• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

20% TCS on all international transactions done using a credit card

srichaitanya

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
is 20% TCS applicable on only international tour packages?
If we book international flights or hotels individually, is TCS applicable?

thanix

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Lol...how do you differentiate between non itr filers and itr filers when you make a transaction outside India...
It is very easy for forex, debit account and credit card as you can easily or already tied to pan card. Just check the forex transactions against pan and check ITR status. Send notice to them or after first transaction, start charging them higher rate. Or to enable forex transactions, check previous year ITR filing status and determine rate of TCS.

With software and AI, all of it is possible and it needs will to implement.

sam4

TF Buzz
What if I book international flight of air india(indian carrier) via MMT (indian merchant) (eg BOM to DEL to NY), how TCS will be calculated?

ccdc

TF Ace
It is very easy for forex, debit account and credit card as you can easily or already tied to pan card. Just check the forex transactions against pan and check ITR status. Send notice to them or after first transaction, start charging them higher rate. Or to enable forex transactions, check previous year ITR filing status and determine rate of TCS.

With software and AI, all of it is possible and it needs will to implement.
all this is fine only if credit cards were issued by income tax dept...but they are issued by banks and banks dont have itr info of anyone....and banks are the one who'll charge and deposit the tcs on your behalf.......

as far as cross verifying the data with card spends is concerned...banks will have to give this data for every intl transaction to the dept...this has privacy implications for individual customer where such reporting is otherwise not required....only if you pay 10L to your card account in a FY, it is reported to ITD.

Salvo08

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Manika Halan's take on TCS. Wonder why the Govt does not clarity?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230518-212730.png
    Screenshot_20230518-212730.png
    99 KB · Views: 53

gurbina

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I really hope these last few posts are pure sarcasm. This is a world's first new approach to this that I am aware of, which granted the current government image, it's beyond ridiculous and has very poor credibility/trust. The whole thing just leaves me speechless.

chasni

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
This is done coz there are so many PPL travelling outside India and spending lakhs there and here they declare 0 income or negligible income... Why should salary class pay taxes on time.. let the other Indians also pay taxes and then you can file itr and claim back.

Can you help me understand this as I am not well versed? As far as I know, you can't get a credit card without PAN and if you're spending more than 10 lacs then you get reported to IT dept by the bank. How are these people spending lacs on CC without IT department noticing?

ccdc

TF Ace
Can you help me understand this as I am not well versed? As far as I know, you can't get a credit card without PAN and if you're spending more than 10 lacs then you get reported to IT dept by the bank. How are these people spending lacs on CC without IT department noticing?
incl cc within this framework is rbi's suggestion to govt...coz it was being misused and dollars being sent outside of india breaching the LRS limit....this tcs is been introduced so that ppl who book foreign tours in india will have their tax deducted and deposited with ITD....you can pay for these tours via any medium....debit card, credit card, cash etc....purpose being if you can afford a foreign tour and if your itr doesnt support your expenses...then where is the money coming from....pay tax and then go anywhere you want...

chasni

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
incl cc within this framework is rbi's suggestion to govt...coz it was being misused and dollars being sent outside of india breaching the LRS limit....this tcs is been introduced so that ppl who book foreign tours in india will have their tax deducted and deposited with ITD....you can pay for these tours via any medium....debit card, credit card, cash etc....purpose being if you can afford a foreign tour and if your itr doesnt support your expenses...then where is the money coming from....pay tax and then go anywhere you want...
So why not apply the rule with threshold if LRS was being broken? Why does it have to be done for everyone even for people who spend a low amount?