• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

ICICI Unethical Banking: Credit Limit Enhancement Issue

Hi Everyone,

I never thought my first post on this platform would start of with sharing a negative experience.

I have had ICICI Amazon Pay card with an existing limit of INR 400,000 for more than 2 years ( 0 defaults/delayed payments, 0 EMIs and always pre paid the amount before the bill was generated and most of the time I over pay to the nearest hundred from what I have utilised).

In November 2023, I mailed customer.care@icicibank.com for credit limit enahcement ( for obvious reasons). Didn't provide any income documents or any other supporting statement. Nor I wanted or want to provide any income documents.

On 23/11/2023, I received the below reponse from ICICI customer care.

1702658647068.png

As per general understanding of the English language across the globe, above mail means new limit should be INR 800,000.

I was happy to see the mail and quickly checked iMobile app to check the increased limit.

To my suprise its was reflecting my old limit of INR 400,000. I mailed them back on this. Got the following response.

1702658887613.png

What's wrong with ICICI bank, are they so dilussional and dumb, or they take customers for granted?

First they said my limit has been increased by INR 400,000 and next day they are saying increased to INR 400,000. When my exiting limit is already INR 400,000 then how come they have increased it to INR 400,000 ( for those who are wondering about 197.14, its my excess payment)

I mailed to headcreditcards@icicibank.com and headservicequality@icicibank regadring this, they are saying the mail of 23/11/2023, in which they said limit is increased by INR 400,000 was by mistake, they meant to INR 400,000 (as per the mail of 24/11/2023).

Now they are backing out from there own mail in which in writing they said that it has been increased by INR 400,000 ( the mail of 23/11/2023). And they closed this matter from their end on 28/11/2023 saying limit cannot be increased due to banks internal guidelines/policy (the infamous lines).

And the worst part is ICICI made a CIBIL enquiry on 01/12/2023 for a credit for which I never applied.

This is serious red flag. When according to their mail they had closed the matter on 28/11/2023, then why ICICI made a CIBIL enquiry on 01/12/2023.

Can we trust the banks these days? I mean they are backing out from their own words in which in writing they said it has been increased by INR 400,000.

I even mailed to managingdirector@icicibank.com. They are also not helping and repeating the same.

What is my possible way out from this?

Please help

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Hi Everyone,

I never thought my first post on this platform would start of with sharing a negative experience.

I have had ICICI Amazon Pay card with an existing limit of INR 400,000 for more than 2 years ( 0 defaults/delayed payments, 0 EMIs and always pre paid the amount before the bill was generated and most of the time I over pay to the nearest hundred from what I have utilised).

In November 2023, I mailed customer.care@icicibank.com for credit limit enahcement ( for obvious reasons). Didn't provide any income documents or any other supporting statement. Nor I wanted or want to provide any income documents.

1702658647068.png

As per general understanding of the English language across the globe, above mail means new limit should be INR 800,000.

I was happy to see the mail and quickly checked iMobile app to check the increased limit.

To my suprise its was reflecting my old limit of INR 400,000. I mailed them back on this. Got the following response.

1702658887613.png

What's wrong with ICICI bank, are they so dilussional and dumb, or they take customers for granted?

First they said my limit has been increased by INR 400,000 and next day they are saying increased to INR 400,000. When my exiting limit is already INR 400,000 then how come they have increased it to INR 400,000 ( for those who are wondering about 197.14, its my excess payment)

I mailed to headcreditcards@icicibank.com and headservicequality@icicibank regadring this, they are saying the mail of 23/11/2023, in which they said limit is increased by INR 400,000 was by mistake, they meant to INR 400,000 (as per the mail of 24/11/2023).

Now they are backing out from there own mail in which in writing they said that it has been increased by INR 400,000 ( the mail of 23/11/2023). And they closed this matter from their end on 28/11/2023 saying limit cannot be increased due to banks internal guidelines/policy (the infamous lines).

And the worst part is ICICI made a CIBIL enquiry on 01/12/2023 for a credit for which I never applied.

This is serious red flag. When according to their mail they had closed the matter on 28/11/2023, then why ICICI made a CIBIL enquiry on 01/12/2023.

Can we trust the banks these days? I mean they are backing out from their own words in which in writing they said it has been increased by INR 400,000.

I even mailed to managingdirector@icicibank.com. They are also not helping and repeating the same.

Please help
To make the matter simple..

1) for LE, the discretion is entirely upon ICICI.. RBI or even the God also can’t help.. Suppose you want them to stand by their words and suppose say they did it.. on the next day they can decrease it to even 2 lakhs. It’s completely up to them…

2) Regarding CIBIL enquiry, you can fight and you have absolute right to do so.. you can start with first asking them to remove the enquiry

My 2 cents.. I am done

Last edited:

aayusharyan

TF Ace
Hi Everyone,

1702658647068.png

1702658887613.png

Please help
IMO, this feels a bit far fetched. And I'm the kind of person who plays Email game with banks very frequently.
A Credit Check does not guarantee to a Limit Enhancement.
You made a request, they tried to accommodate that but the Credit Team (which is separate from the Customer Service team) found that the limit they can offer is 4L only. So, they updated on that and the CS team replied on that.

You need to know that these emails are sent manually so there is a very high chance that this is just an honest mistake by an agent. (They usually have these templates ready to copy paste in notepad somewhere). That does not guarantee that they will entertain you.
I mean sure, you can go to RBI but you will be wasting yours and bank's time as well.

Rest, if you do chose to fight this fight. Do share your updates here.

aayusharyan

TF Ace
2) Regarding CIBIL enquiry, you can fight and you have absolute right to do so.. you can start with first ask them to remove the enquiry
How? OP asked for a Credit Limit Refresh, bank checked the Report and the result was no LE needed, in this case. How can OP request for a Credit Check Enquiry Removal. I mean, on what grounds?

cardio_guy

TF Ace
I had a similar problem. They sent mail like increased by x Lakh. I mailed them clearly i want credit limit of 10 lakh. Give me 10L limit. Those idiots still replied like - limit increase by ... Same day I called 1800 1080 and asked them what is this. Then they told it is increased, wait for 1 or 2 days and check imobile. Then it got updated in imobile after 1 day. They have to hire an English grammar teacher first.

cardio_guy

TF Ace
Also for that, make sure you have set the limit utilisation at 100% in your imobile. Like if u have 3L limit but you have set usage limit as 1L, then their limit enhancement wont work. They will tell first set it to 100 percent and then apply for increase.

What is the statue of limitation for the authorization given to banks to charge your credit card through OTP authentication?

On 08/08/23 I did a transaction on Flipkart through my ICICI Card. OTP came in, I entered the OTP, the transaction was successful at Flipkart. But this charge never came up on my card statement. When I contacted ICICI regarding this they informed me that the merchant hasn't claimed the funds yet, if they don't claim within 21 days then the limit blocked on my card for this transaction will be released. Flipkart never claimed this transaction untill 28/12/23. After four & a half month's this transaction appeared on my card.

Now doesn't the authorisation I gave on 08/08/23 through OTP authentication have a expiry date? From what I found our through searching the internet the merchant has maximum upto 31days to claim/charge a credit card account. After that the initial authorization given expires and incase they need to charge your account they need a fresh authorization

Attachments

• IMG_20240105_194931.jpg
    IMG_20240105_194931.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 41

Tejo

TF Legend
What is the statue of limitation for the authorization given to banks to charge your credit card through OTP authentication?

On 08/08/23 I did a transaction on Flipkart through my ICICI Card. OTP came in, I entered the OTP, the transaction was successful at Flipkart. But this charge never came up on my card statement. When I contacted ICICI regarding this they informed me that the merchant hasn't claimed the funds yet, if they don't claim within 21 days then the limit blocked on my card for this transaction will be released. Flipkart never claimed this transaction untill 28/12/23. After four & a half month's this transaction appeared on my card.

Now doesn't the authorisation I gave on 08/08/23 through OTP authentication have a expiry date? From what I found our through searching the internet the merchant has maximum upto 31days to claim/charge a credit card account. After that the initial authorization given expires and incase they need to charge your account they need a fresh authorization
What you purchased?

Same thing happened with me 2 days ago, a transaction i did in august 23 was reflecting in jan 24 statement

ICICI Bank and their language! a true love story.... I'm already fighting with them.
Your credit limit should be 8L as per the first reply. Don't know what's wrong with ICICI people.
To be honest in my opinion these big pvt banks think they are too huge and customers don't matter to them anymore. They don't even care about compalining to RBI Ombudsman. I need not say about their customer service otherwise you won't be reading this comment.

Banks can do whatever they want, backout from their written email, MITC etc etc. They don't fear anyone. Banks can get away with anything whatever they have done.

And we as a consumer even if miss a single paise by mistake, heavy penalties are levied, CIBIL is destroyed and what not.
Or if a bank credits some money by mistake to our account/credit card and if we refuse to return it, we will be put behind bars.

RBI Ombudsman has become even worse than these bank's customer care. RBI Obudsman doesnt even read the email what is written.
I raised a query with RBI Ombudsman for SBI (after escalating to PNO with proper service request numbers), RBI closed the complain stating that the concern was not raised with SBI.

just to end below is case of so called leading bank 'HDFC' where a son fought with HDFC Bank for 9 years.