• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

20% TCS on all international transactions done using a credit card

Dr-green69

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Effective from May 16, 2023, all international transactions made using credit cards will now fall under the Liberalized Remittance Scheme (LRS). Furthermore, a 5% Tax Collected at Source (TCS) will be applicable on all international transactions until July 1, 2023.

Screenshot 2023-05-17 at 9.25.49 PM.png

Currently, a 5% Tax Collected at Source (TCS) will be applicable on transactions exceeding the threshold of Rs. 7 Lakhs in a financial year. This means that if your total spending is below Rs. 7 Lakhs till 1st July, 2023, no TCS will be charged. However, if your spending reaches Rs. 8 Lakhs, the 5% TCS will be applicable only on the amount exceeding Rs. 7 Lakhs, which is Rs. 1 Lakh in this case.

Starting from July 1, 2023, a 20% Tax Collected at Source (TCS) will be applicable on all international transactions conducted using Indian credit cards. Whether you are purchasing a holiday package or indulging in shopping, you will be required to pay a 20% TCS. However, you will have the option to adjust this amount while filing your Income Tax Return (ITR).
Effective immediately, all credit card transactions will be subject to the applicable Liberalized Remittance Scheme (LRS) rules. This means that any total transactions exceeding USD 2.5 lakh or its equivalent in foreign currency will require prior approval from the Reserve Bank of India (RBI).

Furthermore, a 5% Tax Collected at Source (TCS) will be applicable on transactions falling under the medical and education categories, but only for amounts exceeding 7 lakhs. For instance, if you make a payment of Rs. 9 lakhs towards educational institution fees, the 5% TCS will be charged on Rs. 2 lakhs (the amount exceeding 7 lakhs).

Reference/Source: FEMA (Current Account Transactions) Rules, 2000
Ill be paying visa fees of 2 person approx 55000rs per person around 20june and i was thinking of using magnus cc for monthly milestone so do i have to pay 20% on that??

thanix

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Ill be paying visa fees of 2 person approx 55000rs per person around 20june and i was thinking of using magnus cc for monthly milestone so do i have to pay 20% on that??
No, this is not international transaction. Which visa is this? VFS does not accept cards for visa fees for Schengen from my experience.

vigo

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
Absolutely stupidity! Taxing forex spending is reducing disposable income as those who have to travel, will still do and then reduce their spending in India and overseas as their money is stuck with the govt!

vishalm

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
I have corporate credit card issued on company pan card and my name for office uses. Using that card if we make foreign purchases, for that also do we need to pay TCS? and hopefully it does not effect personal it returns ?

TechnoFino

Founder
TF Family
Founder
Admin
I have corporate credit card issued on company pan card and my name for office uses. Using that card if we make foreign purchases, for that also do we need to pay TCS? and hopefully it does not effect personal it returns ?
TCS will be applicable on all cards, if the card was issued on your company's pan then it will not affect your personal ITR

Tensor

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Does it means that for every pound spent on my indian card I'll have to pay 100 + Mark-up fee + GST + 20% TCS on top (assuming 1 GBP = 100 INR)?

Tensor

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Absolutely 💯 from 1st July, 2023
Thanks.. I have a question. How will it affect reward point and monthly milestone calculation? Do I have to manually deduct TCS from the debit amount and adjust my spends to achieve them?

dungeonMaster

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I guess you are mentioning RSU here , the payment is actually made by your company in local currency and equivalent amount is deducted from your salary .
Hence no tcs in this case
Different from RSU, its actually ESPP (Employee Stock Purchase Programme). Deductions are made from salary In this case.

anirban.choudhury

TF Legend
TF Family
VIP Lounge
I think someone having a high rewarding card , now should be using their cards more
For forex transactions .
Say for reserve , you get 2x on that 20% and then you claim it as advanced tax or during ITR
What’s the loss in that infact you earned 2x for nothing :D