• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Revamped Air India's flying returns

Ramakgmc

TF Buzz
Dear TF friends,
The AI flying returns revamp is done.
A few major changes!
1. Moving from miles-based points accrual to spend-based points.
2. Change of tier names - Maharaja Gold to Platinum, Basic to Red, and Silver/Gold remain.
3. Somewhat better redemption rates than earlier (Del to Tir was 13.5K, now 12K)
Most of the non-point benefits remain the same.
Mostly, it looks like the Vistara program than the FR of AI
It is always beneficial to have a spend-based program rather than a miles program. 1. It increases with increasing cost of the ticket proportionally. 2. Way more beneficial in domestic short-haul sectors. 3. redemption rates are also more matching.

A comparison of tier qualification AI Vs. Vistara
Air India
Silver - 15,000 points - 2,50,000 Rs per year
Gold - 30,000 points - 5,00,000 Rs per year
Platinum - 45,000 points - 7,50,000 Rs per year.
Vistara (point accrual varies as per which tier you are in)
Silver - 15,000 points - 1,36,364 - 1,87,500 Rs per year (base to Platinum)
Gold - 25,000 points - 2,27,273 - 3,12,500 Rs per year
Platinum - 35,000 points - 3,18,182 - 4,37,500 Rs per year.

Now the questions are:
1. How the merger with Vistara CV points would pan out?
2. How the miles accrued with Star Alliance partners would compare? most are based on miles traveled.
Opinion of frequent flyers/Vistara or AI cobranded card holders!!!

Last edited:

Ramakgmc

TF Buzz
A comparison of tier point accrual - AI Vs. Vistara
AI tier points accrued do not change with the current tier, unlike the Vistara program.
Air India
1712190949002.png
Vistara
1712191018959.png

Rags

TF Select
Vistara was better earlier. But now it seems both are equalized.
Vistara
Del - Chennai 7,500 CV points
Del - Mumbai 5,000 CV points

AI
Del - Chennai 5,000 FR points
Del - Mumbai 7,500 FR points
Seems too good to be true

sleepysurya

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
A
Del - Chennai 7,500 CV points
Del - Mumbai 5,000 CV points

AI
Del - Chennai 5,000 FR points
Del - Mumbai 7,500 FR points
I read somewhere that for DEL-BOM 5000 is only applicable when booking 3 months in advance. After that upto 1 week it's 7500. After 1 week, it's somewhere around 9000.

Zacobite

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Dear TF friends,
The AI flying returns revamp is done.
A few major changes!
1. Moving from miles-based points accrual to spend-based points.
2. Change of tier names - Maharaja Gold to Platinum, Basic to Red, and Silver/Gold remain.
3. Somewhat better redemption rates than earlier (Del to Tir was 13.5K, now 12K)
Most of the non-point benefits remain the same.
Mostly, it looks like the Vistara program than the FR of AI
It is always beneficial to have a spend-based program rather than a miles program. 1. It increases with increasing cost of the ticket proportionally. 2. Way more beneficial in domestic short-haul sectors. 3. redemption rates are also more matching.

A comparison of tier qualification AI Vs. Vistara
Air India
Silver - 15,000 points - 2,50,000 Rs per year
Gold - 30,000 points - 5,00,000 Rs per year
Platinum - 45,000 points - 7,50,000 Rs per year.
Vistara (point accrual varies as per which tier you are in)
Silver - 15,000 points - 1,36,364 - 1,87,500 Rs per year (base to Platinum)
Gold - 25,000 points - 2,27,273 - 3,12,500 Rs per year
Platinum - 35,000 points - 3,18,182 - 4,37,500 Rs per year.

Now the questions are:
1. How the merger with Vistara CV points would pan out?
2. How the miles accrued with Star Alliance partners would compare? most are based on miles traveled.
Opinion of frequent flyers/Vistara or AI cobranded card holders!!!
merger looks clean.. vistara will bcome AI and CV will become FR.. the differences will get moderated.. good move..

telescope

TF Ace
Vistara is still better IMO with their flat rate point requirement. Variable point rate of AI is not good. I wish vistara to not merge (won't happen though). On the other hand, AI have better network than vistara, so AI better that way.

gurbina

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I would have ditched Air India and kept Vistara from a consumer standpoint in terms of everything except Air India network. Even Air India loyalty program was hilariously bad, as bad as their business class.

Air India has vastly improved the airport and on board service, but the branding and service without the most important part, the planes (and everything that comes with them), leaves a lot to be desired. They brought ex Delta 777 planes but they're a horror house even tho they're supposed to be better, well the business class seats are definitely an improvement.

Taking the current Air India and trying to turn it around wouldn't have been my first or even my last choice, I don't know why Tata didn't just keep growing Vistara since it's doing very well and doesn't have to deal with all the baggage and problems that Air India comes with.

At least now Air India is shaping much better, seeing this economy award pricing gives me hope.

I guess it will take at least a year or longer away until we see the more mature established product they envisioned.

Zacobite

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
I would have ditched Air India and kept Vistara from a consumer standpoint in terms of everything except Air India network. Even Air India loyalty program was hilariously bad, as bad as their business class.

Air India has vastly improved the airport and on board service, but the branding and service without the most important part, the planes (and everything that comes with them), leaves a lot to be desired. They brought ex Delta 777 planes but they're a horror house even tho they're supposed to be better, well the business class seats are definitely an improvement.

Taking the current Air India and trying to turn it around wouldn't have been my first or even my last choice, I don't know why Tata didn't just keep growing Vistara since it's doing very well and doesn't have to deal with all the baggage and problems that Air India comes with.

At least now Air India is shaping much better, seeing this economy award pricing gives me hope.

I guess it will take at least a year or longer away until we see the more mature established product they envisioned.
true that.. air india regaining lost glory would be so good to see..

Ramakgmc

TF Buzz
For redemption, AI system may be better as seat availability is not limited as in Vistara.
Good value for your points would depend on how much price escalation happens due to dynamic pricing near the date of travel and will vary from sector to sector.