• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

A bit of a paranoid question regarding Add On Cards

LiamHouse

TF Buzz
So, this post is for my older relative who is very paranoid about add on cards. They think that if add on cards are issued and the OTP goes to the add on holder then there is a chance for this holder to get scam messages or emails which have the potential to endanger the primary holder's bank savings/current account. This is specifically for HDFC cards.

They think that since their credit card is linked to their netbanking portal, any add on card will have similar privileges and if compromised, will allow the scammer to access the primary's netbanking portal which will give them all access to their HDFC accounts. They are so paranoid they don't even use any banking apps or their netbanking on their phone. They are willing to give their personal card over for purchases instead of getting an add on, which is clearly riskier.

How can I go about explaining it to them that add on cards only acts as a sort of guarantee/"I'm responsible for this person's usage" from the primary for the bank to give the benefits/credit to an otherwise ineligible individual and that there is no way that their banking accounts will be under any threat by letting the add on OTP being sent to the add on's holders phone number.

Please refrain from making any negative comments as I'm only looking to assist this person and help reduce their anxiety.

LiamHouse

TF Buzz
Use card controls.. set the limit.. give the card.
Yeah, I understand that, but they think as otp goes to the add on holder's phone, it introduces an attack entry point into primary's netbanking account which has all their HDFC accounts. How can I explain it to them that it is not how it works.

shrewdoc

TF Ace
Yeah, I understand that, but they think as otp goes to the add on holder's phone, it introduces an attack entry point into primary's netbanking account which has all their HDFC accounts. How can I explain it to them that it is not how it works.
Add-on card is not shown to Primary's Net Banking is what I read in the forum. It is linked to the add-on holder's netbanking. You can control both the cards through logging into Primary's MyCards portal if you wish to do so.

Also, HDFC asks for OTPs if you're logging from a new Device ID or Mac Address. Even if you open HDFC Mobile Banking app, your geolocation is continuously tagged.

Digital Banking is mostly safe nowadays. The funny thing is, sharing your physical documents is more scarier now.

Hemang

TF Premier
I took add on millenia cc on my mother's hdfc account, but it does not show on my hdfc netbanking, but only on my mother's hdfc account. Moreover i took the add on card in december 2023, at that time, add on card from hdfc had same number and mobile number too that of my mother. After knowing this fact i had to fill a form to modify the mobile number only in the Credit card so that i could use the card effectively.