• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

RBI Guidelines: Banks Should Allow Card Network Changes | Explained with Examples

TechnoFino

Founder
TF Family
Founder
Admin
On July 5, 2023, the RBI proposed a set of guidelines for card networks and banks, which has left many consumers confused.
The proposed guidelines are as follows:
  1. Card issuers shall not enter into any arrangement or agreement with card networks that restrain them from availing the services of other card networks.
  2. Card issuers shall issue cards across more than one card network.
  3. Card issuers shall provide an option to their eligible customers to choose any one among the multiple card networks. This option may be exercised by customers either at the time of issue or at any subsequent time.
The RBI has recommended that banks and card networks implement these guidelines during amendment or renewal processes and in new agreements executed from the date of this circular (5th July, 2023). The directions specified in paragraph 3(b) [2] and (c) [3] will take effect from October 1, 2023.

Now, many consumers are under the impression that, after implementation, all banks must offer their credit cards on all card networks. According to some individuals on Twitter, they have contacted Amex to convert their Amex Platinum charge card network from Amex to Rupay.
Let's break down the guidelines first.

A bank should allow customers to change their card network only if the bank officially offers the same card in another card network.
Let me provide an example here:
Suppose you have an HDFC Regalia Visa card, and you wish to switch the card network to Mastercard. Now, we know that HDFC Bank offers the Regalia card in Visa, Mastercard, and Rupay card networks, So they should approve your request and change your card network to Mastercard. However, if you request HDFC to change your card network from Visa to Amex, HDFC Bank is not obligated to approve your request since they do not offer the Regalia card on the Amex card network.

So, no, you cannot ask Amex India to change your card network from Amex to Rupay or any other card network. Your dream of holding an Amex Platinum Card on the Rupay network will not be fulfilled anytime soon.

NShah

TF Legend
Contributor
So as per new Rbi guidelines banks have to provide more than one card network to their cards ? Not by our choices if rupay network available on that card then you will get rupay network
@TechnoFino

simplewarrior

TF Premier
But it was draft circular right, it might not be effective yet from 1st October, since they did not release anything after that.

Harihhs

TF Buzz
This option may be exercised by customers either at the time of issue or at any subsequent time.
If we request to convert a LTF card to Rupay variant, will there be any charges ?

Also if possible please share the link to RBI Circular, I will share it with Bank CC to proceed with conversion.
Google leads to a older circular from 2015 🤦‍♂️

GopalV

TF Select
VIP Lounge
I got the Celesta card from Federal bank recently on visa network.I wanted the mastercard variant,they said the can't change the network once issued.I sent an email to the customer care,they said they can't change from visa to mastercard.

I got the Celesta card from Federal bank recently on visa network.I wanted the mastercard variant,they said the can't change the network once issued.I sent an email to the customer care,they said they can't change from visa to mastercard.
Mine signet, I asked for rupay variant
Tried via twitter also, until now no reply :(
Guys
Pls help me