• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Why is opening an HDFC account online such a hassle?

rusty17

TF Buzz
Opening an HDFC Bank SavingsMax account online has been nothing short of a frustrating experience. Their website advertises a fully digital and paperless process without any branch visit, but I'm starting to think it's all just smoke and mirrors. I followed all the steps, did my Aadhaar e-KYC and filled all the forms but just as I finished the application there was no videoKYC and also no link for initiating one. Just an Application Completed pagea nd that representative will get in touch soon.

I waited for full two days and then decided to reach out to customer support, hoping they could help me. But their responses were as generic as a chatbot's, repeating the same tired lines and requesting the information that I already provided.

After 3 days of back-and-forth, they finally dropped the bombshell – I had to visit a branch for verification (which I won't be since I only get Sundays off). Wasn't this supposed to be a fully digital process?

I remember opening an Axis account a year ago, and it was a breeze compared to this HDFC ordeal. Their online process was smooth and seamless, and I was able to start using my account right away.

It's a shame that HDFC, such a reputed bank, has such a clunky and user-unfriendly online account opening process. They're really falling behind the times compared to their competitors.

rusty17

TF Buzz
UPDATE:

Sharing my experience for future reference. I finally got videokyc done and account activated. Took me 15 days for something that should have been 15 minutes. Persevering did get result though.

Initially I tried applying again through the website as recommended by another user. However at the end of the application process it says 'lead linked to this number already exist' or something. After some back and forth with customer care and some less than cordial words, I was contacted by the branch. They gave me a new link for account opening which started the process again but at the end, to my relief, was a videoKYC and my account was opened.

Here are some things I wish to say. The mobile app of HDFC is underwhelming. I don't like the UI. Everything was bare and unintuitive. Even Yono SBI has better design.

Their communication department needs a major overhaul. After the videoKYC was completed I recieved very little info by email or sms. I was worried I fell prey to a scamster. No SMS. Just one email saying my aadhaar number has been updated to my phone number. There was also no way to make the initial payment. Every time i recieved an email from them I had to double check the email id and address to ensure it was not a scamster because that's how shoddy their overall graphic and email language was. I got my account details after 2 days post videokyc only after which I was able to log in to net banking and do transactions.

I am so much more appreciative of Axis after all this. Their onboarding, mobile and web experiences are all so much better than whatever HDFC has now.

Last edited:

bigbyte

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Right after completing the application online for opening a savings max account I received my Account number and Customer ID and also a Video KYC link. I started the Video kyc process and at the end executive told that your video kyc is completed and you'll receive a link to make initial funding and also a link to provide feedback.

However, I didn't receive any link on sms/email or any communication saying that video kyc was successful. Instead I got multiple message for video kyc. I can login to HDFC app and it shows all the correct details, however kyc is shown as "pending" in profile section.

Shall I attempt video kyc again or just send initial funding to the account by NEFT?

vine

TF Premier
Its depends situation to situation

I opened saving max online face so such issue and hassle

However its true that if process fail at any moment while opening opening in HDFC bank

than war start
Strange as it may sound, Axis Bank has awesome online automated processes. (though customer service is absolutely horrible).
With HDFC and SBI it's hit or miss, if you miss, try again after an hour or two or after one day or two days , then things may work. If still don't work , you have to visit the branch. No other option.
You can ask the branch to send someone to your office or home to collect the documents etc. and they will help you in this way.

varun__goel_

TF Legend
Right after completing the application online for opening a savings max account I received my Account number and Customer ID and also a Video KYC link. I started the Video kyc process and at the end executive told that your video kyc is completed and you'll receive a link to make initial funding and also a link to provide feedback.

However, I didn't receive any link on sms/email or any communication saying that video kyc was successful. Instead I got multiple message for video kyc. I can login to HDFC app and it shows all the correct details, however kyc is shown as "pending" in profile section.

Shall I attempt video kyc again or just send initial funding to the account by NEFT?
Just check the vkyc link once, 99% it will show the kyc has been completed. Pending status will show up in app for few weeks even if it has been completed. I confirmed kyc status the same day from the branch and was done.

You can transfer the amount to your account. You won't be receiving any link for the same. It was a while back when they gave such link.

bigbyte

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Just check the vkyc link once, 99% it will show the kyc has been completed. Pending status will show up in app for few weeks even if it has been completed. I confirmed kyc status the same day from the branch and was done.

You can transfer the amount to your account. You won't be receiving any link for the same. It was a while back when they gave such link.
Thanks for answering my queries. I could transfer the funds successfully using NEFT.
One more thing, how do I know if my account is Savings Max variant?

bigbyte

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Use this link. It is for account upgrade, but will show your current account variant.
I tried this link, but the link doesn't seems to work. After entering Mobile number and Cutomer id/ DOB /PAN it waits and timeouts, doesn't sends otp for verification.

I also tried HDFC xpressway portal, that also throws up error.

Moreover, I was able to transfer money to my new HDFC account and create a FD from HDFC Account. However, I am unable to add any payee. It says your account need extra level of security and fill up a form and submit to branch and blah blah. No debit card has been issued, its been 2 days since account was opened.

varun__goel_

TF Legend
I tried this link, but the link doesn't seems to work. After entering Mobile number and Cutomer id/ DOB /PAN it waits and timeouts, doesn't sends otp for verification.

I also tried HDFC xpressway portal, that also throws up error.

Moreover, I was able to transfer money to my new HDFC account and create a FD from HDFC Account. However, I am unable to add any payee. It says your account need extra level of security and fill up a form and submit to branch and blah blah. No debit card has been issued, its been 2 days since account was opened.
You will have to wait for welcome kit. Then set debit card pin. After that only you will be able to enable TPT in your account.
Till then you can use upi.

You can check hdfc app also, there in account details it will show required average balance.

Reactions: SSV

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Thanks once again for answering all my noob queries very patiently.
I guess I'll wait for a week before breaking my head with HDFC customer care.
Thanks for answering my queries. I could transfer the funds successfully using NEFT.
One more thing, how do I know if my account is Savings Max variant?

I think I found a way..
Can you login to Net banking??