• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

How to choose best health insurance for super topup?

msankadi

TF Premier
I have company insurance for upto 5L and have some other health insurance with government with my family as floater.

For past 2 years we had star health super topup above 5L for 15L or something....cost was about 10k per year

I want to renew this year in June but have heard really bad thing about Star health from people

1. How do I choose the right super topup plan which is reliable? As we are going to be 40 next year I want to take a plan and then stick to it
2. Can I port my existing health policy to another insurance provider or that will start from 0?

Please let me know if you have any other questions for helping me

Learner

TF Select
1. No room rent, no/low co-pay, in-house claim team is favourable, good network of hospitals, coverage etc you can compare and lastly premium for few shortlisted insurers.
I have a little bias towards ICICI, HDFC, or Tata to start with. BTW HDFC don't have much higher super top up available. This is imp considering in 4-5 years if you have to increase coverage amount.

2. You can port, subject to the new insurers acceptance/policies. I think porting needs to initiated 30 or 45 days before policy expiration. (Check for actual timeline)
Most of the standard benefits will be ported and the new insurer will provide all the details about the policy and underlying tnc.

msankadi

TF Premier
1. No room rent, no/low co-pay, in-house claim team is favourable, good network of hospitals, coverage etc you can compare and lastly premium for few shortlisted insurers.
I have a little bias towards ICICI, HDFC, or Tata to start with. BTW HDFC don't have much higher super top up available. This is imp considering in 4-5 years if you have to increase coverage amount.

2. You can port, subject to the new insurers acceptance/policies. I think porting needs to initiated 30 or 45 days before policy expiration. (Check for actual timeline)
Most of the standard benefits will be ported and the new insurer will provide all the details about the policy and underlying tnc.
Thanks any thoughts on Aditya Birla health insurance? Also any idea on how to port? Is it online?

KLB@96

TF Premier
I have company insurance for upto 5L and have some other health insurance with government with my family as floater.

For past 2 years we had star health super topup above 5L for 15L or something....cost was about 10k per year

I want to renew this year in June but have heard really bad thing about Star health from people

1. How do I choose the right super topup plan which is reliable? As we are going to be 40 next year I want to take a plan and then stick to it
2. Can I port my existing health policy to another insurance provider or that will start from 0?

I have the same 5lacs I bought top up cover from apollo its super cheap and benefits looks good do check 24/7 app

its_karan

TF Ace
company insurance for upto 5L and have some other health insurance with government with my family as floater.
Always choose the Super Top-up with the same insurer as the Base insurance

This will help when you file a claim and you will not have to run around TPA with two insurers
More than Premium there are other important factors to see

• Claim settlement Ratio
  • Average claim settled vs Asked amount
  • And Consistency
When I researched about this 2 years ago, shortlisted two names

Went with the same insurer which Family Floater Base insurance was.
Search on YT:
  • Beshak
  • Gurleen Kaur Tikku
bad thing about Star health from people
Once their IPO Came

Reality unfolded

msankadi

TF Premier
Always choose the Super Top-up with the same insurer as the Base insurance

This will help when you file a claim and you will not have to run around TPA with two insurers

More than Premium there are other important factors to see

• Claim settlement Ratio
  • Average claim settled vs Asked amount
  • And Consistency

When I researched about this 2 years ago, shortlisted two names

Went with the same insurer which Family Floater Base insurance was.

Search on YT:
  • Beshak
  • Gurleen Kaur Tikku

Once their IPO Came

Reality unfolded
Thank you for your post with all the details.

I have an ABSL health insurance from my company. If I buy a personal health super top up would that qualify as "same TPA"?

I will check the above KPIs for ABSL to see how they fare

Have subscribed to the 2 yt channels.

One basic question: Do you know if I can port an existing policy online or that will need to be done offline only?

its_karan

TF Ace
ABSL health insurance from my company
I hope you know to convert this into Personal Health Insurance before(if) you switch

If I buy a personal health super top up would that qualify as "same TPA"?
Family Floater Coverage and Insurer will also come into this Q

I will check the above KPIs for ABSL to see how they fare
Sure, Take 2-3 years data
One basic question: Do you know if I can port an existing policy online or that will need to be done offline only?
Check insurer