• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Unlocking Hidden Value: My Experience with BOB Eterna.

Vineet Kumar

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
As a seasoned credit card user, I've always been on the lookout for cards that offer more than just flashy perks. And boy, did Eterna surprise me!

Over the past year, I've casually been earning and redeeming reward points with Eterna without giving it much thought. But recently, spurred by curiosity, I decided to crunch some numbers. To my amazement, I discovered that I had redeemed a staggering 97,584 reward points accumulated over the preceding 12 months until March 2024.

What's even more jaw-dropping is the real cash value I reaped from these points – a whopping Rs. 24,396! And here's the kicker: most of these points were earned incidentally, including a generous 30,000 points from joining and annual spend milestone benefits.

Now, let me set the record straight: Eterna wasn't my go-to card for major expenses. In the last year that honor typically went to heavyweights like Amex Platinum, ICICI Emeralde, and HDFC Diners Club Black (of course - Infinia being a late entrant). However, when I reflected on utility and rewards combined, Eterna emerged as the unsung hero of my wallet.

But the perks didn't stop at cashback. Eterna also came bundled with a FitPass membership, which I fully utilized for 3-4 glorious months in New Delhi. Picture this: mornings at the gym, evenings by the swimming pool, and weekends sparring in boxing classes – all thanks to the unlimited access granted by my FitPass.

And the cherry on top? I acquired Eterna as a Lifetime Free Card (LTF)! Who would've thought that a card often dismissed as 'not an Ace' could deliver such value?

So here's to Eterna – the card that proved me wrong and exceeded my expectations.

Vineet Kumar

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I don't understand what is so great in BOB Eterna, when the highest return is only 3.75%, that too only in selected categories.

Magnus Burgundy even after devaluation gives a minimum of 4.8% and it can even go to 14% for spending over 1.5 lacs/month

Atlas gives 10% for direct hotels and direct flights, even after devaluation.

Infinia gives around 12.95% for buying Amazon pay on Smartbuy and 15.55% on flights on Smartbuy.

AU Lit give more than 9% on grocery and apparel, after deducting the subscription fee.

Yes Reserve 5x gives 9%/7.5% on 4 categories.
Yes Reserve 3x gives 6%/4.5% on most categories.

SBI cashback give 5% on most online spends.

There are many other cards mentioned which give much higher returns than Eterna, not only Magnus Burgundy
And there are still some cards with higher returns which I have not even mentioned

Latest review 4.75% max. return on 5 lac spend per year
While I acknowledge that there are credit cards offering better options for accruing reward points, it's important to note that there isn't a universally applicable policy for credit card spending.

My spending wasn't planned with the sole aim of maximizing Eterna reward points. Instead, it happened organically, driven by the realization that government transactions typically don't yield rewards.

Regarding your concerns about other reward-earning options, I understand and share your perspective.

I currently possess a significant number of reward points across various programs, including a substantial amount of Lacs of Amex MR Points, around 1.1L DCB Points and 1.37L Premier Miles (Citi Premier Miles). However, it's essential to recognize that each type of spending carries a different value proposition.

My use of the Eterna card wasn’t solely about accumulating reward points. It allowed the distinct advantage of providing real cash credits, which got credited directly in my statement. This differs from other cards where points are only valued for specific redemptions like hotel bookings or flights or purchase of vouchers. In essence, cash remains the ultimate incentive, an indisputable fact, and in the given category of my spend type, I found that there was no better alternative.

drsel

TF Legend
While I acknowledge that there are credit cards offering better options for accruing reward points, it's important to note that there isn't a universally applicable policy for credit card spending.

My spending wasn't planned with the sole aim of maximizing Eterna reward points. Instead, it happened organically, driven by the realization that government transactions typically don't yield rewards.

Regarding your concerns about other reward-earning options, I understand and share your perspective.

I currently possess a significant number of reward points across various programs, including a substantial amount of Lacs of Amex MR Points, around 1.1L DCB Points and 1.37L Premier Miles (Citi Premier Miles). However, it's essential to recognize that each type of spending carries a different value proposition.

My use of the Eterna card wasn’t solely about accumulating reward points. It allowed the distinct advantage of providing real cash credits, which got credited directly in my statement. This differs from other cards where points are only valued for specific redemptions like hotel bookings or flights or purchase of vouchers. In essence, cash remains the ultimate incentive, an indisputable fact, and in the given category of my spend type, I found that there was no better alternative.
Nice, but did you try SBI cashback card for 5% real cashback on most online spends, not just 4 categories?

Vineet Kumar

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Nice, but did you try SBI cashback card for 5% real cashback on most online spends, not just 4 categories?
Hey Buddy,

U r right on that. I have definitely used the SBI CB where it was suitable. Nothing beats that, but again, as discussed earlier that's user case specific.

Everything apart, given ur enthusiasm, I just checked ur profile and msg history. 20 posts on TF since morning? Hats Off man!

And u started ur day today at TF community with ur first post at 3:48 AM. Wow!

On a serious note. Take rest brother.

drsel

TF Legend
BOB Eterna + PZ means 4.75% for all categories (no exclusion).
SBI cashback is a good card and can be supplemental to other cards like Eterna which are easy to use (no exclusions) and quick predictable cashback (within 2 days).
Which other cards give high returns via payzapp ?
What is the MCC code of payzapp?

urboss

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
As a seasoned credit card user, I've always been on the lookout for cards that offer more than just flashy perks. And boy, did Eterna surprise me!

Over the past year, I've casually been earning and redeeming reward points with Eterna without giving it much thought. But recently, spurred by curiosity, I decided to crunch some numbers. To my amazement, I discovered that I had redeemed a staggering 97,584 reward points accumulated over the preceding 12 months until March 2024.

What's even more jaw-dropping is the real cash value I reaped from these points – a whopping Rs. 24,396! And here's the kicker: most of these points were earned incidentally, including a generous 30,000 points from joining and annual spend milestone benefits.

Now, let me set the record straight: Eterna wasn't my go-to card for major expenses. In the last year that honor typically went to heavyweights like Amex Platinum, ICICI Emeralde, and HDFC Diners Club Black (of course - Infinia being a late entrant). However, when I reflected on utility and rewards combined, Eterna emerged as the unsung hero of my wallet.

But the perks didn't stop at cashback. Eterna also came bundled with a FitPass membership, which I fully utilized for 3-4 glorious months in New Delhi. Picture this: mornings at the gym, evenings by the swimming pool, and weekends sparring in boxing classes – all thanks to the unlimited access granted by my FitPass.

And the cherry on top? I acquired Eterna as a Lifetime Free Card (LTF)! Who would've thought that a card often dismissed as 'not an Ace' could deliver such value?

So here's to Eterna – the card that proved me wrong and exceeded my expectations.
Despite being it LTF, did you still get welcome benefits (6-month FitPass Pro membership worth Rs. 15,000 and 10,000 bonus reward points.)??
I don't think so any other card gives welcome benefits if you are not paying the joining fees.

Also, did you apply online or via branch? How much time did it take for approval & dispatch?

Vineet Kumar

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Despite being it LTF, did you still get welcome benefits (6-month FitPass Pro membership worth Rs. 15,000 and 10,000 bonus reward points.)??
I don't think so any other card gives welcome benefits if you are not paying the joining fees.

Also, did you apply online or via branch? How much time did it take for approval & dispatch?
Yes, BOB Eterna gives the FitPass benefit, irrespective of the Fee Code, whether paid or LTF.

The 10000 bonus reward points are spend based, in the beginning of card usage, available to all fee codes.

I applied online. It took more than 2 weeks for the card to reach me.

helloworld

TF Legend
Which other cards give high returns via payzapp ?
What is the MCC code of payzapp?
Can someone confirm what is the MCC code of payzapp for wallet?
BOB Eterna + PZ means 4.75% for all categories (no exclusion).
SBI cashback is a good card and can be supplemental to other cards like Eterna which are easy to use (no exclusions) and quick predictable cashback (within 2 days).

its under wallet category (6540). payz is prepaid wherever credit card accepts, this works. and payz has tap&pay support, which works with NFC.

deleted use case of prepaid card here, to avoid unwanted attention.

Amex not supported, and Xs won't give any points for loading.

Ex: If primary use case is deleted categories here (ex:Insurance for assumption something not accepted through apay) even M4B, Atlas gives 0% (after 20th).

And SBI CB is 0%. And Infinia is 10k fee card with 10L spends for fee waiver whereas eterna 2500 fee card with 2.5L spends (<4 times), in that case M4B 35k card, not even comparable but anycase..

Its not always and all purchases about grocery, apparel (which apparently HSBC gives 10%, and Gyftr cards even more than than AU LIT if one shops on shopperstop etc.).

Its all about use case if that person (where OP explained like that),

not sure but general assumption (Since I don't have the card, correct me if wrong), for a person spending 6L per year, is M4B really providing benefits? especially when don't want to travel abroad (preferred only domestic). And how about Atlas when not travelling foreign and getting 25-30% on other websites for hotel bookings (isn't it upto 5% only which equals to SBI CB on online shopping but atlas only 4% max. with Vistara).

Eterna good alternative for offline grocery (local stores), excluded categories accept prepaid cards where SBI CB is 0% or 1%, Atlas 0% etc. (for general idea, fill with excluded categories in other cards).

Last edited:

drsel

TF Legend
its under wallet category (6540). payz is prepaid wherever credit card accepts, this works. and payz has tap&pay support, which works with NFC.

Ex: If primary use case is deleted categories (ex:Insurance for assumption and not accepted in apay, like that other categories) excluded categories etc. no even M4B, Atlas gives 0% (as per 20th).

And no SBI CB is 0%. And no Infinia is 10k fee card with 10L spends for fee waiver whereas eterna 2500 fee card with 2.5L spends (<4 times), in that case M4B 35k card, not even comparable but anycase..

Its not always and all purchases about grocery, apparel (which apparently HSBC gives 10%, and Gyftr cards even more than than AU LIT if one shops on shopperstop etc.).

not sure but general assumption (Since I don't have the card, correct me if wrong), for a person spending 6L per year, is M4B really providing benefits? especially when don't want to travel abroad (preferred only domestic). And how about Atlas when not travelling foreign and getting 25-30% on other websites for hotel bookings (isn't it upto 5% only which equals to SBI CB on online shopping but atlas only 4% max. with Vistara).

Eterna good alternative for offline grocery (local stores), excluded categories accept prepaid cards where SBI CB is 0% or 1%, Atlas 0% etc. (for general idea, fill with excluded categories in other cards).

Ex: If primary use case is deleted categories (ex:Insurance for assumption and not accepted in apay, like that other categories) excluded categories etc. no even M4B, Atlas gives 0% (as per 20th).

And no SBI CB is 0%. And no Infinia is 10k fee card with 10L spends for fee waiver whereas eterna 2500 fee card with 2.5L spends (<4 times), in that case M4B 35k card, not even comparable but anycase..

Very interesting, so you get 4.75% on all spends by simply loading Payzapp wallet using BOB Eterna cc

However, Payzapp is a wallet just like Amazon pay, and as you know Amazon pay you can get at 10% discount or more, even 12.6% with HDFC Infinia and DCB.

atx

TF Select
Very interesting, so you get 4.75% on all spends by simply loading Payzapp wallet using BOB Eterna cc

However, Payzapp is a wallet just like Amazon pay, and as you know Amazon pay you can get at 10% discount or more, even 12.6% with HDFC Infinia and DCB.
bro payzapp has one thing extra, a virtual card, which we can use mostly just like a regular card on any website. So although amazon gv can be procured at 2x-2.5x better discount, there is still a use case for payzapp, and a pretty big one imo.