• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Why is opening an HDFC account online such a hassle?

rusty17

TF Buzz
Opening an HDFC Bank SavingsMax account online has been nothing short of a frustrating experience. Their website advertises a fully digital and paperless process without any branch visit, but I'm starting to think it's all just smoke and mirrors. I followed all the steps, did my Aadhaar e-KYC and filled all the forms but just as I finished the application there was no videoKYC and also no link for initiating one. Just an Application Completed pagea nd that representative will get in touch soon.

I waited for full two days and then decided to reach out to customer support, hoping they could help me. But their responses were as generic as a chatbot's, repeating the same tired lines and requesting the information that I already provided.

After 3 days of back-and-forth, they finally dropped the bombshell – I had to visit a branch for verification (which I won't be since I only get Sundays off). Wasn't this supposed to be a fully digital process?

I remember opening an Axis account a year ago, and it was a breeze compared to this HDFC ordeal. Their online process was smooth and seamless, and I was able to start using my account right away.

It's a shame that HDFC, such a reputed bank, has such a clunky and user-unfriendly online account opening process. They're really falling behind the times compared to their competitors.

varun__goel_

TF Legend
Opening an HDFC Bank SavingsMax account online has been nothing short of a frustrating experience. Their website advertises a fully digital and paperless process without any branch visit, but I'm starting to think it's all just smoke and mirrors. I followed all the steps, did my Aadhaar e-KYC and filled all the forms but just as I finished the application there was no videoKYC and also no link for initiating one. Just an Application Completed pagea nd that representative will get in touch soon.

I waited for full two days and then decided to reach out to customer support, hoping they could help me. But their responses were as generic as a chatbot's, repeating the same tired lines and requesting the information that I already provided.

After 3 days of back-and-forth, they finally dropped the bombshell – I had to visit a branch for verification (which I won't be since I only get Sundays off). Wasn't this supposed to be a fully digital process?

I remember opening an Axis account a year ago, and it was a breeze compared to this HDFC ordeal. Their online process was smooth and seamless, and I was able to start using my account right away.

It's a shame that HDFC, such a reputed bank, has such a clunky and user-unfriendly online account opening process. They're really falling behind the times compared to their competitors.
Never faced such issue brother
Have opened 3 accs in family and all of them had smooth experience, and all activated within an hour🤷
There might be something in your application which didn't let you do vkyc, or your browser

rusty17

TF Buzz
Never faced such issue brother
Have opened 3 accs in family and all of them had smooth experience, and all activated within an hour🤷
There might be something in your application which didn't let you do vkyc, or your browser
Hmm...

I have been asking the customer support to provide me a reason for non-availability of videoKYC so that I am aware of the issue. Might as well been talking to a wall.

I all along knew about HDFC and their buggy processes. So, instead of trying online, I went to their branch - closer to my house - to open SavingsMax - thru a ready kit. SB a/c is on expected lines. But, their software tinkering is really horrible n lousy. And, less said the better about their CC processing.

Overall, disappointed with HDFC.

RishiKiDev

TF Ace
I all along knew about HDFC and their buggy processes. So, instead of trying online, I went to their branch - closer to my house - to open SavingsMax - thru a ready kit. SB a/c is on expected lines. But, their software tinkering is really horrible n lousy. And, less said the better about their CC processing.

Overall, disappointed with HDFC.
Same experience with HDFC.

Better to go offline.
I opened all my family members accounts offline. It was easy back then.

Nowadays service quality is below par.
HDFC is not a technology friendly bank. Their online banking is the worst in India. Even the PSU Banks have better Internet Banking and Mobile Banking interface.

smz

TF Select
Just last month I opened HDFC 10K MAB account. Initially a few times the initial aadhar OTP verification was giving error on HDFC. Then after couple of days I tried and it went smoothly.

akshayhs

TF Ace
I opened a regular (10k MAB) savings account 2 1/2 years ago and the entire process took 5 mins since i had everything ready. I am not sure if something got flagged during your account opening process that might be forcing them to lead you to a branch to complete the process. In 99% of the cases, I have heard absolutely good experience

varun__goel_

TF Legend
I got an Application ID and a Lead Number.
Then maybe you had a existing relationship, or some pop up blocker/redirection issue, because acc no is generated instantly in hdfc.
My opinion:- If do not have existing relationship, try again ensuring you have no ad blockers or any other blocker enabled on chrome, location enabled on phone, and do via aadhar otp.
If it loads prev application then wait for few days to let it reset

rusty17

TF Buzz
Then maybe you had a existing relationship, or some pop up blocker/redirection issue, because acc no is generated instantly in hdfc.
My opinion:- If do not have existing relationship, try again ensuring you have no ad blockers or any other blocker enabled on chrome, location enabled on phone, and do via aadhar otp.
If it loads prev application then wait for few days to let it reset
I don't have any previous relationship with them. Had checked for Tata Neu card eligibility last month. Nothing else.

Will follow your instructions on Monday as videoKYC may not be available tomorrow.