• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Which Bank to open a checking account while in US ?

StanRoute66

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
For someone new to this Idea ; Yes , a non-resident can Open an account in USA , but you have to be present in person in US , to open it .

Bank of America requires $1500 MQB for checking account .
Charles Shwab requires $20k Initial Funding .
Anymore options ?

Aeldra is not a proper US Account. It is a mediatory account .
Is Zolve a proper US Checking account ? Let me know .

fatehbajwa

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
For someone new to this Idea ; Yes , a non-resident can Open an account in USA , but you have to be present in person in US , to open it .

Anymore options ?

Know of any other mediatory account like Aeldra?

TechnoFino

Founder
TF Family
Founder
Admin

Anymore options ?

Capital one 360 checking account, zero maintenance & zero balance ac

sumitkr85

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
It's best to open a Checking Account in Credit Union. They do not have charges or minimum balance. Also, they offer the lowest APR for Auto and Home loans.
1st check if your employer has any Credit union, else you can open in DCU

Credit unions are like Cooperative banks, whose main purpose is community service instead of profit

Don't open accounts in big banks like citi, BOFA, chase.

StanRoute66

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
It's best to open a Checking Account in Credit Union. They do not have charges or minimum balance. Also, they offer the lowest APR for Auto and Home loans.
1st check if your employer has any Credit union, else you can open in DCU

Credit unions are like Cooperative banks, whose main purpose is community service instead of profit

Don't open accounts in big banks like citi, BOFA, chase.
Why not in Big Banks ?

srichaitanya

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I wont be having SSN or ITIN . Just Tourist Visa and Friend's Address . BofA opens very easily for this "Non-Resident Alien" Category .
Capital One 360 requires atleast ITIN .
Which is the best checking account from BofA while traveling on b1/B2 tourist visa?

moneyMaker

TF Ace
Contributor
RML Group
You can DM me, I will refer the guys I used for ITIN and tell you my experience and procedure.

Under "Non-Resident Alien" Category, TransferWise is the easiest to get approved for.

TradFi banks need you to be present physically or have an authorized signer AND ITIN.

Schwab international require 25000$ deposit but if you can, you should - pretty great network and offering.

Last edited:

theglobalinvestor

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Is Schwab still opening bank accounts for Indians? I came over from TDA and when I asked they said only US residents can open bank accounts with them.

IBKR is a brokerage account not a bank account.