• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Ministry of Finance Releases FAQs on Omission of Rule 7 of FEMA Act 2000: Simplifying FAQs

TechnoFino

Founder
TF Family
Founder
Admin
Ministry of finance released some FAQs regarding the omission of rule 7 of FEMA (current account transaction) act 2000.

What is the reason behind the increase in rates of TCS?
  • The payment of TCS is not a final tax
  • If the TCS payee is a taxpayer, he can claim credit for the TCS as his tax payment against regular income and adjust it against the advance tax etc., payments accordingly.
  • If the TCS is of a person not being a taxpayer, then the 20% rate on such presumed income is not high. The tax rate slab of 20% starts in the new regime for incomes over Rs 12 lacs and is 30% for incomes over Rs 15 lacs.
  • Instances have come to notice where the LRS payments are disproportionately high when compared to the disclosed incomes
  • No changes in medical or Education expenses- Position stays as it was before the
  • Finance Act 2023.
  • Primary Impact only on investment in assets such as real estate, bonds, stocks outside India by HNI and tour travel packages or gifts to non-residents.
  • Those individuals remitting from their own funds are normally expected to be higher-income taxpayers, and for those remitting through institutional loans for education, a concessional rate of 0.5% is provided.
What are the changes or increases in rates of TCS?

FwZ8kFCaIAATkkE.jpeg

What is the impact on travel and incidental expenses related to education and medical treatment?

For TCS on remittance for travel and incidental expenses related to education and medical treatment, the rates of TCS as applicable to remittances for education and medical treatment, respectively, shall apply. A detailed clarification will be issued separately.

What was the need for the notification?

While on a visit abroad, a person could use interational debit cards or other methods or international credit cards for undertaking current account transactions. Payments by debit cards etc. have been treated as LRS even earlier. Due to the exemption under erstwhile Rule 7, expenditures through credit cards were not accounted for under the specified LRS limit, which has led to some individuals exceeding the LRS limits. Data collected from top money remitters under LRS reveals that international credit cards are being issued with limits in excess of the present LRS limit of USD 2,50,000. The differential treatment between debit cards and credit cards needed to be removed in the interest of uniformity and equity in the treatment of modes of drawal of foreign exchange and for capturing total expenditures under LRS for prudent foreign exchange management and to prevent bypassing of LRS limits.
RBI had written to the goverment on more than one occasion, pointing to the need to remove this differential treatment.

What is Liberalised Remittance Scheme (LRS)?

Under the Liberalised Remittance Scheme, all resident individuals, including minors, are allowed to freely remit up to USD 2,50,000 per financial year (April - March) for any permissible current or capital account transaction or a combination of both. Further, resident individuals can avail of foreign exchange facility for the purposes mentioned in Para 1 of Schedule III of FEM (CAT) Rules 2000 within the limit of USD 2,50,000 only. The Scheme is not available to corporates, partnership firms, HUF, Trusts etc.

Does LRS cover business visits of employees?

No. When an employee is being deputed by an entity for any of the above, and the expenses are borne by the latter, such expenses shall be treated as residual current account transactions outside LRS and may be permitted by the AD without any limit, subject to verifying the bonafide of the transaction.
All FAQ pages are attached with this thread.

Let's simplify those FAQs:

1. Why is the government bringing credit cards under the LRS scheme?
    • The government is bringing credit cards under the LRS scheme to address misuse of this method for transferring amounts exceeding USD 2.5 Lakhs. The RBI requested the government to include credit cards in the LRS scheme.
  2. Why is the TCS rate increasing from 5% to 20%?
    • The new tax regime has a 20% tax rate slab for incomes over Rs 12 lakhs and 30% for incomes over Rs 15 lakhs. The government assumes that individuals traveling outside India (excluding medical and education purposes) have an income exceeding Rs 12 lakhs per year. The TCS can be adjusted against advance tax or final tax returns.
    • Primary Impact only on investment in assets such as real estate, bonds, stocks outside India by HNI and tour travel packages or gifts to non-residents.
  3. What is the impact on travel and incidental expenses related to education and medical treatment?
    • If you are visiting a foreign country for medical or educational purposes, expenses such as food, accommodation, transportation, etc., will fall under the 5% TCS slab.
  4. Does business travel sponsored by a company come under the LRS scheme?
    • No, in that case, TCS will not be deducted.
  5. Is TCS applicable to corporate credit cards?
    • If the cards are issued against the company's PAN, they will not attract any TCS. Such methods are not included in the LRS scheme.

Update on 19th May, 2023:

The Ministry of Finance has recently issued a clarification regarding the implementation of TCS (Tax Collected at Source) on credit card and debit card transactions from July 1, 2023.
FwfsJShaEAQbkuH.jpeg
According to the latest notification, any individual making payments using their international debit or credit cards up to Rs. 7 lakh per financial year will be excluded from the LRS (Liberalized Remittance Scheme) limits. This means that these transactions will not attract any TCS. Additionally, the existing TCS exemption for education and health payments will continue to apply.

So, you can enjoy TCS-free international transactions up to
  • Rs. 7 lakhs for medical purposes
  • Rs. 7 lakhs for educational purposes
  • and another Rs. 7 lakhs for other purposes
Once you exceed the TCS-free limit, a 5% TCS will be applicable for medical and educational transactions, while a 20% TCS will be levied for all other transactions.

Attachments

• FwZ8k1HaUAIuryv.jpeg
    FwZ8k1HaUAIuryv.jpeg
    352.8 KB · Views: 17
  • FwZ8k1IaMAAejmD.jpeg
    FwZ8k1IaMAAejmD.jpeg
    397.3 KB · Views: 10
  • FwZ8k2hacAEzht-.jpeg
    FwZ8k2hacAEzht-.jpeg
    263.9 KB · Views: 8
  • FwZ8kFKaAAAdhoJ.jpeg
    FwZ8kFKaAAAdhoJ.jpeg
    67.2 KB · Views: 7
  • FwZ8kFLaAAEmdlM.jpeg
    FwZ8kFLaAAEmdlM.jpeg
    338.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Stratosphere

TF Select
VIP Lounge
How will they know if a certain expense falls under medical or educational purposes on a real-time basis and accordingly direct banks to only charge 5% TCS? Sounds kind of impossible?

helloworld

TF Legend
Could someone explain in simple terms, what will happen if..

- Purchase something in foreign currency like games or amzn.com?

- Travel (1 week vacation) to foreign but paid through like mmt or spend there in foreign currency?

Do I have to pay additionally 20% irrespective of amount?

(I'm sure it explained above but my little brain not grabbing those points)

help..

ccdc

TF Ace
haha...ppl saying dont press lotus button in next election...can......you know the feelings...cant write here...coz it'll be removed by "moderators"
How will they know if a certain expense falls under medical or educational purposes on a real-time basis and accordingly direct banks to only charge 5% TCS? Sounds kind of impossible?
mcc code...

ccdc

TF Ace

- Travel (1 week vacation) to foreign but paid through like mmt or spend there in foreign currency?

help..
1) should be 20% tcs
2) payment in indian currency on mmt..no issues...payment in foreign currency for travel (leisure purposes)...20% tcs

TechnoFino

Founder
TF Family
Founder
Admin

help..
1. you have to pay TCS
2. Doesn't matter if the travel agent is Indian or foreign company, if you are booking international tour package, you have to pay TCS.
3. Yes, but you can claim that while filing ITR

Stratosphere

TF Select
VIP Lounge
haha...ppl saying dont press lotus button in next election...can......you know the feelings...cant write here...coz it'll be removed by "moderators"

mcc code...
No. I meant what if I am there in the UK for education purposes and I decide to have a cup of coffee? What does it fall under? And how will they track it in real time to decide what TCS to charge me?

ccdc

TF Ace
No. I meant what if I am there in the UK for education purposes and I decide to have a cup of coffee? What does it fall under? And how will they track it in real time to decide what TCS to charge me?
sadly i'm not an employee of the concerned departments....but i think the mcc code would say if you're at a coffee shop or university

helloworld

TF Legend
1. you have to pay TCS
2. Doesn't matter if the travel agent is Indian or foreign company, if you are booking international tour package, you have to pay TCS.
3. Yes, but you can claim that while filing ITR

Thanks, it is clear somewhat now.

So it will be like FD (but TDS deducted at source), and claim during tax filing. Got it.

Anycase, once they deduct means it will be gone, unless I do some drastic measure & home loans etc, can't recover that. :(

Also, if possible, could you answer the following analysis?

Ex: Purchased $8 item from Amzn + $3 shipping

1. Now, have to pay 20% on total $11 or $8 only? and this 20% equivalent to Indian Rs. or $?

Ex: Book a travel tickets worth 1,00,000 + room cost, food cost etc. paid through debit card/credit card apprx. $450

2. Now, including water bottle cost I have to pay 20% extra of this whole ($450+1,00,000)?

3. In this whole cases, I have to collect TDS certificate from amzn, mmt, room (whoever provides), debit card, credit card or any single source?

Thanks again..

ccdc

TF Ace
Thanks, it is clear somewhat now.

So it will be like FD (but TDS deducted at source), and claim during tax filing. Got it.

Anycase, once they deduct means it will be gone, unless I do some drastic measure & home loans etc, can't recover that. :(

Also, if possible, could you answer the following analysis?

Ex: Purchased $8 item from Amzn + $3 shipping

1. Now, have to pay 20% on total $11 or $8 only? and this 20% equivalent to Indian Rs. or $?

Ex: Book a travel tickets worth 1,00,000 + room cost, food cost etc. paid through debit card/credit card apprx. $450

2. Now, including water bottle cost I have to pay 20% extra of this whole ($450+1,00,000)?

3. In this whole cases, I have to collect TDS certificate from amzn, mmt, room (whoever provides), debit card, credit card or any single source?

Thanks again..
1) should be 20% of 11 bucks. ideally 20% should be on rupee converted amt.
2) should be 20% of USD+INR amt
3) they will collect and deposit. you can view in 26AS/AIS.

pls chk with a CA once on all this as i'm not an expert.

Copycat

TF Ace
VIP Lounge

1) should be 20% tcs

1. you have to pay TCS

I think you will not have to pay TCS
Q2 and Q5 list out what LRS is applicable to. i.e. what qualifies as a remittance
The last table in Q4 only states all other remittances. An expense would first have to qualify as a remittance as per Q2 and Q5 and buying games on the US Amazon site doesn't qualify
Please take whatever I say with a tablespoon of salt as I am not an accountant

Aree lana heen kyon h,jo jaisa phle chal rha tha chalne doh kya takleef h iss government ko kbhi crypto m tax kbhi isme usme aree lena bhi h 1-2 chalo max 5 loh,lkin lena bhi kyon phla vala niyam heen thik tha naa, guy's we have to do something, it's not joke at all

Again 7 lakh threshold has been applied after widespread hue and cry
No TCS on overseas spending of up to Rs 7 lakh in a year by credit or debit cards: Govt clarifies
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...ards-govt-clarifies/articleshow/100361060.cms
Download the TOI app now:
Hey even 7L is not enough and only on dc and cc, all other remittance still have to give 20 percent TCS,why it's needed,well before everything is fine, 🤔 we are not anyone slave that what they rule make and we have to follow everything should be in a limit

John Wick

TF Select
VIP Lounge
Ministry of finance released some FAQs regarding the omission of rule 7 of FEMA (current account transaction) act 2000.

What is the reason behind the increase in rates of TCS?
  • The payment of TCS is not a final tax
  • If the TCS payee is a taxpayer, he can claim credit for the TCS as his tax payment against regular income and adjust it against the advance tax etc., payments accordingly.
  • If the TCS is of a person not being a taxpayer, then the 20% rate on such presumed income is not high. The tax rate slab of 20% starts in the new regime for incomes over Rs 12 lacs and is 30% for incomes over Rs 15 lacs.
  • Instances have come to notice where the LRS payments are disproportionately high when compared to the disclosed incomes
  • No changes in medical or Education expenses- Position stays as it was before the
  • Finance Act 2023.
  • Those individuals remitting from their own funds are normally expected to be higher-income taxpayers, and for those remitting through institutional loans for education, a concessional rate of 0.5% is provided.
What are the changes or increases in rates of TCS?

FwZ8kFCaIAATkkE.jpeg

What is the impact on travel and incidental expenses related to education and medical treatment?

For TCS on remittance for travel and incidental expenses related to education and medical treatment, the rates of TCS as applicable to remittances for education and medical treatment, respectively, shall apply. A detailed clarification will be issued separately.

What was the need for the notification?

While on a visit abroad, a person could use interational debit cards or other methods or international credit cards for undertaking current account transactions. Payments by debit cards etc. have been treated as LRS even earlier. Due to the exemption under erstwhile Rule 7, expenditures through credit cards were not accounted for under the specified LRS limit, which has led to some individuals exceeding the LRS limits. Data collected from top money remitters under LRS reveals that international credit cards are being issued with limits in excess of the present LRS limit of USD 2,50,000. The differential treatment between debit cards and credit cards needed to be removed in the interest of uniformity and equity in the treatment of modes of drawal of foreign exchange and for capturing total expenditures under LRS for prudent foreign exchange management and to prevent bypassing of LRS limits.
RBI had written to the goverment on more than one occasion, pointing to the need to remove this differential treatment.

What is Liberalised Remittance Scheme (LRS)?

Under the Liberalised Remittance Scheme, all resident individuals, including minors, are allowed to freely remit up to USD 2,50,000 per financial year (April - March) for any permissible current or capital account transaction or a combination of both. Further, resident individuals can avail of foreign exchange facility for the purposes mentioned in Para 1 of Schedule III of FEM (CAT) Rules 2000 within the limit of USD 2,50,000 only. The Scheme is not available to corporates, partnership firms, HUF, Trusts etc.

Does LRS cover business visits of employees?

No. When an employee is being deputed by an entity for any of the above, and the expenses are borne by the latter, such expenses shall be treated as residual current account transactions outside LRS and may be permitted by the AD without any limit, subject to verifying the bonafide of the transaction.
All FAQ pages are attached with this thread.

Let's simplify those FAQs:

1. Why is the government bringing credit cards under the LRS scheme?
    • The government is bringing credit cards under the LRS scheme to address misuse of this method for transferring amounts exceeding USD 2.5 Lakhs. The RBI requested the government to include credit cards in the LRS scheme.
  2. Why is the TCS rate increasing from 5% to 20%?
    • The new tax regime has a 20% tax rate slab for incomes over Rs 12 lakhs and 30% for incomes over Rs 15 lakhs. The government assumes that individuals traveling outside India (excluding medical and education purposes) have an income exceeding Rs 12 lakhs per year. The TCS can be adjusted against advance tax or final tax returns.
  3. What is the impact on travel and incidental expenses related to education and medical treatment?
    • If you are visiting a foreign country for medical or educational purposes, expenses such as food, accommodation, transportation, etc., will fall under the 5% TCS slab.
  4. Does business travel sponsored by a company come under the LRS scheme?
    • No, in that case, TCS will not be deducted.
  5. Is TCS applicable to corporate credit cards?
    • If the cards are issued against the company's PAN, they will not attract any TCS. Such methods are not included in the LRS scheme.

Update on 19th May, 2023:

The Ministry of Finance has recently issued a clarification regarding the implementation of TCS (Tax Collected at Source) on credit card and debit card transactions from July 1, 2023.
FwfsJShaEAQbkuH.jpeg
According to the latest notification, any individual making payments using their international debit or credit cards up to Rs. 7 lakh per financial year will be excluded from the LRS (Liberalized Remittance Scheme) limits. This means that these transactions will not attract any TCS. Additionally, the existing TCS exemption for education and health payments will continue to apply.

So, you can enjoy TCS-free international transactions up to
  • Rs. 7 lakhs for medical purposes
  • Rs. 7 lakhs for educational purposes
  • and another Rs. 7 lakhs for other purposes
Once you exceed the TCS-free limit, a 5% TCS will be applicable for medical and educational transactions, while a 20% TCS will be levied for all other transactions.
Great share mate. Please help understand better as per scenario that one goes abroad to study say for 2 years,

1. how much tcs will these attract:

Buying laptop
Rent for accommodation
Food expenses
Travel expenditure
University fees
Books, supplies, stationary
Insurance payments

2. Given all the expenses are done because of educational purpose and not as tourism or bringing stuff back to india to sell, etc. Now how will govt get to know that one bought laptop, paying for food, rent to support study. How will govt count all this expense under educational purpose.

3. Obviously this amount will be more than 7 lakhs in an year even if counted under education expense. Min tuition fees abroad is 12-15 lakh for an year. Considering other expenses it will easily go beyond 20L.

TechnoFino

Founder
TF Family
Founder
Admin
Great share mate. Please help understand better as per scenario that one goes abroad to study say for 2 years,

1. how much tcs will these attract:

Buying laptop
Rent for accommodation
Food expenses
Travel expenditure
University fees
Books, supplies, stationary
Insurance payments

2. Given all the expenses are done because of educational purpose and not as tourism or bringing stuff back to india to sell, etc. Now how will govt get to know that one bought laptop, paying for food, rent to support study. How will govt count all this expense under educational purpose.

3. Obviously this amount will be more than 7 lakhs in an year even if counted under education expense. Min tuition fees abroad is 12-15 lakh for an year. Considering other expenses it will easily go beyond 20L.

1. It should be 5% (7L TCS free per year) as per MOF, implementation/process will be notified later by the RBI.
2. It's a challenge, maybe GOI will impose some maximum expense capping.
3. True, GOI should increase TCS free remittance according to current data for education & medical