• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Axis Magnus Recent devaluation of Axis Magnus and Reserve. Further action for TF community?

rahulsethi

TF Ace
Contributor
Update with the revised official devaluation, this call for action makes no sense now 🙏 Axis has played fair this time crediting all pending ER by Aug 10 including those from July month, giving everyone a chance to transfer at 5:4 one last time. My suggestion, go all in for Accor.

Hello TF family,

We all are now aware of the recent devaluation of the Axis Magnus and Reserve cards. I am writing to you as a concerned Axis customer and member of the TF community, regarding what could be our next course of action. As we know the bank changed the transfer partner ratios significantly from 5:4 to 5:1, among other unfavorable alterations. I took the initiative to personally contact Axis priority customer care, and they confirmed that an official communication regarding these changes is scheduled for release on July 11.

While I understand that product features and terms are subject to change within the purview of the bank, I firmly believe that it is our right as customers to be adequately notified well in advance. In the case of Axis Magnus, for instance, the one-month notice provided is insufficient. According to the bank's process, points earned today are credited after a period of three months. Therefore, if I have made purchases today under the assumption that the earned points would be redeemable at a 5:4 transfer rate based on the existing contract, it is only reasonable and legally justified to expect a three-month advance notice for any policy changes, as the points are credited with a three-month delay. Failure to provide such notice constitutes a malpractice on Axis's part, and I am confident that Axis will be unable to justify this oversight if brought to the attention of the RBI Ombudsman.

Considering the above circumstances, I propose the following course of action to address this malpractice. First, it is essential to raise awareness about this issue within the TF community and other credit card forums. We should utilize platforms such as Twitter and other social media channels, tagging Axis and bringing attention to this matter. Secondly, once the official communication is received on July 11, I suggest writing an email to the customer care department, highlighting the procedural lapse and malpractice that has occurred. I anticipate that the response received will likely be a standard answer. Therefore, it is crucial to escalate the matter to the Principal Nodal Officer (PNO) of the bank and after one month, subsequently, if necessary, to the RBI Ombudsman. I firmly believe that either the Ombudsman will rule in our favor and ensure the transfer of our pending points at the rightful exchange rate, or the bank itself will be compelled to settle the matter. This negotiation process also presents an excellent opportunity to discuss the possibility of converting the Magnus card to a Lifetime Free (LTF) option.

In conclusion, I believe that united action and diligent pursuit of this matter will be instrumental in resolving the issues faced by customers affected by the devaluation of Axis Magnus and Reserve cards.

Rahul

Last edited:

Avid_snake

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I think there are some axis employees here in this forum, not all, who are speaking too much in favour of Axis. They are trying to discourage us against any escalation. This devaluation is clearly against business ethics and is an unfair trade practice.
If we start arguing CC Rewards are a right to a person and Axis should uphold the same, it will not be long till our Finance Minister will decide to tax CC reward points also.

Having said that, do escalate as much as possible, you may actually end up getting some solution. If you never ask, you never know

gurbina

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Now I'm really curious to find out how much money did Axis burn in the card business. Card consultants and content creators managed to destroy their CC business altogether. I hope this doesn't stop them from bringing good cards into the market in the future.
Nobody killed their business. Other businesses did it and even themselves.
We all know Axis has among the worst systems. Look at how dumb some of these loopholes are like replacing the card nets you welcome benefits again, it's beyond incompetent and lacking any QA.

Lots of transactions are incorrectly marked by merchants, many "tricks" or "loopholes" aren't supposed to be there from the RBI and bank perspective, but this is India. Even if they did, people will find a way to abuse it like finding shops to swipe their card for a percentage or find a merchant that somehow allows them to pay a small percentage or where the transactions are incorrectly marked.

It's up to the bank to off board, warn or claw back points from these customers abusing it.

But if they wanna throw the bath water with the baby and screw all their customers , it's their decision.

Happy to see the sales agents fighting this, rightly so since they are the ones selling their products and whose income depends on commissions.

navam

TF Premier
If we start arguing CC Rewards are a right to a person and Axis should uphold the same, it will not be long till our Finance Minister will decide to tax CC reward points also.
Lol 28% of points as TDS. You can claim some of it back while filing itr ... I would not be surprised haha. But you know if this was happening maybe the govt will complain about devaluation as well :p

vina

TF Premier
VIP Lounge

They devalued across the board

I wonder why Magnus wasn't announced today

Meanwhile on the terms and conditions section of travel edge, the points conversion ratio for Reserve card is still showing 5:4 without any caveat

Now I'm thinking whether they are still fine tuning the devaluation of Magnus

Even with the 5:4 going to 5:1, Magnus is the best card around except perhaps for travel. Infinia may give better travel returns but overall returns are limited to 15k points per month which value to 15k rupees a month at best and for most people the percentage return would still be less than Magnus

However it is possible to screw up Magnus in more ways. They can take away the milestone benefit or, more likely, make it practically unattainable by taking away every way of reaching the expense

Last edited:

vina

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Nobody killed their business. Other businesses did it and even themselves.
We all know Axis has among the worst systems. Look at how dumb some of these loopholes are like replacing the card nets you welcome benefits again, it's beyond incompetent and lacking any QA.

Lots of transactions are incorrectly marked by merchants, many "tricks" or "loopholes" aren't supposed to be there from the RBI and bank perspective, but this is India. Even if they did, people will find a way to abuse it like finding shops to swipe their card for a percentage or find a merchant that somehow allows them to pay a small percentage or where the transactions are incorrectly marked.

It's up to the bank to off board, warn or claw back points from these customers abusing it.

But if they wanna throw the bath water with the baby and screw all their customers , it's their decision.

Happy to see the sales agents fighting this, rightly so since they are the ones selling their products and whose income depends on commissions.
Sales agents can fight all they want, there is no practical way the 5:4 can continue

And if you look at the ban on utility payments - that is to target Bharatnxt and redgiraff types

They are not stupid and they have looked at data

vina

TF Premier
VIP Lounge

Having said that, do escalate as much as possible, you may actually end up getting some solution. If you never ask, you never know
Any cc points converted to cash (e.g. used to settle the card bill) is in fact taxable under present law

Vouchers etc. are considered discounts

vina

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Nobody is speaking in favor of Axis. They are stating the truth. I am one of them who feels Axis has done nothing wrong. This is their business and they can devalue any card at any time. This is their right. There is nothing unfair about it technically. We may feel bad because we lost our points but that doesn't make it unfair. People need to understand that cc rewards are benefits not rights. If people don't like Axis then they should cancel their Axis credit cards and move on.
Anyone who can spend over a lakh per month, doesn't travel a lot (may be several flights and two vacations a year), and cancels this card based the the 5:4 going to 5:1 at this point in favour of even Infinia is basically mathematically challenged

navam

TF Premier
Anyone who can spend over a lakh per month, doesn't travel a lot (may be several flights and two vacations a year), and cancels this card based the the 5:4 going to 5:1 at this point in favour of even Infinia is basically mathematically challenged
Yes! Thank you! Couldn't have said it any better myself.

sam609619

TF Select
VIP Lounge

They devalued across the board

I wonder why Magnus wasn't announced today

Meanwhile on the terms and conditions section of travel edge, the points conversion ratio for Reserve card is still showing 5:4 without any caveat

Now I'm thinking whether they are still fine tuning the devaluation of Magnus

Even with the 5:4 going to 5:1, Magnus is the best card around except perhaps for travel. Infinia may give better travel returns but overall returns are limited to 15k points per month which value to 15k rupees a month at best and for most people the percentage return would still be less than Magnus

However it is possible to screw up Magnus in more ways. They can take away the milestone benefit or, more likely, make it practically unattainable by taking away every wua of reaching the expense
On Reserve terms and condition page ifs showing 5:1 now from 12th august

Sharjeelshaikh

TF Premier
One other thing that'll happen: it wasn't straight forward getting the rewards value with Magnus earlier if you didn't want to convert points to airmiles

It will be a lot harder now with all the permutations
People actually earned more ER through gyftr rather than hitting milestone....what a googly by axis