• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

[Not available for all, as of now] Google Wallet is Live in India Now

#aniket

TF Ace
Depends on your phone. For older Samsung flagships (S9 and Note 10s), they had MST and NFC Technology. Effectively Samsung Pay would work on ALL machines, even older ones as MST is nearly same tech as mimicking cards stripe.

Other point maybe- Samsung Pay and Google Wallet support different card providers, so one may be in Google's list and not in Samsung's list.

Looking forward to it.
I don't know why Samsung has dropped MST integration. 🥲

Such a good technology it was, may be because of NFC.

anonymuos

TF Ace
Came preinstalled with my Samsung Galaxy M34. Been there since June 2023 at least. Currently it's just a glorified UI for GPay's tokenized cards.

The "Wallet" term may be misleading here by Google. It's not like Paytm Wallet, Phone Wallet or Amazon Pay wallet. It doesn't have ability to load money. As of now it's a completely useless app with just a fancy UI for viewing your tokenized cards, transport pass, loyalty points etc. Nothing that GPay India doesn't already do and definitely less capable than GPay or almost feels like a page inside GPay dealing with stored Visa/Mastercard cards.

In fact, even the backend is the same. When I add a card to GPay, it opens Google Wallet on my phone to let me re-order and rename the cards.

GoogleWallet3.gif

GoogleWallet1.gif

GoogleWallet2.gif

GoogleWallet4.gif

GoogleWallet5.gif

GoogleWallet6.gif

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Came preinstalled with my Samsung Galaxy M34. Been there since June 2023 at least. Currently it's just a glorified UI for GPay's tokenized cards.

The "Wallet" term may be misleading here by Google. It's not like Paytm Wallet, Phone Wallet or Amazon Pay wallet. It doesn't have ability to load money. As of now it's a completely useless app with just a fancy UI for viewing your tokenized cards, transport pass, loyalty points etc. Nothing that GPay India doesn't already do and definitely less capable than GPay or almost feels like a page inside GPay dealing with stored Visa/Mastercard cards.

In fact, even the backend is the same. When I add a card to GPay, it opens Google Wallet on my phone to let me re-order and rename the cards.

GoogleWallet3.gif

GoogleWallet1.gif

GoogleWallet2.gif

GoogleWallet4.gif

GoogleWallet5.gif

GoogleWallet6.gif
Very sad to hear this… without loading money how can it be termed as a wallet…
May be it is just the American way of wallet.. ie no money in the wallet.., always living on the debt

Last edited:

the_dark_knight

TF Ace
Contributor
I was very sad when i heard they removed it. Because i used to use my samsung pay at locations where only swipe would work. I believe after using most tap to pay apps in india samsung wallet is the king.
For me cred always works flawlessly for tap n pay txns, also getting monthly 25 CB for 2 txns ( earlier used to be 50cb). ALso like the UI there.
Surprisingly, google pay tap/pay gets stuck for me and doesn't get through always.

anonymuos

TF Ace
if it provides support for debit cards too, and also mastercard/diners and amex network, then its worth using
GPay already supports debit cards on Visa and Mastercard (but no luck for Diners or Amex):
1713821386963.png
These are supported for NFC/tap to pay and BharatQR scan and pay. Paytm, CRED and Samsung Wallet also support tap to pay but far less banks and networks supported than GPay India. (Although Samsung Wallet supports StanC for tap-to-pay?)

Also, BharatQR scan and pay is unique to GPay (and certain bank apps like SBICard, ICICI iMobile, Kotak app, IndusMobile, old PayZapp, IDFC FIRST bank app, and FedMobile. Axis, BOB Card, HDFC and RBL mobile apps can't pay via BharatQR which is ironic since HDFC's old PayZapp before they ruined it supported it and the 3 banks - HDFC, Axis and RBL were early proponents of BharatQR when it launched in 2017 before UPI QR became ubiquitous.

Last edited:

the_dark_knight

TF Ace
Contributor
GPay already supports debit cards on Visa and Mastercard (but no luck for Diners or Amex):
1713821386963.png
These are supported for NFC/tap to pay and BharatQR scan and pay.
very good, so all debit and credit cards of major banks with both visa and mastercard network seems to be working.
I guess amex network is not supported on any platform and won't be supported anytime soon either. They themselves are encouraging to use it only online for buying vouchers

anonymuos

TF Ace
Just download the apk and install. It works, but Galaxy Watch is much more convenient for tap and pay.
Tapping the card is easiest but you've to make sure you have that particular card with you. If there are ongoing offers running on other cards or MCC-specific rewards, Galaxy Watch for tap to pay is one of the good ways too besides phone. No need to even take the phone out of the pocket when your hands are full with shopping bags. Just long press back button, enter PIN or pattern and hold it near NFC reader. No need to carry specific cards as you can pick one to pay with.

Plus it's fun to shock/pleasantly delight/impress the shopkeepers who're fascinated that a watch can pay. 🤣

#aniket

TF Ace
Very sad to hear this… without loading money how can it be terms a wallet…
May be it just the American way of wallet.. ie no money wallet.., always living on the debt
Bro, wallet can have different meaning.

It's virtual wallet in place of physical purse/wallet, where cards/pass/ other documents and details can be stored virtually and can be used when required.

Samsung Wallet also works in the same way, but it has UPI integration as well.

Because there's no two parallel app right now, Samsung Pay was renamed as Samsung Samsung Wallet.

Whereas in India, Google Pay has majority of shares in UPI after Phonepe, that's why Google can't risk to integrate every thing on one app, may become cluttered and uneasy to use to existing non techy users.

anonymuos

TF Ace
Post tokenisation or saving a card, is it possible to see full card details on google wallet?
No. Card details are never stored with Google but with Visa/MC so seeing card details in any tap-to-pay app not possible. The only apps which can show card details are bank apps or official apps whose cobranded card it is.