• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

NPCI has asked the banks to provide higher limits to Rupay credit card customers

Shubham Yadav

TF Legend

Slayer

TF Legend
VIP Lounge
Unless and until NPCI establishes some way to detect MCC from UPI transactions, Rupay on UPI's adoption will be shallow. As CC on UPI transactions get least reward points with almost same or greater MDR.
I think if they implement MCC categorization om UPI this would just complicate NPCI backend even further
On a sidenote I've a colleague at work who has joined my org from NPCI (worked as a data scientist there)

kowsikbabu

TF Select
VIP Lounge
Unless and until NPCI establishes some way to detect MCC from UPI transactions, Rupay on UPI's adoption will be shallow. As CC on UPI transactions get least reward points with almost same or greater MDR.
I think it is already present, someone posted that when you pay in Shell using UPI, fuel credit cards like Axis IOCL and others earn accelerated reward points meant for fuel specific MCCs. I could be wrong tho, better to let the experts have the final word...

Abhishek012

TF Pioneer
I think it is already present, someone posted that when you pay in Shell using UPI, fuel credit cards like Axis IOCL and others earn accelerated reward points meant for fuel specific MCCs. I could be wrong tho, better to let the experts have the final word...
Ya expert is here :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: (Just kidding).

Sorry thora bahot idhar udhar ho gaya -

UPI Merchant Category Classification - (last update till October, 2023)​

TypeMCCDescription
UPI Merchant Category-wise Classification - Oct'23
High Transacting Categories5411Groceries and supermarkets
5812Eating places and restaurants
4814Telecommunication services, including local and long distance calls, credit card calls, calls through use of magnetic stripe reading telephones and faxes
5814Fast food restaurants
5311Department stores
5541Service stations (with or without ancillary services)
5816Digital Goods: Games
5912Drug stores and pharmacies
5462Bakeries
4900Utilities electric, gas, water and sanitary
Medium Transacting Categories5813Drinking places (alcoholic beverages) bars, taverns, night-clubs, cocktail lounges and discothques
5451Dairies
7299Miscellaneous personal services not elsewhere classified
7322Debt collection agencies
6012Financial institutions merchandise and services
6540Debit card to wallet credit (Wallet top up)
5137Mens, womens and childrens uniforms and commercial clothing
5441Candy, nut and confectionery shops
5732Electronics shops
5422Freezer and locker meat provisioners
All Other Categories5993Cigar shops and stands
7230Beauty and barber shops
5399Miscellaneous general merchandise
5722Household appliance shops
6211Securities brokers and dealers
5262Household appliance shops
9399Government services not elsewhere classified
4121Taxi-cabs and limousines
4214Motor freight carriers and trucking local and long distance, moving and storag
Others

Glossary​

• Category classification is made in terms of Approved UPI transaction Volume.
  • High Transacting Categories: Top 10 MCCs
  • Medium Transacting Categories: Next 10 MCCs
  • All Other Categories: Next 9 MCCs along with all other MCCs clubbed under 'Others'
  • MCC Description is with reference to ISO 18245:2003 standard
@shrewdoc
@Slayer
@Akash_Aryan

Akash_Aryan

TF Select
Yes there is some backend implementation because PNB Rupay Credit Card charges Fuel Surcharge even on UPI transaction at Fuel station. And one of the fuel station name was XXXX Service Station. No mention of fuel station in name, then also Fuel Surcharge was charged

shrewdoc

TF Ace

TypeMCCDescription
4814Telecommunication services, including local and long distance calls, credit card calls, calls through use of magnetic stripe reading telephones and faxes
5311Department stores
5462Bakeries
Medium Transacting Categories5813Drinking places (alcoholic beverages) bars, taverns, night-clubs, cocktail lounges and discothques
5451Dairies
5732Electronics shops
4214Motor freight carriers and trucking local and long distance, moving and storag
Others

Glossary​

• All Other Categories: Next 9 MCCs along with all other MCCs clubbed under 'Others'
@shrewdoc
@Slayer
@Akash_Aryan
Yes there is some backend implementation because PNB Rupay Credit Card charges Fuel Surcharge even on UPI transaction at Fuel station. And one of the fuel station name was XXXX Service Station. No mention of fuel station in name, then also Fuel Surcharge was charged

Thank you for this, was not aware this was already implemented.

But I still think this has to be implemented by banks as till now (30 Nov), ICICI was not giving appropriate RPs on UPI payments (I know ICICI & RPs ☠️ - just for knowledge here).

But today (1 Dec) ICICI has announced Rupay CC on UPI integration, so things maybe different from now on. Only time will tell. Currently using HDFC Virtual UPI card.

Abhishek012

TF Pioneer

TypeMCCDescription
5311Department stores
5462Bakeries
5451Dairies
5732Electronics shops
Others

Glossary​

@shrewdoc
@Slayer
@Akash_Aryan
By the way apart from this.

Many other MCC codes assigned for UPI,

MCC codes for P2P, P2PM, P2M, UPI IPO, insurance, Credit Card bill payment etc.

For example -

MCC 7407 - assigned for P2PM UPI transaction (RuPay CC link UPI is not eligible on this categories merchant)
MCC 5960, 6300, 6529 - Insurance payment through UPI

Pack_of_Cards

TF Premier
as I said in other threads also, most petrol pump uses wallet linked machine and hence even fuel specific cards fail to provide rewards (well many times). Shell is very standard and particular about their business and hence no phnpe, ptm machines and hence the accelerated rewards, its like citi bank of petrol pumps in terms of service :p.
Only down side is cost of fuel is high.

Akash_Aryan

TF Select
as I said in other threads also, most petrol pump uses wallet linked machine and hence even fuel specific cards fail to provide rewards (well many times). Shell is very standard and particular about their business and hence no phnpe, ptm machines and hence the accelerated rewards, its like citi bank of petrol pumps in terms of service :p.
But I am talking about payment of Rs 1000 using UPI through PNB Rupay Credit card. I was charged Fuel Surcharge + GST. And no refund of Surcharge also.

SamPtnk

TF Ace
Accept to hota nahi kahape
Or fail hua to paisa wapas milta nahi
Uske upar chindi rewards

Limit ka kya kare ?

They should have made till 5K MDR free and hosted some workshop to all the merchants regarding this

Chai sutta me hi biggest scope tha is program ka

Pack_of_Cards

TF Premier
But I am talking about payment of Rs 1000 using UPI through PNB Rupay Credit card. I was charged Fuel Surcharge + GST. And no refund of Surcharge also.
PSU hai time lagta hai, they will do waiver in next or maybe next to next statement, but being PSU they are more cautious they will definitely do it, have hope

Slayer

TF Legend
VIP Lounge
Thanks to Cred I get 1L of petrol free each month tho 🙏