• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

The Real Culprit Behind the Recent Devaluation of Travel-Focused Credit Cards

TechnoFino

Founder
TF Family
Founder
Admin
As we near the end of 2023, it's time to look back at the eventful year in the Indian credit card industry. We've witnessed significant shifts, such as Axis Magnus and Axis Reserve cards transforming from nearly useless to incredibly rewarding and then back to being relatively less rewarding. However, it's not all been positive, as several banks have imposed restrictions on various important categories, including utility bills, rent, government fees, and groceries, affecting their eligibility for earning rewards. What's behind these devaluations? Let's focus on travel-focused credit cards and explore why banks are making these changes.

When we apply for a credit card, we all agree to the Most Important Terms and Conditions (MITC) associated with that card. Unfortunately, many of us tend to overlook the fine print within these MITCs. One common stipulation found in the MITCs of all banks is that "personal credit cards should only be used for personal expenses."

This is where the notorious concept of "manufactured spending" (MS) comes into play. One common form of manufactured spending is purchasing items for someone else, who then reimburses you. For example, if you buy something for a friend using your credit card and they pay you back, it's considered a manufactured spend. So far, it may seem harmless, right? But what if I told you that there are websites and apps that encourage you to buy items for people living in different parts of the country, acting as intermediaries? Would you still think it's acceptable?
I won't mention any specific names, but some individuals have turned this method into a full-scale business, which directly goes against the bank's MITCs. Ankush Dixit, the Founder of Yaper, an app that serves as an intermediary for credit card users to buy products for others, shared on his LinkedIn profile that Yaper facilitated orders worth Rs. 12 crores on the first day of Flipkart's Big Billion Days Sale in 2022.
Screenshot 2023-10-21 at 1.04.03 AM.png
This practice is a primary reason for recent credit card devaluations. Due to the existence of such websites and apps, banks have begun withholding regular reward points when customers take advantage of sales discounts.

While you may be familiar with these practices, there are other groups or businesses that are exploiting personal credit cards. Nowadays, travel agents are using personal travel-focused credit cards to amass reward points and air miles. Let me illustrate this with a real-life example:

Take Ramesh, a travel agent based in Gujarat (using a pseudonym to protect his identity), for instance. He used his Axis Magnus credit card to book flight tickets via the Axis Travel Edge portal, earning 5X EDGE Points. Due to the high volume of transactions, he accumulated substantial air miles and hotel loyalty points within a short period. And that's not all; he sold his air miles and hotel points for a significant amount. As a result of such rampant misuse, Axis Bank and many other banks were forced to devalue their credit cards and, in some cases, reduce the value of reward points.

We've all noticed that Axis Bank has imposed certain restrictions on how frequently you can link or change frequent flyer or hotel loyalty programs within a specific timeframe. But do you know the actual reason behind this?
The reason is that people were selling their Axis EDGE reward points, and this goes against the terms and conditions set by the bank. Let me illustrate this with an example:
Imagine Suresh wants to purchase 50,000 ITC Green Points from Ramesh in exchange for cash. Ramesh simply needs to enter Suresh's ITC Account ID while transferring his EDGE Points to ITC Green Points through the TravelEDGE portal, and the points get credited to Suresh's ITC account.
Nowadays, people transfer their credit card reward points to their own Frequent Flyer Program (FFP) accounts and later sell the entire account by sharing login credentials. You can find numerous groups on Telegram engaged in such activities.

Screenshot_20231021_094632_Telegram.jpg
WhatsApp Image 2023-10-21 at 9.45.45 AM.jpeg Screenshot_20231021_094818_Telegram.jpg

Notably, travel agents and Airmiles Brokers are transferring large quantities of points daily, not just from Axis Bank but also from numerous other credit card issuers. Because of these practices, we've witnessed the termination of many Frequent Flyer Program and hotel loyalty program accounts.
Travel agents and airmiles brokers are a major reason for the recent devaluation of credit cards.
Marriott-Audit.png
air canada account deactivated.jpeg

But have you ever wondered how a few people manage to accumulate such massive quantities of air miles using their credit cards? Let me tell you about a few professionals and their practices.

Chartered Accountants (CAs) utilize their credit cards to pay taxes for their clients, even though there are only a handful of credit cards that offer reward points for government payments.
Many insurance agents use their personal credit cards to pay their clients' insurance premiums.
In many areas, cyber cafes use their credit cards to pay people's utility bills, and you can imagine how many rewards they can amass through this method.
Many business owners use their personal credit cards to cover office expenses such as electricity bills, rent, and various other business costs. There are a few apps available that can be used by business owners to pay their vendors, employees' salaries and GST via credit cards for a nominal fee.
I don't think banks can entirely prevent such practices, but they can certainly monitor their customers' usage and, after a certain limit, ask for clarification and take necessary action against customers who misuse their credit cards. A normal credit card user typically does not pay insurance premiums exceeding 30% to 40% of their declared annual income. Similarly, a regular household utility bill should not exceed Rs. 20,000 (normally). Banks can easily monitor these aspects if they wish to do so.

In conclusion, while credit card devaluation is a normal part of the industry, these practices by travel agents, and other brokers are accelerating the devaluation process. Instead of devaluing credit cards for everyone, banks should focus on preventing these practices.

Last edited:

pavan000

TF Premier
The broker system is everywhere. People place large order even when they don't need the product and sell them for a profit. There should be tighter restrictions on the user accounts and cards together.

Shubham Yadav

TF Legend
As technofino said

Instead of devaluing credit cards for everyone, banks should focus on preventing these practices.

Whats on actually in Bank mind

If there is a poison in branch of tree 🌳 instead of cutting that poisonous branch they are cutting directly root of tree.

In a popular hindi saying

Na rahega baans na bajegi basuri

But what they forget

No reward No card No customer.

rohitnsync

TF Select
"IF" my memory serves me right, you yourself have promoted Yaper in one (or few) of your videos (please correct me if I am wrong) I hope you won't give them any shoutout in the future.
As we near the end of 2023, it's time to look back at the eventful year in the Indian credit card industry. We've witnessed significant shifts, such as Axis Magnus and Axis Reserve cards transforming from nearly useless to incredibly rewarding and then back to being relatively less rewarding. However, it's not all been positive, as several banks have imposed restrictions on various important categories, including utility bills, rent, government fees, and groceries, affecting their eligibility for earning rewards. What's behind these devaluations? Let's focus on travel-focused credit cards and explore why banks are making these changes.

When we apply for a credit card, we all agree to the Most Important Terms and Conditions (MITC) associated with that card. Unfortunately, many of us tend to overlook the fine print within these MITCs. One common stipulation found in the MITCs of all banks is that "personal credit cards should only be used for personal expenses."

This is where the notorious concept of "manufactured spending" (MS) comes into play. One common form of manufactured spending is purchasing items for someone else, who then reimburses you. For example, if you buy something for a friend using your credit card and they pay you back, it's considered a manufactured spend. So far, it may seem harmless, right? But what if I told you that there are websites and apps that encourage you to buy items for people living in different parts of the country, acting as intermediaries? Would you still think it's acceptable?
I won't mention any specific names, but some individuals have turned this method into a full-scale business, which directly goes against the bank's MITCs. Ankush Dixit, the Founder of Yaper, an app that serves as an intermediary for credit card users to buy products for others, shared on his LinkedIn profile that Yaper facilitated orders worth Rs. 12 crores on the first day of Flipkart's Big Billion Days Sale in 2022.
Screenshot 2023-10-21 at 1.04.03 AM.png
This practice is a primary reason for recent credit card devaluations. Due to the existence of such websites and apps, banks have begun withholding regular reward points when customers take advantage of sales discounts.

While you may be familiar with these practices, there are other groups or businesses that are exploiting personal credit cards. Nowadays, travel agents are using personal travel-focused credit cards to amass reward points and air miles. Let me illustrate this with a real-life example:

Take Ramesh, a travel agent based in Gujarat (using a pseudonym to protect his identity), for instance. He used his Axis Magnus credit card to book flight tickets via the Axis Travel Edge portal, earning 5X EDGE Points. Due to the high volume of transactions, he accumulated substantial air miles and hotel loyalty points within a short period. And that's not all; he sold his air miles and hotel points for a significant amount. As a result of such rampant misuse, Axis Bank and many other banks were forced to devalue their credit cards and, in some cases, reduce the value of reward points.

We've all noticed that Axis Bank has imposed certain restrictions on how frequently you can link or change frequent flyer or hotel loyalty programs within a specific timeframe. But do you know the actual reason behind this?
The reason is that people were selling their Axis EDGE reward points, and this goes against the terms and conditions set by the bank. Let me illustrate this with an example:
Imagine Suresh wants to purchase 50,000 ITC Green Points from Ramesh in exchange for cash. Ramesh simply needs to enter Suresh's ITC Account ID while transferring his EDGE Points to ITC Green Points through the TravelEDGE portal, and the points get credited to Suresh's ITC account.
Nowadays, people transfer their credit card reward points to their own Frequent Flyer Program (FFP) accounts and later sell the entire account by sharing login credentials. You can find numerous groups on Telegram engaged in such activities.

Screenshot_20231021_094632_Telegram.jpg
WhatsApp Image 2023-10-21 at 9.45.45 AM.jpeg Screenshot_20231021_094818_Telegram.jpg

Notably, travel agents and Airmiles Brokers are transferring large quantities of points daily, not just from Axis Bank but also from numerous other credit card issuers. Because of these practices, we've witnessed the termination of many Frequent Flyer Program and hotel loyalty program accounts.
Travel agents and airmiles brokers are a major reason for the recent devaluation of credit cards.

In conclusion, while credit card devaluation is a normal part of the industry, these practices by travel agents, and other brokers are accelerating the devaluation process. Instead of devaluing credit cards for everyone, banks should focus on preventing these practices.

D7162

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Most of the people anyways misuse, in their own limits, some use it to broader level, some keep it up to personal level, no one is Saint - thats what you yourself said multiple times. You can not blame any travel agent or Yaper (I belong to none) but bank is at fault to keep their loopholes open, I remembered even after reversing Reserve block and replace points, that loophole was not patched and people were still getting joining points

Now, what I got to know recently

Here, Axis bank agents were taking some percentage and giving magnus with huge limit, One person told me he paid some amount to agent, and with HDFC card limit around 3 lakh, agent edited his statement and gave him magnus with 9 lakh + limit (and here we keep requesting bank to increase limit)

He also said, one person have 15 infinia card based on 15 lakh FDs and he has his own portals of Utility, grocery etc, he keep swiping everymonth upto full limit. Also he said there is card swiping industry going on where people with merchant account can swipe card with around 2% and give cash to card holder, Person swiping card will get 1-1.5% rewards so will get money with around 0.5% for his business and person who holds portal will pay 1.2% so he get 0.8%.
I asked, dont you fear IT notice, he said everything is sorted, even if notice receive, can explain transaction (I dont know how)

So what I understand is, people like me and other forum members here, even if use (or say misuse) of loopholes, thats real chindi in front of these business people, and its bank's responsibility to stop such activities but instead, bank enjoys this way like give some attractive offers/rewards, then get large customer base and then devalue card

Just to add, I remembered once I applied card for my brother from SBI agent who have stall at one mall, he was keep sending whatsapp like "we will give money by swiping your credit card" So mole is in bank itself

Lobogris

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
To prevent misuse, banks should offer reasonable rewards with a strict cap and some other provisions. For instance, maximum cashback can be capped at 500 per month for some categories and 1000 for others. In addition, the card user should have to spend a certain amount, like minimum 5 to 10k per month in general usage to be eligible for this cashback. For example, you want 1k per month cashback at 5% for online transactions, then spend at least 5k in that month at point of sale. Then people would have to use one or two cards as primary. Currently, I use SBI Cashback only for online and get 5% cashback and rarely use it at POS for 1%. Similarly, I use Airtel Axis only for Airtel payments and get 25% and for Big Basket and Swiggy to get 10% and nowhere else. So how can these banks make money? If I was forced to use only 1 or 2 cards then at least the banks would make money on other transactions.

sxchzy

TF Legend
VIP Lounge
We indirectly help the banks by reffering our friends for miniscule rewards and exploiting a loophole here or there which helps the bank reach the saturation point for that card and they end up devaluting those cards.
Poeple like sharan hedge,jay kapoor unfinance Shreya kapoor are the rise and death of availability of vistara award seats

Survivor35

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Criteria and threshold are kept as fair practice and it's OK to ensure to reap maximum benefit but cavaet point here is not to abuse to a point where it is stopped completely.

akshayhs

TF Ace
I will offer a simple solution. Banks should hire spy teams that will trap abusers and get their accounts and cards banned. Preventing abuse can be achieved in many ways, but often it also blocks genuine users from using the feature. So trap and ban system works more efficiently and helps keep the traffic flowing while preventing abuse.

I was a mod on CS 1.6 Servers and we use the trap and ban system to keep the servers free from hackers and exploiters. The system (trap and ban) worked wonders and I believe it will definitely work elsewhere too.

D7162

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
I will offer a simple solution. Banks should hire spy teams that will trap abusers and get their accounts and cards banned. Preventing abuse can be achieved in many ways, but often it also blocks genuine users from using the feature. So trap and ban system works more efficiently and helps keep the traffic flowing while preventing abuse.

I was a mod on CS 1.6 Servers and we use the trap and ban system to keep the servers free from hackers and exploiters. The system (trap and ban) worked wonders and I believe it will definitely work elsewhere too.
Banks think in different ways, they enjoy publicity and customer acquisition

And sometimes, we cant understand when even ICICI and RBL bank devalues their card when they are already at very low value to be exploited

TechnoFino

Founder
TF Family
Founder
Admin
"IF" my memory serves me right, you yourself have promoted Yaper in one (or few) of your videos (please correct me if I am wrong) I hope you won't give them any shoutout in the future.
True, I promoted Yaper one year ago, and I still believe that if people use it within limits, it may not become a significant issue. However, that's not the case. Also, if you've noticed, I haven't promoted a single brand in my YouTube videos since January 2023.

Survivor35

TF Ace
VIP Lounge

Caveat rule here is for every service there is a premium charged so customer is entitled to get those benefits.

Bank/financial institutions often don't inform additional services (those details are provided by technofino/desidime, there may be few more groups but I'm not aware).

Theres a thin line between using to optimum limit and abuse, when few folks go out of hand to promote via yt videos and other forums aren't realising that ain't it worth to kill golden goose for miniscule benefit