• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Govt plans Rs 5,016 crore incentive to promote RuPay Debit Card, BHIM-UPI

Abhishek012

TF Pioneer
Exclusive: Govt plans Rs 5,016 crore incentive to promote RuPay Debit Card, BHIM-UPI:

Digital payment growth India, Rupay debit cards, UPI: The Ministry plans to infuse Rs 5,016 crore during fiscal year 2023–24—up from Rs 2,600 crore in 2022–23—to compensate for the discontinued “merchant discount rate” (MDR) that was to be collected as a transaction charge by the merchant and paid to his acquirer bank.

Digital payment growth India, Rupay debit cards, UPI:
Worried by the mixed results in digital payment ecosystem growth, the Finance Ministry plans to extend the incentives on low-value transactions through RuPay Debit Cards and BHIM-UPI for the third year while nearly doubling the budgetary outlay to attract more players.

The Ministry plans to infuse Rs 5,016 crore during fiscal year 2023–24—up from Rs 2,600 crore in 2022–23—to compensate for the discontinued “merchant discount rate” (MDR) that was to be collected as a transaction charge by the merchant and paid to his acquirer bank

Under the scheme, for low-volume transactions that use RuPay cards at point-of-sale or in e-commerce, the merchant’s acquirer bank will get 0.4 per cent—capped at Rs 100—as an incentive.

In the case of industry programmes that involve the use of RuPay cards in insurance, mutual funds, government, education, railways, agriculture, fuel, jewellery, hospitals, telecom, utility payments, and business or personal services, the incentive will be 0.15 per cent of the transaction, capped at Rs 6.

Similarly, for person-to-merchant (P2M) payments that use BHIM-UPI for transactions up to Rs 2,000, the acquirer bank will get 0.25 per cent of the transaction amount as an incentive. For industry programmes, the incentive would be 0.15 per cent of the transaction.

The scheme was introduced in fiscal 2021–22 with an outlay of Rs 1,450 crore to offset the lost MDR, which the acquirer bank subsequently shared with the card-issuing bank (the issuer bank) and the network operator. In the case of BHIM-UPI, the acquirer bank shared the MDR with issuer banks as well as the payer’s payment service providers, third-party app providers, and other system participants.

Digital payment transactions in India have been expanding, but the results have been mixed, with UPI growing massively in both volume and value terms—up 82 per cent and 105 per cent, respectively—in fiscal 2022–23 over the previous year. However, RuPay witnessed a sharp decline of 13.7 per cent in volume terms, even though it ticked up 4.2 per cent in value terms during the same period.

The mixed results have spurred the Ministry to tweak the scheme on the RuPay debit card as well as to add UPI Lite, UPI LiteX, and UPI Conversational Payments—Hello UPI in the app and UPI 123Pay on the BHIM-UPI platform—with the stipulation that at least 5 per cent of BHIM-UPI P2M transactions be on UPI Lite and UPI LiteX during the last quarter of the scheme.

UPI Lite offers a wallet in the BHIM-UPI app for an amount of up to Rs 2,000 on a smartphone, eliminating the need for the user to first obtain electronic authorisation from his bank while making the payment. UPI LiteX enables users to make transactions even in areas with no internet connectivity, such as remote locations, etc.

As per sources, the scheme has been approved by the Expenditure Finance Committee, and it now awaits the Cabinet's approval before the disbursement can start via quarterly mode. It must be noted that this time it is being executed by the Department of Financial Services (DFS) as “Promotion of Digital Payments” was transferred from the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) to DFS in July 2023, they said.

CardCraftsman.

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Shark Tank Omg GIF
Celebrate Happy Hour GIF by Denyse®

Yugi

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Ask them to invest a little money in turning "Rupay credit card payments ON by default" for all merchants.
It will only be fixed when MDR is on par with VISA and MasterCard. There are some charges when using credit card through UPI which makes it costly for merchants. Also, big merchants negotiate favourable MDR given the huge volume of transaction they do. So, I guess these kind of partnerships should be there for RUPAY too.

Abhishek012

TF Pioneer
Ask them to invest a little money in turning "Rupay credit card payments ON by default" for all merchants.
Before splurging this kind of money they should go and fix MDR issue for Rupay CC on UPI so that merchants accept them even after promotions and freebies are over.
It will only be fixed when MDR is on par with VISA and MasterCard. There are some charges when using credit card through UPI which makes it costly for merchants. Also, big merchants negotiate favourable MDR given the huge volume of transaction they do. So, I guess these kind of partnerships should be there for RUPAY too.
There is no issue on MDR. MDR is same for all credit card networks including Credit on UPI.

NPCI currently disabled credit on UPI payment on debit UPI network.

credit on UPI network is new and it will take few years time to give level 3 certification from NPCI.

How much time ?

for an example - one of my friend work on freecharge, He told me freecharge got certification for UPI integration on payment gateway after 2 years. NPCI always reject freecharge's application. NPCI always found some loopholes and tell go and apply again.

NPCI needs to tieup with all payment companies for credit on UPI and then NPCI allow to accept credit on UPI payment with limited users/merchants.

After few years, maybe 2-3 years. NPCI give full scale roll out certification to all merchant payment companies and banks.

Reliance, Croma like big offline and online merchants need direct level 3 certification from NPCI.

Yugi

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
There is no issue on MDR. MDR is same for all credit card networks including Credit on UPI.

NPCI currently disabled credit on UPI payment on debit UPI network.

credit on UPI network is new and it will take few years time to give level 3 certification from NPCI.

How much time ?

for an example - one of my friend work on freecharge, He told me freecharge got certification for UPI integration on payment gateway after 2 years. NPCI always reject freecharge's application. NPCI always found some loopholes and tell go and apply again.

NPCI needs to tieup with all payment companies for credit on UPI and then NPCI allow to accept credit on UPI payment with limited users/merchants.

After few years, maybe 2-3 years. NPCI give full scale roll out certification to all merchant payment companies and banks.

Reliance, Croma like big offline and online merchants need direct level 3 certification from NPCI.
As RuPay on UPI faces some roadblocks, NPCI explores corrective options - The Hindu BusinessLine

Adding to your reasons, MDR is also one of the reasons, read this article to get the in depth view how MDR is causing the issue. I agree, given 2-3 years with right strategy they can fix these issues.

Abhishek012

TF Pioneer
As RuPay on UPI faces some roadblocks, NPCI explores corrective options - The Hindu BusinessLine

Adding to your reasons, MDR is also one of the reasons, read this article to get the in depth view how MDR is causing the issue. I agree, given 2-3 years with right strategy they can fix these issues.
Grocery, Electronic categories MDR is 1.25% or 1.3% only.

Other merchant categories MDR is high 1.5% to 1.75% or upto 2.23% if GPay merchant QR.

MDR charges is decided by payment gateway companies and banks.

But ya MDR is still high for small merchants but this is wrong statement "It will only be fixed when MDR is on par with VISA and MasterCard."

MDR charges is same for all credit card networks and Credit on UPI network.

For example - if phonepe/bharatpe charge 1.25% or 1.3% MDR then Visa/mastercard also charge 1.25% or 1.3% MDR on same merchant categories like Grocery and Electronic.

If GPay merchant account charge 2.23% MDR for CC on UPI then GPay merchant gateway also charge 2.23% MDR for Visa/mastercard payment on same merchant categories.

Yugi

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Grocery, Electronic categories MDR is 1.25% or 1.3% only.

Other merchant categories MDR is high 1.5% to 1.75% or upto 2.23% if GPay merchant QR.

MDR charges is decided by payment gateway companies and banks.

But ya MDR is still high for small merchants but this is wrong statement "It will only be fixed when MDR is on par with VISA and MasterCard."

MDR charges is same for all credit card networks and Credit on UPI network.

For example - if phonepe/bharatpe charge 1.25% or 1.3% MDR then Visa/mastercard also charge 1.25% or 1.3% MDR on same merchant categories like Grocery and Electronic.

If GPay merchant account charge 2.23% MDR for CC on UPI then GPay merchant gateway also charge 2.23% MDR for Visa/mastercard payment on same merchant categories.
I think you understood my statement wrong, read what I have written after fixing MDR, I am talking about UPI, it is the culprit, there is no difference in MDR if it goes through POS or Online Gateways, the problem is when you use Rupay Credit Card on UPI there are extra charges and no merchant discounts.

Read Article: Rupay credit card payments through UPI hits the MDR speedbreaker (moneycontrol.com) they have clear explanation of what I have said. MDR on RUPAY CC UPI is an issue.

Abhishek012

TF Pioneer
I think you understood my statement wrong, read what I have written after fixing MDR, I am talking about UPI, it is the culprit, there is no difference in MDR if it goes through POS or Online Gateways, the problem is when you use Rupay Credit Card on UPI there are extra charges and no merchant discounts.

Read Article: Rupay credit card payments through UPI hits the MDR speedbreaker (moneycontrol.com) they have clear explanation of what I have said. MDR on RUPAY CC UPI is an issue.
No, There is wrong information in the article. No extra charges when you use Rupay Credit Card on UPI.

You can also check with any UPI merchant companies pricing -

For example here phonepe charges -

F8J9HH7awAAIEYU.png

Yugi

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
No, There is wrong information in the article. No extra charges when you use Rupay Credit Card on UPI.

You can also check with any UPI merchant companies pricing -

For example here phonepe charges -

F8J9HH7awAAIEYU.png
Okay, didn't expect this from Moneycontrol, thank you for the information :)

Abhishek012

TF Pioneer
Then can't understand one thing why marchants are disabling rupay cc acceptance. And why companies allowing disable option for rupay cc and lastly why govt and npci is not involving in this?

@Yugi @Abhishek012
RuPay Credit Card accept almost everywhere, wherever visa/mastercard credit cards accepted.

No merchants have an option to disabled RuPay credit card. They have option to disable all visa/master/RuPay credit cards but no option for RuPay CC.

And i know what you are trying to ask, you are asking about RuPay CC on UPI. Ask the right question first and only then will you get the right answer. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

By the way this govt incentives for RuPay debit cards.

RuPay Credit Card accept almost everywhere, wherever visa/mastercard credit cards accepted.

No merchants have an option to disabled RuPay credit card. They have option to disable all visa/master/RuPay credit cards but no option for RuPay CC.

And i know what you are trying to ask, you are asking about RuPay CC on UPI. Ask the right question first and only then will you get the right answer. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I know a man in TF community who gives right answer to wrong question 😍

cardy

TF Ace

You got it exactly what I meant 🤣