• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Real world experience of using Indian credit cards abroad

0b110

TF Select
VIP Lounge
I am planning a trip abroad and don't want a hassle of a forex card. Assuming I will spend close to 200k inr, and I have an Axis magnus cc (2% forex markup fee) should I just swipe my Magnus, choose the txn currency as local currency and go about the shopping?
How do banks (axis or others) calculate the bill for forex txns? Assuming Exchange rates as 60 inr per aud, my 10 aud txn would be approx how much inr in the cc bill??

ak93

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
I am planning a trip abroad and don't want a hassle of a forex card. Assuming I will spend close to 200k inr, and I have an Axis magnus cc (2% forex markup fee) should I just swipe my Magnus, choose the txn currency as local currency and go about the shopping?
How do banks (axis or others) calculate the bill for forex txns? Assuming Exchange rates as 60 inr per aud, my 10 aud txn would be approx how much inr in the cc bill??
I have used hdfc regalia card in UK. The conversion rate was always greater than the one you see in Google. Ex: if the rate was 60 INR per aud, I used to get rates of ₹60.5 to ₹61 per aud. So you would get charged around ₹610 + ₹13 markup fee. Don't remember if they added GST on the markup as well.

anirban.choudhury

TF Legend
TF Family
VIP Lounge
I have used hdfc regalia card in UK. The conversion rate was always greater than the one you see in Google. Ex: if the rate was 60 INR per aud, I used to get rates of ₹60.5 to ₹61 per aud. So you would get charged around ₹610 + ₹13 markup fee. Don't remember if they added GST on the markup as well.
Yes there is a gst of 18% on markup always .

anirban.choudhury

TF Legend
TF Family
VIP Lounge
On your 2 lakh spend on Magnus , you will pay close to 5k Rs extra . On the other hand you won’t get any accelerated ER , just the base ER. Better usage will be to try to book some fixed spends like hotel , airfare using MMT or axis edge , might be this are all already done , out of those 200k, if you are going to spend some on experiences then you can also pre-book the same on travel edge , to earn 5x ER. And for spends there , you can carry some cash ( use bookmyforex to get best rates ) , some in debit card like IndusInd exclusive with 0% forex markup charge, and rest in credit card with the least forex markup like Rbl world safari offering 0 forex , IndusInd legend 1.8% etc , if those cards are not there then you can go on with Magnus 2% .
As per me it’s always good to spend with 0% forex markup debit/credit card , and for street shopping , cash is the king in any country

0b110

TF Select
VIP Lounge
On your 2 lakh spend on Magnus , you will pay close to 5k Rs extra . On the other hand you won’t get any accelerated ER , just the base ER. Better usage will be to try to book some fixed spends like hotel , airfare using MMT or axis edge , might be this are all already done , out of those 200k, if you are going to spend some on experiences then you can also pre-book the same on travel edge , to earn 5x ER. And for spends there , you can carry some cash ( use bookmyforex to get best rates ) , some in debit card like IndusInd exclusive with 0% forex markup charge, and rest in credit card with the least forex markup like Rbl world safari offering 0 forex , IndusInd legend 1.8% etc , if those cards are not there then you can go on with Magnus 2% .
As per me it’s always good to spend with 0% forex markup debit/credit card , and for street shopping , cash is the king in any country
Thanks for the detailed reply.
I have already booked all I could anticipate. Only local shopping, day to day expenses remain.

I am only thinking about using the credit card for the milestone benefit magnus offers for reaching 100k spend per month. 5k Rs for 50k edge points seems like a reasonable deal.

anirban.choudhury

TF Legend
TF Family
VIP Lounge
Thanks for the detailed reply.
I have already booked all I could anticipate. Only local shopping, day to day expenses remain.

I am only thinking about using the credit card for the milestone benefit magnus offers for reaching 100k spend per month. 5k Rs for 50k edge points seems like a reasonable deal.
Is the trip spread across 2 months .
But how will you time the 1 lakh milestone for 2 months in this expenses ?
If you can manage then it’s a good deal , but don’t overspend for the milestone benefits .
That will be my suggestion

0b110

TF Select
VIP Lounge
Is the trip spread across 2 months .
But how will you time the 1 lakh milestone for 2 months in this expenses ?
If you can manage then it’s a good deal , but don’t overspend for the milestone benefits .
That will be my suggestion
Thanks for the concern man. I totally agree spending for the sake of spending is not a good idea.

Yes, the trip spans across 2 calendar months. However right now I am just understanding how things work so I can optimize the spends.

Niyo global card looks good as well no markup fee but yet another acct to open.

hariselio

TF Premier

Ok, here is the real experience 🤣

On 24th January, magnus card usage for 3.25 AUD on a local store in Sydney which resulted 186.52 INR + GST 0.67 INR + Foreign Currency Transaction Fee 3.73 INR.

0b110

TF Select
VIP Lounge
Ok, here is the real experience 🤣

On 24th January, magnus card usage for 3.25 AUD on a local store in Sydney which resulted 186.52 INR + GST 0.67 INR + Foreign Currency Transaction Fee 3.73 INR.
Thanks, these allay a lot of my fears.. did you use magnus as your primary mode of payment? If so, any final thoughts?

Dr. Drake

TF Ace
Let me suggest a very unpopular card I don't know if you have but if you hold magnus you can easily get it. ONECARD
1% forex markup. Just need to spend on 3 different categories & you will get 5x rewards on top 2 categories which compensates the 1% charge

So basically zero fee forex. I recently started shopping heavily on this for same reason

hariselio

TF Premier
Thanks, these allay a lot of my fears.. did you use magnus as your primary mode of payment? If so, any final thoughts?
I was there only for about three weeks and all my expenses were taken care by my Australian host. So personally i really did not had much expense over there. Overall expense around 25K INR were done on my magnus card.

And except in sydney airport duty free shop, i've not noticed/given option of paying in INR, all were in AUD.

isatyajeet

TF Select
VIP Lounge
I was wondering the same. I am planning a trip in coming months, which will be my first trip abroad. I have a Regalia, Legend and Magnus. I am not sure if I should get a Forex Card. I mean it make sense for people who don't have a premium card, who won't earn any rewards, like students, to get a separate prepaid Forex Card. If someone has Magnus, doesn't the rewards of the card outweighs the forex markup? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Shadow747

TF Buzz
If you can reach 1 lac on magnus then you should use magnus as milestone benefit is a good bonus. Recently used magnus in Aus trip and magnus visa card was used every where without any issue. As your trip will be over 2 month period you can even buy gift cards from shops to be used later if required to cross over the milestone criteria but don't over spend and keep within your trip budget.

0b110

TF Select
VIP Lounge
If you can reach 1 lac on magnus then you should use magnus as milestone benefit is a good bonus. Recently used magnus in Aus trip and magnus visa card was used every where without any issue. As your trip will be over 2 month period you can even buy gift cards from shops to be used later if required to cross over the milestone criteria but don't over spend and keep within your trip budget.
Thank you for confirming. Cheers!

Vikas09

TF Buzz
Just used Magnus card on aus trip last month , didn’t face any problem actually it even worked good in those places where hdfc infinia card rejected (apple showroom and various shops)
Do take one thing in mind recently axis devalues Magnus specially for foreign transactions (starting from march)which can effect your overall return.

gurbina

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
I was there only for about three weeks and all my expenses were taken care by my Australian host. So personally i really did not had much expense over there. Overall expense around 25K INR were done on my magnus card.

And except in sydney airport duty free shop, i've not noticed/given option of paying in INR, all were in AUD.
Even if you have the option to pay in INR you might still need to pay a fee if the merchant is registered overseas. It has happened to me on online commerce.

gurbina

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Just used Magnus card on aus trip last month , didn’t face any problem actually it even worked good in those places where hdfc infinia card rejected (apple showroom and various shops)
Do take one thing in mind recently axis devalues Magnus specially for foreign transactions (starting from march)which can effect your overall return.
What devaluation is this on foreign transactions?

Shadow747

TF Buzz
Axis is adding 1% extra charge to transactions happening in india in INR with foreign registered payment gateway. This no way affects transactions happening directly in foreign currency.