• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Unmasking Deceptive Advertising: AU Small Finance Banks' SwipeUp Program and Its Impact on Credit Reports

SmartSave

TF Premier
Background
AU Small Finance Bank has this program called SwipeUp Credit Card Upgrade Platform which they advertise here:

Here are some snippets of their advertisement on their landing page:
Mob-and-Web-Swipe-Banners-Standing.jpg
SwipeUp Platform
Promise Of An Assured Credit Card Upgrade

Over the years, your lifestyle has upgraded. Then why are you still using a Credit Card with the same old benefits?

Introducing SwipeUp, an innovative platform that offers an upgraded Credit Card to your existing Credit Card from other banks. You will get Higher Reward Points, Exciting Cashbacks, Increased Credit Limit, and many other benefits with our all-new Xcite series of Credit Cards - all at Zero Joining / Annual Fee.

So, stop settling for the same old benefits and upgrade your other bank’s Credit Card to match your upgraded lifestyle.
Higher Reward Points | Exclusive Cashbacks | Higher Credit Limit | Lifetime Free Card | Biodegradable Card | Value Added Features
SwipeUp For An Upgraded Credit Card

Upgrade in 3 simple and easy steps:

• 1. Enter the first 6 digits of your other Bank’s Credit Card
  • 2. Select the name of the Credit Card variant
  • 3. Compare your card with SwipeUp platform recommendation and apply

Misleading Promises and Unethical Practices

Isn't it tempting? They promise a lifetime free card, a higher credit limit, and a straightforward 3-step process. All you need to do is enter the first 6 digits of your other bank's credit card, and you'll have the chance to compare their offerings before deciding to apply.

Deceptive Reality
Well, guess what? It's not that simple. Despite the enticing ads that lead you to believe you can evaluate their options and then decide to apply, the reality is different. They process this as a full-on application, checking your CIBIL report along the way. This setup forces you down a path where it's hard to turn back due to their process design. You thought you were comparing, but they treat it like you're already in the application process, even though their ads don't mention this aspect.

What's even more frustrating is that nowhere on their SwipeUp page, including FAQs and Terms & Conditions (See attached PDF), do they mention that hitting your credit bureau is a requirement, or that they'll access it. I've scoured these sections multiple times, and there's zero mention of this crucial detail.

My Unintentional Journey
So, what did I do? Based on the info I saw on their landing page, FAQs, and terms, I thought I was still in the evaluation phase. I believed I could decide to apply only if I found something appealing. But to my shock, they went ahead and checked my CIBIL report without asking for my explicit consent.

Technical Glitch and Unmet Expectations
Furthermore, their website experiences a technical glitch that redirects the entire process into a standard application route, rather than the intended path of the SwipeUp program (or so they state). Throughout the process, I was never prompted to provide the first 6 digits of my other bank's credit card. Instead, the process continuously requested complex and unrelated information, eventually leading to a card selection page displaying cards with charges – a far cry from the advertised and promised offerings.

Support's Response
When I raised this concern with their support team, they advised me to ask for the removal of the application and try again from the same page. However, they informed me that they wouldn't be able to remove the CIBIL enquiry that was conducted without my consent or knowledge.

Deeper Concerns
Now, here's the issue: the hard enquiry itself isn't my main concern, as a single additional hard enquiry won't significantly impact my credit history. My real concern is how their misleading advertising is negatively affecting everyone's credit reports. On top of that, their technical glitch remains unresolved. Instead of addressing it properly, they casually suggest requesting application removal and retrying. And here's the kicker: retrying will result in another hit to the CIBIL report.

Taking a Stand
I believe it's crucial to address this situation, not just for myself but for the benefit of others as well. My aim is to encourage transparency, responsibility, and ethical practices. Despite my attempts to convey my concerns to their Level 1 support, I've received only generic responses. As my next step, I've already reached out to their CC head and PNO, providing them with a detailed account of what transpired and my requests.

Future Actions
If they acknowledge the issue, rectify the unauthorized credit enquiry, and address the problem, then I might not need to escalate this to the B.O. (Banking Ombudsman). However, if they persist in denying the problem, my next course of action will involve lodging a formal complaint with the B.O.

Understanding and Ethics

I fully understand and respect the process of applying for a credit card, with the understanding that a credit report enquiry is part of the approval process. In this case, the situation is different – it wasn't my intention to apply, but rather to compare and then make an informed decision as advertised. The way they processed my request feels unethical and unjust.

UPDATE: 13 Sep, 2023​

The Fight is ON. The PNO doesn't want to acknowledge the concerns and continues to deliberately ignore and shift the blame on to me but I'm not going to back off so easily. I've gone ahead and filed a formal complaint to RBI B.O. and while that case is going on, I want you to come forward and help me with this fight. It's not just about my credit report, it's about each one of us and how this bank is casually damaging the reports and continues to dupe prospective customers.

If you want to support the fight, you can please retweet, comment, and mention the bank handle on X (@aubankindia).
We need to take a stand together. We all be silent or let go, this bank and many like these will continue to damage our reports and practise unethical stuff. Who's losing at the end? It's us. Our credit report is getting damaged, not theirs. So they enjoy this privilege while we suffer.

Here's the Post/Tweet:

Update: 20 Sep, 2023​

The bank continues to neglect and the new discovery is made of them violating FPC guidelines by RBI.
You can read more about this in detailed thread here (Please RT/Like/Comment):

Attachments

• au-bank-swipeup-program_terms-and-conditions_oct_2022.pdf
    121.8 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Bravo. Good to see this and good to read the entire content.

Agree fully.

SWIPE UP is a big joke. Less said, the better

The AU Guys are using the SAME PROCESS, SAME TECHNIQUE, SAME UNSKILLED VERIFICATION GUYS, SAME THIRD-PARTY HANDS......

If everything is SAME, why have this Swipeup ?

They do not know how to respond to emails. They don’t even READ.

I am UNHAPPY with their approach. TREATING DECADES-OLD EXPERIENCED CARDHOLDERS LIKE AMATEURS OR FIRST-TIME CARDHOLDERS.

Strange n stupid, to say the least.

SmartSave

TF Premier
How can I be a part of this?

Depending on whether you're among those affected by this misleading advertising or if you're interested in supporting my cause, here's how you can join in:

Affected Individuals:
I'll provide a general overview from the perspective of those affected, which can be beneficial for others reading:

- Begin by gathering all available evidence, including screenshots and email communications. Ensure that all communication is conducted via email.

- Draft an email to the Level 1 support team. Explain how you were under the impression that you were assessing your options as presented on their landing page, only to find yourself inadvertently caught in a complete application process that you had not intended and thus, you did not give a consent to make a hard enquiry to your CIBIL report and hence, demand the removal of the CIBIL enquiry immediately and acknowledge the concern and confirm the removal. Email: creditcard.support@aubank.in

- It's likely that they will contest the removal of the CIBIL enquiry, placing the responsibility on you by stating it was done with your consent -- It's a canned response they use to shut the case and close the ticket.

- Compose a second email, reiterating your concerns and outlining the sequence of events to the head of credit card business. Request them to address and rectify the situation, making their advertising more transparent: head.creditcard@aubank.in

- Allow 7 days for their response.

- On the 8th day, if necessary, send a similar email to the Principal Nodal Officer (PNO): pno@aubank.in

- If they persist in denying responsibility or fail to resolve the issue within the 30-day period mandated by the RBI, it's time to escalate the matter to the Banking Ombudsman.

Spread awareness (Affected or not):
In the interim, help spread awareness on social media by sharing this thread and mentioning them. Also, include the RBI handle, particularly on platforms like Twitter/X. Share your thoughts on the unethical practices of this bank and how its deceptive advertising is impacting a substantial number of people – potentially thousands, if not millions – underscoring the gravity of the situation.

🙏 Please take a moment to like this thread, share your thoughts, and tag anyone you think might be affected or could provide assistance. The more individuals who join, the more beneficial it becomes for all involved. Your participation matters!

Mission: Our goal is to make them acknowledge this issue and prevent further individuals from falling victim to this deceptive advertising that misleads you into thinking you're making card comparisons when, in reality, they're initiating the application process itself, creating a trap.

If a significant number of individuals treat this matter seriously and engage, it will likely pressure them to confront the fundamental problem and potentially resolve it by revising their landing page to explicitly indicate that the process involves a credit bureau enquiry and that it leads to the initiation of an application, similar to any other and this isn't just comparing the cards as advertised and potentially eliminating the unauthorized CIBIL enquiries.

If they intend to provide a comparison service, there are alternative methods to consider. For instance, they could employ a soft enquiry, which wouldn't harm the customer's credit report during the evaluation phase. This approach is adopted by companies like OneScore and others, allowing them to offer their products and services based on this soft enquiry, it's a win-win experience for the customer and the provider. You like the offer, you apply or let it go.

Last edited:

JimCarrey

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
This is totally wrong, thanks for putting this up.

I am not sure if this deceptions is going to be the next industry trend. I had a similar experience with ICICI. On their NetBanking portal when I am logged in, they have an Apply link for cc, which takes you through the whole application process without even conveying which cc they have even probability to provide us with. They keep asking little things and makes you feel like they will show the cc options just in next step. But they hit cibil, does aadhaar authenticate take all details which includes salary via bank account import (not just an entry from my side).

And I am sure there was no approval given from my side for cibil hit, unless hidden in some link.

I already have 2 ICICI CCs, I just wanted to see what cc they might provide and I expected something similar to axis / hdfc or others where they give you options of ccs before putting you into the real application process.
Is this going to be the new Trend.

SmartSave

TF Premier
I am not sure if this deceptions is going to be the next industry trend.

Silence only allows it to thrive. Various unethical practices persist because when we recognize something is wrong but remain inactive due to whether it directly affects us or not, it grants these wrongdoings room to persist. In the end, it's individuals who suffer, not the corporations or institutions. To them, we're just another case easily brushed aside with a standard response, a closed ticket, and business as usual. We might typically move on because the prospect of pursuing the matter seems daunting, and we question whether it will even make a difference. However, this perspective is flawed.

Raising awareness and taking a stand hold significant power, especially in the digital age. Spreading the word and collectively making an impact is easier than ever before. If we all unite, our actions can create positive change.

This deceptive advertising must come to an end. Even if just one instance leads to consequences, it will make others reconsider their actions. This example could provide hope and encouragement for those who have been affected to take action.

I can't speak for others, but I am absolutely committed to pursuing this matter through legal channels as far as I can. This thread will eventually become visible on Google and other search engines, ensuring that people can read about the unethical practices of this bank. That alone can empower individuals to make an informed decision, even if further action isn't taken.

SmartSave

TF Premier
Bravo. Good to see this and good to read the entire content.

Agree fully.

SWIPE UP is a big joke. Less said, the better

The AU Guys are using the SAME PROCESS, SAME TECHNIQUE, SAME UNSKILLED VERIFICATION GUYS, SAME THIRD-PARTY HANDS......

If everything is SAME, why have this Swipeup ?

They do not know how to respond to emails. They don’t even READ.

I am UNHAPPY with their approach. TREATING DECADES-OLD EXPERIENCED CARDHOLDERS LIKE AMATEURS OR FIRST-TIME CARDHOLDERS.

Strange n stupid, to say the least.

Totally agree. SwipeUp is basically a trap. Behind the scene, it's the same thing.

One support team tells me to get the application deleted and retry while the other support team says they can't delete the application until 45 days. They themselves have no proper co-ordination among their teams and no clear instructions.

SmartSave

TF Premier
Update: The Assistant Manager Escalations reached out and requested to allow them 2 working days and said they've forwarded the concern to the respective department. Let's see.

So far PNO or Head of CC Business haven't responded but we're going to wait for 7 days to get over meanwhile see what this escalations manager has to say.

SmartSave

TF Premier
So a small update, looks like this bank has decided to completely ignore and go silent. I've tried to follow up with Level 1 to PNO, everyone has completely went silent. Escalations manager who had requested for 2 days time didn't revert either.

While this is definitely bad, however, it'll help my case to make it stronger when this goes with RBI.

Anyway, we're waiting for 30 days timeframe to finish before this gets escalated further. 7 days of resolution time period is already passed now with PNO/Head of CC ignoring.

Ticktock, Ticktock!

SmartSave

TF Premier
Update: Someone from the Escalations responded saying they've forwarded my concern to the respective department and will get back to me shortly. Let's wait and watch! In the meantime, please do share that Medium article and tag them. They need to be called out.

Please keep in mind, this is not for my personal benefit (as there is none anyway) but in general for all of us. Someone has to take a stand and fight on. You don't need to do anything but just share and tag them. They need to read and realize their wrongdoings.

SmartSave

TF Premier
Update: The Principle Nodal Officer (PNO) has deliberately avoided addressing the concerns raised, specifically regarding the misleading advertisement and technical glitches. Instead of acknowledging and taking steps to rectify these issues, they have countered by asserting that I provided consent through OTP. Despite our extensive email exchanges presenting the facts, they persist in overlooking the primary concerns and attempting to shift the blame onto me, claiming that consent was given.

Since it has become apparent that I am not receiving a satisfactory resolution from the PNO, I have decided to escalate the matter to the RBI Banking Ombudsman. I have officially filed a formal complaint with the Banking Ombudsman and am eager to see how this process unfolds.

Will update this thread again shortly! The fight is ON!

SmartSave

TF Premier
Hi SmartSave thanks for sharing and fighting with AU. All the best :)

Is there a tweet which we can re-tweet and comment up? I would love to support.

Hey bro, I appreciate your support.

I went ahead and posted a thread on Twitter/X. Please go ahead and retweet, comment and do mention the bank's handle.

Request everyone else to also do the needful. I'm doing the heavy lifting part and putting up this fight not just for myself but for everyone as already explained in the OP. We all let go while these banks continue to damage our reports and practise unethical stuff. Who's losing at the end? It's us.

Here's the Post/Tweet:

SmartSave

TF Premier
Be sure to save and screenshot the current SwipeUp pages as they can change them silently.

Already did and even sent a copy to them via email just for proof during one of the email exchanges.

I also went ahead and attached all these docs in my RBI B.O. complaint. It has all my email exchanges, Medium Article report, SwipeUp Program Terms PDF, SwipeUp Program Page's Full Screenshot in PDF.

mgforce

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Hey bro, I appreciate your support.

I went ahead and posted a thread on Twitter/X. Please go ahead and retweet, comment and do mention the bank's handle.

Request everyone else to also do the needful. I'm doing the heavy lifting part and putting up this fight not just for myself but for everyone as already explained in the OP. We all let go while these banks continue to damage our reports and practise unethical stuff. Who's losing at the end? It's us.

Here's the Post/Tweet:

Thanks, done my bit.

SmartSave

TF Premier
Guys, It's my humble request to participate by retweeting/like/comment on this Tweet:

Even a small effort can make a difference. You don't have to do a lot; I'll take the lead and manage the case. Minimal support will expedite the process. It's important for them to realize that numerous individuals are feeling let down, not just a few. Your support will help fix things once and for all.