• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

20% TCS on all international transactions done using a credit card

sgoyal9

TF Select
VIP Lounge
Let’s get some key facts straight:

This government does not care about anyone who might be affected by this change.
Simply put, they are already adding a large number of exceptions in place. The uber rich are already exempt. How? Quite simple actually. They will classify their trips as "business" or they can use their foreign bank accounts that they hold. No big deal for them.
Some of rich can get away with fake education/medical portrayals. Most will not have a salary based income hence can claim TCS in a quarter's time rather than the full year+.
The only people that have been hit are again the middle class. The people who are finding it too hard/unsatisfying to travel locally due to the massive tax hike recently on hospitality businesses.
The lower middle or lower income classes are unconcerned by this change entirely and hence the government is unconcerned about the ones who are affected.

We will give a piece of our mind to the government in 2024 or how they are antagonising even educated people, etc.
It really hardly matters. Most financial devices are already under the LRS scheme. The change is for credit cards. There are only 77 million active credit cards in India. I am guessing basically <5% of the population has one. Then out of that very small percentage, very very few will have the means for international travel. Let's put that around 10%. So, essentially 0.5% of the population. That too in the group of people that vote the least :). They are antagonising us because they can easily get away with it.

It is always the salaried MIDDLE class which takes the brunt of any and all new taxes any government introduces.
My thoughts on the change itself is very simple:
Do you like rewards or do you like to spend freely?

If you are unconcerned about the rewards/convenience offered by credit cards then go on your trip and convert money into local currency immediately. That one big transaction will have TCS but then you can go about your trip without having to save each little receipt and worrying about it again and again. Or you could just purchase a ForEx card like the good old days but with a 20% markup :).

Essentially, this is a 20% savings deduction for salaried people every time they take a trip. That savings interest is being gobbled up by the government.
Let's say you had 10L saved up for a big international family trip after 4 years. Rather than having 10L to spend, now you have 8L. However, you cannot even get interest on the 2L you "saved." Your government gets it; so essentially you lose approximately 2L*0.07 ~ 14K in unrealised interest.

This government loves TCS/TDS and then says the economy is not expanding. Uhmmmm, how will it? You have completely crushed the spending power of the middle class. The law abiding middle class might I add.

My suggestion is to not think about it too much. The net loss is small in monetary terms. Approximately, 1.4% (considering 20% TCS and 7% savings interest loss on that) on the total amount of foreign expenditure. This will mean that you just have to plan a bit further ahead when taking that well deserved vacation.

gurbina

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
This is the equivalent of paying a security deposit before you spend to make sure you file your taxes.

I can't imagine the burden this will also put on the tax department or how ITR filing will be affected and scrutinized, as well as the necessary documents/records to claim it back.

Karthi52

TF Buzz
My suggestion is to not think about it too much. The net loss is small in monetary terms. Approximately, 1.4% (considering 20% TCS and 7% savings interest loss on that) on the total amount of foreign expenditure. This will mean that you just have to plan a bit further ahead when taking that well deserved vacation.

while i agree with most of ur points. that is not 1.4%. there are people paying 1.4% interest a month in homeloans / or other loans and still have foreign trips officially or for business . For them it is 1.4 % interest loss per month of wait

thanix

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Last page posts - no one is against getting credit cards into LRS which should be done.

But why remove the 7L threshold altogether?

Despite the challenges, I reached this stage in life to go for a international family travel after saving for years. This is without so called exempted income, cash income, agriculture income, so and so. If you are trying to snatch it from me by raising the threshold and I have to slog and save more from my salary, I will make sure to teach a lesson in the election.

No wonder emigration of talent is real.

By far the worst thing that can happen to credit cards and travellers. Even for educational or medical purposes, what if i am staying abroad and paying my tenant or restaurant via a card? direct 20% even if u are travelling for medical/ educational issue. take a taxi- 020% wow. take a coffee and pay 20% extra and wait for 9-12 months or even more for a refund lol .people atleast now should realise the value of a Vote
Well.. I hope ppl don't fall for the relegious and nationalism politics for the 3rd time next year.

Last edited:

KyloRen

TF Buzz
So many of my friends and colleagues go to other countries to pass their medical licensing tests, paying out of their hard earned money, making ends meet, borrowing from others. This retarded government wants to make it harder. The sufferers are mostly the middle and lower class for whom 2L on 10L spends is too much.

ccdc

TF Ace
Last page posts - no one is against getting credit cards into LRS which should be done.

But why remove the 7L threshold altogether?

Despite the challenges, I reached this stage in life to go for a international family travel after saving for years. This is without so called exempted income, cash income, agriculture income, so and so. If you are trying to snatch it from me by raising the threshold and I have to slog and save more from my salary, I will make sure to teach a lesson in the election.

No wonder emigration of talent is real.
I don't hijack a plane... Why do I have to go thru security checks and waste my time. My time is precious to me. I work hard and every minute wasted is actual amount wasted. After all time is money... If everyone will play victim card and want laws to not apply/enforce on them just coz they don't do it.. then a country can have no laws only coz you can't make individual laws for 140cr ppl... Try and understand this before playing your sobbing victim card in this particular case.

ccdc

TF Ace
So many of my friends and colleagues go to other countries to pass their medical licensing tests, paying out of their hard earned money, making ends meet, borrowing from others. This retarded government wants to make it harder. The sufferers are mostly the middle and lower class for whom 2L on 10L spends is too much.
No middle class has the capacity to spend 10L on foreign vacations... This is upper middle class. And i believe if you can spend 10L on a vacation, you can spend extra 2L as well on TCS and claim it back.

tdot

TF Select
No middle class has the capacity to spend 10L on foreign vacations... This is upper middle class. And i believe if you can spend 10L on a vacation, you can spend extra 2L as well on TCS and claim it back.
Yep with this going live no middle class will ever dream to vacation abroad with their family. I’m sure you and millions of other fanatics like you must be calling it a genius stroke by the government to encourage domestic tourism.

Sreerag

TF Premier
The implementation of TCS is done in a bad way. Consumer is thinking he has to shell out an extra 20% but instead if he pays his Taxes! The Government has done a wonderful job but the implementation is so poor.

thanix

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
I don't hijack a plane... Why do I have to go thru security checks and waste my time. My time is precious to me. I work hard and every minute wasted is actual amount wasted. After all time is money... If everyone will play victim card and want laws to not apply/enforce on them just coz they don't do it.. then a country can have no laws only coz you can't make individual laws for 140cr ppl... Try and understand this before playing your sobbing victim card in this particular case.
I am tired of fan boys. What is so riling up you when I write about voting? My vote may not count but I will exercise the choice as per my wish and factors impacting me.

By the way, Do you know the govt readied differential TCS in car buying 1% for ITR filers and 5% for non filers?

Go and do you preaching elsewhere.

chasni

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
I don't agree. Going on an international holiday after saving for few years doesn't make an upper middle class. Secondly, this new rules doesn't provide much gain in terms of tax net for the government but certainly creates more inconvenience to people. This is not just about holiday abroad. If it was limited to that I personally would have been fine, however, this relates to any foreign transaction on CC. Now, don't say that buying a few items from abroad because it is not available in India skyrockets me to upper class.

Avid_snake

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
People are ok with security check as long as it is 1-2 hours before the flight time. Even there steps are being taken to reduce time like Digi Yatra. Think if government wanted you to reach 24 hours before flight for security check everytime, will people agree.

Same here, the intention maybe good but implementation is poor. 20% is a hefty amount. Could have been 1%, could have been 5%, could have been after a limit. But government has decided on a way which will hurt the middle class heavily

tdot

TF Select
Has anyone received notification of this new change and its implementation by Banks ? I remember seeing ICICI bank email on the subject what about Amex and others ?

Mohur

TF Select
VIP Lounge
So I have been giving this implementation a thought and the motive behind it.
The govt wants to strengthen the Indian economy so this change will discourage people to spend on foreign merchants.

The problem is there is no Indian alternative for those merchants. We have so many software purchases, foreign freelancers etc to pay. In 2 months time, there cannot be Indian alternatives for them.

I mean the underlying infrastructure is not there in terms of merchants. That is why this change pinches us as a forced decision.
This will encourage people to keep their earnings in foreign banks only and make expenses from those foreign accounts only.

Yesterday I was watching a video of a person who has setup virtual office in Dubai and has real proof documents just because Dubai has 0 taxation on earnings and then India has double tax avoidance treaty with Dubai.

That is what the govt will get out of this move.