• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Kotak 811 Account Saga: Help Needed!

Hey,

So, I'm really sorry for this super long post, but big thanks for actually reading it all.

About three years back, I went ahead and opened up this Kotak 811 account. But, whoopsie daisy, I didn't finish up all that KYC stuff, and guess what? Within a year, bam, they closed down my account. Back then, you couldn't do a thing about a closed 811 account. Sucks, right? But now, Kotak's rolled out this new deal where you can bring back your account to life even if it croaked due to KYC issues. So I thought, why not, let's give it a shot and get my account back in action.

Everything was cool as I went through the steps, smooth sailing, until I hit the last hurdle. I had to agree to some terms and conditions. No biggie, I hit 'Next'. But then, the system decides to tease me for a whole minute and finally smacks me with an error message: "Oops, can't do your thing online. Head to a Kotak branch, please." Well, I thought maybe it's just a glitch, so I hit retry, but nope, same stupid error. So, I was like, fine, let's dial up Kotak's customer support, got a reference number, and they're like, "Hold tight, we'll fix it." Yeah right, they didn't, and my wait kept stretching longer.

At this point, I was like, "Alright, I'll deal with this in person." Off I go to a nearby Kotak branch, and I chat up this lady at the info desk. She looks up my CRN or whatever, and she's all, "Nope, no account here." She tells me to chat up a guy at the 811 desk on the upper floor. Great. But guess what? Mr. 811 was on a break or something, and the others there were pretty useless. They acted like I'm invisible. Somehow, after some hustling, I get hold of his number, so I call, it goes through, and the guy on the other end asks me to pass the phone to Mr. ABC there. So I'm like, who's Mr. ABC? But no one cares to tell me. Out of nowhere, some dude there asks if it's about KYC. I'm like, yeah, and boom, he tells me to hang up and then asks if I can maintain 10,000 bucks in there. He promises to fix the KYC thing. But I'm only interested in getting my 811 account back, nothing else.

This dude then sends me to yet another person, and now they're all curious about my life – my job, my favorite pizza, my college days, you name it. After some poking around on their system with my CRN, he's like, "Dude, you need a fresh account." I'm like, "Nah, can't do that, I can't keep any balance, I just want that zero balance account, I already have other bank accounts to deal with." He's like, "Hey, how about you toss in 2 lakh INR and then keep zero balance?" I'm like, yeah, sounds kinda cool. But whoa, hold up! The dude's selecting the "Ace" variant, and man, that just raised my suspicion. So I'm like, "Wait a sec, show me where that whole 'no need to keep an average balance' deal is mentioned. After wasting a good 5 minutes browsing, he finally pulls up the "Ace" variant page and zooms through it. He points at something like "Ace" in the "League" whatever. I'm like, I want to see the zero balance part. I finally spot the details about the Minimum Average Balance – turns out, it's gotta be 50,000 INR. Nope, not gonna deal with that headache.

Then he pitches this "Everyday Variant" savings account at me. He says I gotta make 30 transactions to keep it zero balance. But that's not flying with me either. I make up some story about not having cheque book and tell them I'll be back in 30 minutes. So, I do some snooping around, and it dawns on me that keeping track of those 30 transactions on top of my regular stuff would be a total mess. And then I find out the "Privy" thing needs a 50K balance at all times. So, the whole deal just doesn't make sense.

Even after I tell this guy I'm not interested, he keeps calling me for two days straight about opening the account. I'm just ignoring those calls. And guess what happened today? I click on that 811 account link, and it's like, "Hey, you're already a customer." I check their app, useless as ever. So, I hit up another branch, they check my CRN, and yup, they confirm I got this "Everyday Savings" account. They send me back to the branch where this all started. But you know what? I never actually said "yes" to any of this, and I'm scratching my head wondering how they pulled it off.

Finally get to the guy who kickstarted this whole thing, and he's telling me my application got trashed 'cause I didn't give them a cheque. But I smell something fishy, you know what I mean? Feels like he's trying to pull a fast one, and that account might just be alive and kicking. Now I'm doubting everything. This "Everyday Savings" thing wants me to keep 20,000 INR just hanging around, and I'm stressed about surprise charges. I'm stuck here, clueless about what to do. If any of you out there have been through this craziness or have some advice, I'd seriously love to hear it. Thanks a bunch in advance!

Last edited:
Looks like you haven't checked out the post yet. So, here's what happened when I tried to open a Kotak 811 account. I headed to their account opening page, filled in all the info, did the Aadhar-based eKYC thing, checked the 'I agree' box for the terms, the whole shebang. But guess what? Right at the end, An error popped up saying they couldn't process my request. The exact words were, "We are unable to process your request. Please visit a Kotak branch to get your account".

Shubham Yadav

TF Legend
Looks like you haven't checked out the post yet. So, here's what happened when I tried to open a Kotak 811 account. I headed to their account opening page, filled in all the info, did the Aadhar-based eKYC thing, checked the 'I agree' box for the terms, the whole shebang. But guess what? Right at the end, An error popped up saying they couldn't process my request. The exact words were, "We are unable to process your request. Please visit a Kotak branch to get your account".
If you are facing too much issue and branch is also not helping then i would suggest raise this matter to RBI ombudsman with proper details after that things would go very smoothly.

0xfallup

TF Ace
Hey,

So, I'm really sorry for this super long post, but big thanks for actually reading it all.

About three years back, I went ahead and opened up this Kotak 811 account. But, whoopsie daisy, I didn't finish up all that KYC stuff, and guess what? Within a year, bam, they closed down my account. Back then, you couldn't do a thing about a closed 811 account. Sucks, right? But now, Kotak's rolled out this new deal where you can bring back your account to life even if it croaked due to KYC issues. So I thought, why not, let's give it a shot and get my account back in action.

Everything was cool as I went through the steps, smooth sailing, until I hit the last hurdle. I had to agree to some terms and conditions. No biggie, I hit 'Next'. But then, the system decides to tease me for a whole minute and finally smacks me with an error message: "Oops, can't do your thing online. Head to a Kotak branch, please." Well, I thought maybe it's just a glitch, so I hit retry, but nope, same stupid error. So, I was like, fine, let's dial up Kotak's customer support, got a reference number, and they're like, "Hold tight, we'll fix it." Yeah right, they didn't, and my wait kept stretching longer.

At this point, I was like, "Alright, I'll deal with this in person." Off I go to a nearby Kotak branch, and I chat up this lady at the info desk. She looks up my CRN or whatever, and she's all, "Nope, no account here." She tells me to chat up a guy at the 811 desk on the upper floor. Great. But guess what? Mr. 811 was on a break or something, and the others there were pretty useless. They acted like I'm invisible. Somehow, after some hustling, I get hold of his number, so I call, it goes through, and the guy on the other end asks me to pass the phone to Mr. ABC there. So I'm like, who's Mr. ABC? But no one cares to tell me. Out of nowhere, some dude there asks if it's about KYC. I'm like, yeah, and boom, he tells me to hang up and then asks if I can maintain 10,000 bucks in there. He promises to fix the KYC thing. But I'm only interested in getting my 811 account back, nothing else.

This dude then sends me to yet another person, and now they're all curious about my life – my job, my favorite pizza, my college days, you name it. After some poking around on their system with my CRN, he's like, "Dude, you need a fresh account." I'm like, "Nah, can't do that, I can't keep any balance, I just want that zero balance account, I already have other bank accounts to deal with." He's like, "Hey, how about you toss in 2 lakh INR and then keep zero balance?" I'm like, yeah, sounds kinda cool. But I'm not sold, so I'm like, show me the fine print for this account type. After wasting a good 5 minutes browsing, he finally pulls up the "Ace" variant page and zooms through it. He points at something like "Ace" in the "League" whatever. I'm like, I want to see the zero balance part. I finally spot the details about the Minimum Average Balance – turns out, it's gotta be 50,000 INR. Nope, not gonna deal with that headache.

Then he pitches this "Everyday Variant" savings account at me. He says I gotta make 30 transactions to keep it zero balance. But that's not flying with me either. I make up some story about not having cheque book and tell them I'll be back in 30 minutes. So, I do some snooping around, and it dawns on me that keeping track of those 30 transactions on top of my regular stuff would be a total mess. And then I find out the "Privy" thing needs a 50K balance at all times. So, the whole deal just doesn't make sense.

Even after I tell this guy I'm not interested, he keeps calling me for two days straight about opening the account. I'm just ignoring those calls. And guess what happened today? I click on that 811 account link, and it's like, "Hey, you're already a customer." I check their app, useless as ever. So, I hit up another branch, they check my CRN, and yup, they confirm I got this "Everyday Savings" account. They send me back to the branch where this all started. But you know what? I never actually said "yes" to any of this, and I'm scratching my head wondering how they pulled it off.

Finally get to the guy who kickstarted this whole thing, and he's telling me my application got trashed 'cause I didn't give them a cheque. But I smell something fishy, you know what I mean? Feels like he's trying to pull a fast one, and that account might just be alive and kicking. Now I'm doubting everything. This "Everyday Savings" thing wants me to keep 20,000 INR just hanging around, and I'm stressed about surprise charges. I'm stuck here, clueless about what to do. If any of you out there have been through this craziness or have some advice, I'd seriously love to hear it. Thanks a bunch in advance!
mail everything to pno with a threat going to ombudsman and close the thing !

varun__goel_

TF Legend
So why you did it, you must have asked for what purpose does he need biometrics🤦. Ok just close the account if you don't want it. It will be closed for free if done within 1 month

If it is not possibly easy to re-activate an old a/c, why worry ?

Open a new a/c. In the same bank or any other - there are over a dozen now opening a/CS online.

Unless you are a shareholder or an ex employee (like me - xPNB and XSBI), why have such a deep sentiment or attachment ?

So why you did it, you must have asked for what purpose does he need biometrics🤦. Ok just close the account if you don't want it. It will be closed for free if done within 1 month
Like I mentioned earlier, I was all in for this zero Mab account with an initial funding of 2 lakhs. They were like, "No worries about keeping a balance," which later turned out to be part of the fancy Privy League thing by Kotak. So, he goes ahead and does this fingerprint authentication to kickstart the application. But guess what got me intrigued? He's picking the base version called "Ace," and that got me a bit suspicious.

So, I'm like, "Hold up, show me where that 'you don't need to keep an average balance' thing is." And bam, there it is, a condition to have at least 50K on average. Talk about a total U-turn from what they first said! So I'm like, "Dude, isn't this the opposite of what you told me?" And he's all chill like, "Nah, no biggie." But honestly, I know I can't juggle that, and I'm not vibing with it anymore.

Then, out of nowhere, he drops another option on me, the "Everyday Variant." Now, I'm seriously questioning all these too-good-to-be-true promises he's been throwing around. So, I just tell him I'll pass for now, and I promise to swing by later with a cheque. That's when we can move forward with this "Everyday Variant."

And now, thanks for suggesting to close the account, but unfortunately, I'll have to hit up the branch where it all started to get that done.

mail everything to pno with a threat going to ombudsman and close the thing !
Appreciate the suggestion, mate. I've dropped an email to their Nodal desk, laying out the whole deal right from the beginning. Thing is, I haven't got any sort of acknowledgment that they've received my email. Now, let's talk about their online complaint portal– it's a total disaster. They're asking for a service request number, but when I punch that in, it's demanding the latest reference number instead. Can you believe it?

If it is not possibly easy to re-activate an old a/c, why worry ?

Open a new a/c. In the same bank or any other - there are over a dozen now opening a/CS online.

Unless you are a shareholder or an ex employee (like me - xPNB and XSBI), why have such a deep sentiment or attachment ?
No, I don't have any form of attachment to Kotak Bank. I already have separate accounts for various purposes, such as one for investments and another for bill payments. So, when Kotak began reactivating old 811 accounts that had been closed due to non-KYC compliance, I thought about getting it reactivated. My intention was to use it for day-to-day transactions, ensuring that my other accounts wouldn't be cluttered with minor transactions. Unfortunately, it seems that this plan has backfired quite severely.

sm9811911

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Hey,

This dude then sends me to yet another person, and now they're all curious about my life – my job, my favorite pizza, my college days, you name it. After some poking around on their system with my CRN, he's like, "Dude, you need a fresh account." I'm like, "Nah, can't do that, I can't keep any balance, I just want that zero balance account, I already have other bank accounts to deal with." He's like, "Hey, how about you toss in 2 lakh INR and then keep zero balance?" I'm like, yeah, sounds kinda cool. But whoa, hold up! The dude's selecting the "Ace" variant, and man, that just raised my suspicion. So I'm like, "Wait a sec, show me where that whole 'no need to keep an average balance' deal is mentioned. After wasting a good 5 minutes browsing, he finally pulls up the "Ace" variant page and zooms through it. He points at something like "Ace" in the "League" whatever. I'm like, I want to see the zero balance part. I finally spot the details about the Minimum Average Balance – turns out, it's gotta be 50,000 INR. Nope, not gonna deal with that headache.

You're such a great story teller.

Hey,

If you want your everyday savings account to become zero bal account with no conditions, call the CC and ask them to convert it to Solo Savings account. Voila!!