• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

What if I close a mobile number registered with CIBIL and the network provider issues that number to someone else? What could be the consequences?

amantyagi9

TF Buzz
There are 3 mobile numbers registered in my CIBIL report. I'm thinking of closing a mobile number. Is there any way to remove that number from CIBIL?

I'm worried because after 6 months, network providers can issue that number to someone else, and nowadays, banks/fintechs can fetch our credit reports with only a mobile number.

One more example is CRED. It fetches all cards with just a mobile number. I tried signing up with a different name also, but it still fetched all my cards with just my mobile number. It didn't ask for PAN details if the mobile number is already registered with the credit bureau.

So it's a serious problem. What are your thoughts on this?

Ad.Astra

TF Premier
There are 3 mobile numbers registered in my CIBIL report. I'm thinking of closing a mobile number. Is there any way to remove that number from CIBIL?

I'm worried because after 6 months, network providers can issue that number to someone else, and nowadays, banks/fintechs can fetch our credit reports with only a mobile number.

One more example is CRED. It fetches all cards with just a mobile number. I tried signing up with a different name also, but it still fetched all my cards with just my mobile number. It didn't ask for PAN details if the mobile number is already registered with the credit bureau.

I think the details you submit for availing credit/loan facility are mentioned in the final credit/loan agreement document, and subsequently mentioned in the Credit Report. There is no way to remove the number because it was mentioned in the credit/loan agreement document.

Regarding fintechs accessing account only with your mobile number, you may please inform the companies to remove account associated with that mobile number. Also dissociated the mobile number from its associated bank accounts and credit card accounts and then I think you should be all right.

When it comes to credit profile, it is tied to PAN card number. So even if someone avails loan with your recycled. mobile number , it will show up in that person's CIBIL report, not yours.

Karthik:

TF Premier

I think in the end it's PAN that matters. it's based on many to one relationship. i.e. if you have your numbers registered with only PAN, then you can get CIBIL score with any number that you have registered. If you have the same numbers registered with loan accounts with different PANs, then you might not get CIBIL score with just mobile number. You might have to enter PAN also.

AshishR

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I think in the end it's PAN that matters. it's based on many to one relationship. i.e. if you have your numbers registered with only PAN, then you can get CIBIL score with any number that you have registered. If you have your numbers registered with loan accounts with different PAN, then you might not get CIBIL score with just mobile number. You might have to enter PAN also.
hes right, pan number is all matters
i have 3 unknown mobile numbers in my cibil

vine

TF Premier
A bank or fintech is supposed to use only PAN to assess your creditworthiness or cibil score. Anything else is not a valid way.
No idea about Cred, but they may be using it because it's simpler, but it's not the correct way.