• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Paytm launches new UPI IDs

#aniket

TF Ace
I think they are doing it in stages.

My earlier default UPI was changed to xxxxxxxxxx@ptyes today morning. I did not do anything. A pop up took my consent for this.
So why Phone Number@UPI handle as VPA, instead providing customisation to use letters 😐?

After an update, I tried changing, and it remained phonenumber@pthdfc/ptaxis/ptyes/ptsbi as default UPI address.

Earlier default VPA was XYZ@Paytm.

Zero customisation, this is how Paytm is concerned for customers to make them use Paytm to reveal Phone number to everyone, disgusting.

Try switching bro...as per your preferences. BHIM let us to customize VPA once, but it's ok atleast in comparison of forcing to use Phone Number only.

Dependency on Paytm made their team high.
Screenshot_20240424-101920.jpg
I see nothing wrong in having "mobile number@ptxxxxx". It is very helpful in receiving money. ALMOST ALL my friends n relatives know my number. It is so much easier for them to send money to me - they need not remember or ask me for my unique alpha UPI address (like an email address). Thanks to WA/Telegram, I hardly get any personal email from anyone of them.

Vasuki

TF Pioneer
Contributor
RML Group
VIP Lounge
I see nothing wrong in having "mobile number@ptxxxxx". It is very helpful in receiving money. ALMOST ALL my friends n relatives know my number. It is so much easier for them to send money to me - they need not remember or ask me for my unique alpha UPI address (like an email address). Thanks to WA/Telegram, I hardly get any personal email from anyone of them.
I got number@upi
Finally on Paytm else it was number+ 3 digit @upi

#aniket

TF Ace
@RAMESH BABU N I don't agree at all with your reasoning. There can be personal preferences but this is not a reason to support this weird move, in my opinion.

There's phone number which can be linked to any TPAP or Mobile Banking app for your concern which will act as UPI number, no need to have VPA/UPI ID with phone number. You can use this method by tapping on "To Mobile or Contact on Paytm's app".

Usually one who are in contact, we can pay them using this method. For that there's no specific requirement of phone number @ptxxxx and though it's quite easy to pay instead writing or copying phone number@ptxxx and one don't have to remember your alpha UPI ID, if you're already in his/her contact, he/she can pay using your UPI number. I think you have never paid or received in this way earlier.
IMG_20240424_191833_165.jpg IMG_20240424_191837_544.jpg IMG_20240424_195058_441.jpg

I were just talking about VPA/ UPI handle, which is a different matter. There's should be customisation, let the user decide what suits him/her instead forcing mandatorily
to reveal phone number to unknowns also for no reason. This is a privacy concern as well. One can shift because of this reason to another platforms and many have already did so, including me for UPI payments atleast.

Last edited:
@RAMESH BABU N I don't agree at all with your reasoning. There can be personal preferences but this is not a reason to support this weird move, in my opinion.

There's phone number which can be linked to any TPAP or Mobile Banking app for your concern no need to have VPA/UPI ID with phone number. You can use this method by tapping on "To Mobile or Contact on Paytm's app".

Usually one who are in contact, we can pay them using this method. For that there's no specific requirement of phone number @ptxxxx and though it's quite easy to pay instead writing or copying phone number@ptxxx and one don't have to remember your alpha UPI ID, if you're already in his/her contact. I think you have never paid or received in this way earlier.
IMG_20240424_191833_165.jpg IMG_20240424_191837_544.jpg

I were just talking about VPA/ UPI handle, which is a different matter. There's should be customisation, let the user decide what suits him/her instead forcing mandatorily
to reveal phone number to unknowns also for no reason. This is a privacy concern as well. One can shift because of this reason to another platforms and many have already did so, including me for UPI payments atleast.
Good to know that you are happy with opting out of PayTm.

Ultimately, it's one's choice. Thank God, there are dime a dozen options available in the market.

NTT

TF Buzz
Right. No one sees any problem in transacting with our known contacts with direct Phone numbers.

Custom payment handles are mostly needed for payments to unknown vendors/merchants/organisations for added sense of Privacy.

PS: I used "sense" of privacy as couple of months back I noticed that there was a way to see numbers even with payments made by "Custom" handles. That might be technical glitch/Bug as a possibility.

TheTrickySid

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Privacy is the main concern here.
You always have a option to set phone number as UPI ID where customisation of UPI ID is available.
But here you will be sharing your number with others unnecessarily.

Basic more con than convenience according to me.

#aniket

TF Ace
Right. No one sees any problem in transacting with our known contacts with direct Phone numbers.

Custom payment handles are mostly needed for payments to unknown vendors/merchants/organisations for added sense of Privacy.

PS: I used "sense" of privacy as couple of months back I noticed that there was a way to see numbers even with payments made by "Custom" handles. That might be technical glitch/Bug as a possibility.
Exactly, we can pay to known one using his/her phone number directly and vice versa, phone number is also linked to one of the payment provider, as UPI number. No need to use UPI ID.

IMG_20240424_195058_441.jpg

Then why to force to use or keep non customisable (earlier available), phone number @ptxxx as default UPI ID which will be visible on payments to everyone even unknown.

अपने पैरों पर कुल्हाड़ी मारना कोई पेटीएम से सीखे ।

Last edited:

NTT

TF Buzz
Exactly, we can pay to known one using his/her phone number directly and vice versa, phone number is also linked to one of the payment provider, as UPI number. No need to use UPI ID.

IMG_20240424_195058_441.jpg

Then why to force to use or keep non customisable (earlier available), phone number @ptxxx as default UPI ID which will be visible on payments to everyone even unknown.

अपने पैरों पर कुल्हाड़ी मारना कोई पेटीएम से सीखे ।
With time that option of customised handle would be back I feel. Sooner the better of course :)

nits123

TF Select
1000052013.png

I don't think YesPay next is the best UPI app.
They are under maintenance probably.
Paytm is still working fine for me with 100% uptime with same old @paytm UPI id. 😶‍🌫️ 🤣
You are opening the app without data connection i.e. without enabling mobile data or wifi...Please share complete screenshot, not sure why you truncated the screenshot which does not show the status of mobile data/wifi.

Strange

TF Legend
You are opening the app without data connection i.e. without enabling mobile data or wifi...Please share complete screenshot, not sure why you truncated the screenshot which does not show the status of mobile data/wifi.
There is no wifi or mobile data issue in my phone. Yes Pay Next was down at that time. Currently it's working fine.

gowthamv

TF Premier
Can someone help me with the feature.

When paying in some third party applications or websites, I usually give my Paytm UPI ID which is mobilenumber@paytm.
A payment request will be shown on Paytm app, and when I click on Pay, it will show the list of all my linked bank accounts and rupay credit cards. I can select the required account and pay.

But when I use my Phonepe UPI ID mobilenumber@ybl, I receive a payment request and I am able to pay only using my UPI Primary Account. I am not getting the option to select other bank accounts.

Is it possible to set a generic UPI ID on PhonePe instead of a Primary Account linked UPI id?

COSMOCRAT

TF Premier
Can someone help me with the feature.

When paying in some third party applications or websites, I usually give my Paytm UPI ID which is mobilenumber@paytm.
A payment request will be shown on Paytm app, and when I click on Pay, it will show the list of all my linked bank accounts and rupay credit cards. I can select the required account and pay.

But when I use my Phonepe UPI ID mobilenumber@ybl, I receive a payment request and I am able to pay only using my UPI Primary Account. I am not getting the option to select other bank accounts.

Is it possible to set a generic UPI ID on PhonePe instead of a Primary Account linked UPI id?
That's just how phonepe works. It has separate UPI IDs for each account, so it will default to one account that you may have marked primary.