• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Yes Bank Reserv + 3X Subscription Plan

Hi everyone,

I am looking for a new card to complement my Infinia. The main goal is to increase the rewards rate for a few lakhs of donations towards NGOs (both Indian and International). BOGO on movies, and rewards on rental and UPI transactions will be great to have but not necessary.

I recently came across the YES Reserv card, along with the 3X subscription offer for all spends. The following is how I see the reward rates:
  • 9% Points on Online Shopping (except on Select categories)**
  • 4.5% Points on Offline Shopping (except on Select categories)
  • 2.25% Points on Select categories
Assuming 25 paise per RP redemption rate, for flights and hotels.

The 9% rewards rate seems just too good to be true. Can anyone confirm? If it is indeed true, then why is this not the most talked about card for Forex transactions?

P.S: I don't mind paying the annual fee given the rewards.

ccrnc

TF Select
VIP Lounge
With all credit cards of all banks, the number of points required to buy Rs. 1000 Amazon pay voucher is the true indicator of the real intrinsic value of the points.
Because Amazon pay voucher can be used to pay for almost everything. (quasi cash).
So it is the benchmark (with the lowest discounting).
That destroys your Magnus Burgundy argument. Makes the actual return 4.8%. Might as well just use SBI CB with travel portals.

drsel

TF Legend
That destroys your Magnus Burgundy argument. Makes the actual return 4.8%. Might as well just use SBI CB with travel portals.
Amazon pay can be bought using Magnus burgundy on Grabdeals 2x.
This gives 9.6% return.

Amazon pay bought using Infinia on Smartbuy 5x gives an even higher return of 12.6% after adjusting the fee of 2.95%

sourpai

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
With all credit cards of all banks, the number of points required to buy Rs. 1000 Amazon pay voucher is the true indicator of the real intrinsic value of the points.
Because Amazon pay voucher can be used to pay for almost everything. (quasi cash).
So it is the benchmark (with the lowest discounting).

For Magnus Burgundy, 10,000 points are required to buy 1000 Amazon Pay voucher (Point redemption). This brings down the return on card at 1.2% (without accelerated categories)

So true value logic with Amazon Pay is not necessarily true. It depends from card to card

drsel

TF Legend
For Magnus Burgundy, 10,000 points are required to buy 1000 Amazon Pay voucher (Point redemption). This brings down the return on card at 1.2% (without accelerated categories)

So true value logic with Amazon Pay is not necessarily true. It depends from card to card
True, the point redemption for Amazon pay vouchers is usually the worst, because banks hardly get a 10% discount for buying Amazon pay in bulk.

but I don't think anyone will buy Amazon pay vouchers using Magnus burgundy points.in the ratio 10:1

They would obviously buy them on Grabdeals 2x to get 9.6% return

ccrnc

TF Select
VIP Lounge
True, the point redemption for Amazon pay vouchers is usually the worst, because banks hardly get a 10% discount for buying Amazon pay in bulk.

but I don't think anyone will buy Amazon pay vouchers using Magnus burgundy points.in the ratio 10:1

They would obviously buy them on Grabdeals 2x to get 9.6% return
I don't think anyone was contesting that. Me and the other commenter were merely pointing out the fact that measuring the true value of reward points by benchmarking them to Apay vouchers does not make any sense. Actual money saved on organic purchases is actually the real value of any rewards. For example- I'd actually value the Yes points to be around 20-22.5p than the 25p that appears on face value. Simply because I lose around 10-15% on that specific transaction when redeeming through their portal instead of MMT or via Atlas on airline website. Flight spends are an actual-organic spend for me, I'd use that anyway, even if I have to use UPI for it, and so YesRewardz, even with a 20p value are a very solid option.

But if you take Magnus Burgundy, or even the Atlas that I absolutely love, they push consumers for luxury redemptions, like 5 star hotels and business class seats, while these might be very nice and offer great value per point, these are high margin products and the bank-hospitality industry has now successfully reeled people into a product that would definitely not sell as much if people only bought them with cash. Then there are further upsells like Hotel/Airline membership programs and what not that incentivize people to spend more money with them in again high margin categories to further optimize their point value. I admit that these spends might feel organic to a lot of people, and if you are one of those, kudos to doing so well in life and to the big savings you are minting. However, that crowd is a very small subset of the total CC community, and simply suggesting people to go for things like MB or Amex because of that high % figure is tunnel vision at its finest. Not to mention, for young people like me and a lot more of us in this forum, keeping 30L with Axis, instead of investing it in actual growth instruments like MF's is a laughably bad proposition.

kowsikbabu

TF Select
VIP Lounge
I don't think anyone was contesting that. Me and the other commenter were merely pointing out the fact that measuring the true value of reward points by benchmarking them to Apay vouchers does not make any sense. Actual money saved on organic purchases is actually the real value of any rewards. For example- I'd actually value the Yes points to be around 20-22.5p than the 25p that appears on face value. Simply because I lose around 10-15% on that specific transaction when redeeming through their portal instead of MMT or via Atlas on airline website. Flight spends are an actual-organic spend for me, I'd use that anyway, even if I have to use UPI for it, and so YesRewardz, even with a 20p value are a very solid option.

But if you take Magnus Burgundy, or even the Atlas that I absolutely love, they push consumers for luxury redemptions, like 5 star hotels and business class seats, while these might be very nice and offer great value per point, these are high margin products and the bank-hospitality industry has now successfully reeled people into a product that would definitely not sell as much if people only bought them with cash. Then there are further upsells like Hotel/Airline membership programs and what not that incentivize people to spend more money with them in again high margin categories to further optimize their point value. I admit that these spends might feel organic to a lot of people, and if you are one of those, kudos to doing so well in life and to the big savings you are minting. However, that crowd is a very small subset of the total CC community, and simply suggesting people to go for things like MB or Amex because of that high % figure is tunnel vision at its finest. Not to mention, for young people like me and a lot more of us in this forum, keeping 30L with Axis, instead of investing it in actual growth instruments like MF's is a laughably bad proposition.
Very well said 👏

drsel

TF Legend
If you want a lifetime free card for all kinds of travel, then AU Lit with subscription of travel 5% cashback (353/qtr), target based 5% cash back (353/qtr) and online 2.5% (353/qtr) will give 8.97% real cashback on 10,000 spend every month, after deducting the charges.

After deducting the 5900 charges of Yes Reserv 5x, you will need to spend 590,000 on the 4 categories to get 8% return and 11,80,000 on the 4 categories to get 8.5% return.
But there are spend restrictions also.

Last edited:

Harry1

TF Legend
VIP Lounge
After checking with customer care and getting the Excel sheet for reward points breakup from them, I got a slightly different calculation. So, few corrections here.

For one of my transaction on Amazon on 30th January, I received Card bonus of 12/200 and 24/200 subscription bonus. But 12/200 base points are missing. Do note that these base points were showing in netbanking after settlement and still somehow it got missing in final Excel sheet. I have asked customer care to credit the same.

One more thing is for transactions which are reversed, but refund amount is slightly different. They only reverse base points and subscription bonus points. Card bonus points are retained.

With these two changes, I can say there is no subscription points for transaction done before subscription date. All transactions (except those which are reversed) from subscription date till 30th January (settled by 31st) are having subscription bonus points. It seems YES BANK settle transactions next day itself. Subscription points for All transactions of 31st January (settled in 1st Feb) will be credited in March statement.
One more update on missing points for Amazon transaction. Customer care said that I have crossed 36K limit. But my credited points were less than 36K including base points and card bonus points (one whole random transaction was missed, at least partial points till 36K is required to be posted). So, he again raised it to support team for the same.

But it does mean that they are calculating 36K on whole 24/200 and not just 12/200 bonus. So, spend limit is 3L only, unlike 6L. Also, when I asked for one more lakh after 3L spend, he said I won't get any points on that, as limit is 36K only.

Melungeon

TF Buzz
I realise that for most use cases this is not a great 3x subscription plan but I have to make two insurance premium payments of 5L yearly. If I'm right, each of those gets me 15000 regular points and 30000 bonus points. That's about 11k INR worth in total. I was using Amazon ICICI so far and that gives me 5k worth of APay balance. Isn't paying 4130 Rs for the 3x subscription worth it for me for this alone? Are there in general better cards to pay insurance premia with? Most seem to no longer reward that at all.
Bumping this as I am still looking for confirmation, please. My signing up for 3 subscription will depend on this calculation not being subject to some finely print exclusion.

RTR01

TF Premier
let me know once statement generated. I checked and can see only 12RP for online, since my statement not generated yet, so I think they're crediting base for now, and online bonus + 2x after statement generated.

And I saw some posts mentioning same like last 2 days of monthly transactions may not include in next month bonus calculation. Anyway, let us know once official statement delivered.
Hey, I got my first statement 2 days back for yes reserve with 5x. The points don't march the spend. Spend less than 1lakh but got 19500 points. Did I get 5x for last calendar month and 1x for this month spends?

Trio

TF Buzz
I have not gone through the whole thread, so a small doubt.Wanted to have a card for additional international lounge access for my kid (self n wife already have infinia as primary and add on).If i apply for "Yes bank Reserv" now,will i get the 6 access through priority pass as by the time i receive the card ,the quarter would have ended and won't fulfill the spend based criteria for lounge access for next quarter as we will be travelling in the month of May..Call certre executive told i will get it,but i have my dounbts. Any suggestions....

helloworld

TF Legend
Hey, I got my first statement 2 days back for yes reserve with 5x. The points don't march the spend. Spend less than 1lakh but got 19500 points. Did I get 5x for last calendar month and 1x for this month spends?

It should contain:

- regular reward rate for all transactions as per category.

(12+12 online, 12 offline, 6 Special)

- Feb 1-29, travel, dining etc. eligible transactions 5x.

Ideally this is the way, let me know.. and don't assume whatever category you think its travel, it may not be travel.

and consider settlement date sometimes, to match the reward points.

Last edited:

RTR01

TF Premier
It should contain:

- regular reward rate for all transactions as per category.

(12+12 online, 12 offline, 6 Special)

- Feb 1-29, travel, dining etc. eligible transactions 5x.

Ideally this is the way, let me know.. and don't assume whatever category you think its travel, it may not be travel.

and consider settlement date sometimes, to match the reward points.
I need mcc to calculate. I called CC 2 times even 1 didn't know what is mcc and said they cannot view mcc in their system. I will try again in next statement.

helloworld

TF Legend
I need mcc to calculate. I called CC 2 times even 1 didn't know what is mcc and said they cannot view mcc in their system. I will try again in next statement.

you don't need mcc.. put all those transactions in excel

divide/200 and round down (ex: 14.34 = 14.76 = 14.99 = 14)
--------

add 1x points as per the category

now, add remaining points for 4x categories one by one until it matches your statement points.

remaining transactions need dispute, you can send a mail (mail ids available in same statement) to enquire the same but they mostly will say "as per mcc, we provided like that"..

let us know 'hw many such transactions failed to get extra 4x rewards'.?