is really helpful.
Therefore, I am leaning towards HDFC optima super secure with 25L coverage, for both parents, as it provides at least 2X coverage, i.e., of 50L (as per their policy wordings).

Reactions: CD.