Axis Bank Co-branded Credit Cards Huge Devaluation - MCC Exclusion List

VikasBhindwar

Huge devaluation alert!
Axis bank devalued their multiple co-branded credit cards.
Purchases made towards government services, insurance, education, and rental payments shall not be eligible for Cashback/reward on Airtel Axis, Samsung Axis, Freecharge Axis, LIC Axis and Axis SpiceJet co-branded credit cards from 10th December 2023.

One positive thing is, axis vistara co-branded credit cards are not included in the list.

Screenshot_20231109-201835_Samsung Notes.jpg

• ktb-mcc-exclusion-categories.pdf
    139.1 KB · Views: 30
Last edited by a moderator:

Insurance payments will not be getting any cashback from dec 10 2023 via axis freecharge credit cards

I didn't understand your point of "freecharge ondeck payments"
The first thing you should know that is, FreeCharge wallet load or other payments have UTILITY MCC (4900).

So it won't be devaluating soon because this is the key feature (UTILITY MCC) of this card.

Ondeck means, transaction done on FreeCharge app.

Non-Ondeck means transaction done via via FreeCharge website i.e. non-app transaction.

In both cases utility & merchant is same, so for 5/1% cashback fetching, everything depends on this ondeck system.

avikrish

The first thing you should know that is, FreeCharge wallet load or other payments have UTILITY MCC (4900).

So it won't be devaluating soon because this is the key feature (UTILITY MCC) of this card.

Non-Ondeck means transaction done via via FreeCharge website i.e. non-app transaction.

In both cases utility & merchant is same, so for 5/1% cashback fetching, everything depends on this ondeck system.
Thanks for the explanation, will we be able to know what is the mcc before proceeding with the payment? Or any other way we can know about this mcc ?

sri222

I have done Mobile recharge and Insurance payment via freecharge app in October 2023.

The merchant name is same for both the transactions. Statement showing different category for both as Utilities and Insurance.

I have contacted Customer support, they told me MCC for Recharge & Utilities 4814 and for Insurance 6300. So it looks MCC issue already fixed, no cashback on Insurance from next month. @avikrish

• Freecharge.png
    Freecharge.png
    39.5 KB · Views: 12

I have done Mobile recharge and Insurance payment via freecharge app in October 2023.

The merchant name is same for both the transactions. Statement showing different category for both as Utilities and Insurance.

I have contacted Customer support, they told me MCC for Recharge & Utilities 4814 and for Insurance 6300. So it looks MCC issue already fixed, no cashback on Insurance from next month. @avikrish
Then this is the end as they separated MCC for insurance transactions.

Till now they have been using single MCC for all transactions be it, Utility payment, wallet load or anything.

pothi

Was remembering this one of my friend has 6 connection airtel he was doing recharge his account got flagged :(
all his spends are genuine

He has postpaid for him and wife (different number)
For his brother
His own prepaid
one DTH and one for dongle

Wow. What happened then? Did Axis reinstate / reactivate the card? Or did they just bar him from all the benefits (past and future)?

Yeh naya term kaha se ijat kiya ? "Ondeck" ? Axis bank ya freecharge ne kahi likha hai ya khud se he invent kar diye ?

Type kiya phir maine khud he dhund liya Axis k website par "on-deck spends" :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: - https://www.axisbank.com/docs/default-source/default-document-library/cashback-tandc.pdf

Aise yeh 5% cashback pe capping nahi hai na ?

Virgo

Even Magnus and Reserve continue to give points for insurance spends. No restriction there.

Tata Neu Infinity also gives rewards on insurance subject to two restrictions viz.
- Maximum monthly spends of Rs 50k for bill payment only will earn 5% Neu coins
- Each payment of insurance should be below Rs 25k. If it is more than 25k, then credit card option does not appear as payment mode

avikrish

Even Magnus and Reserve continue to give points for insurance spends. No restriction there.

Tata Neu Infinity also gives rewards on insurance subject to two restrictions viz.
- Maximum monthly spends of Rs 50k for bill payment only will earn 5% Neu coins
- Each payment of insurance should be below Rs 25k. If it is more than 25k, then credit card option does not appear as payment mode
Then Tata neu infinity is of no use for insurance, generally insurance payments in range of 30-50k