• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Hoy many credit inquiries is too much?

rohitpgarg

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
If I am looking to get more than 1 credit card, then how much should I space them out to avoid a hit to credit score.

How should I space out my credit inquiries.

My credit score is > 750, if it's relevant. No missed payments ever.

Zacobite

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
If I am looking to get more than 1 credit card, then how much should I space them out to avoid a hit to credit score.

How should I space out my credit inquiries.

My credit score is > 750, if it's relevant. No missed payments ever.
One by one every 4-6 months per card is ok.. Dont apply for all at the same time.. And in case any card is rejected.. wait for 3-6 months to apply for another one.. Choose which CC you apply for carefully.. dont apply for premium cards if income doesn't match.. you will get rejected, and will show on CIBIL. Pay on time.. grow score and banks will start approaching you directly...

anirban.choudhury

TF Legend
TF Family
VIP Lounge
One by one every 4-6 months per card is ok.. Dont apply for all at the same time.. And in case any card is rejected.. wait for 3-6 months to apply for another one.. Choose which CC you apply for carefully.. dont apply for premium cards if income doesn't match.. you will get rejected, and will show on CIBIL. Pay on time.. grow score and banks will start approaching you directly...
Only one thing rejection is not labelled in Cibil , everything just comes up as a enquiry . There is no way to find out whether enquiry is converted/approved/rejected

Zacobite

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Only one thing rejection is not labelled in Cibil , everything just comes up as a enquiry . There is no way to find out whether enquiry is converted/approved/rejected
Agree.. but so many enquiries will show... which will pull his score down further.. he is just starting off so many enquiries are not advisable when getting rejected

Anil_Singh

TF Ace
Agree.. but so many enquiries will show... which will pull his score down further.. he is just starting off so many enquiries are not advisable when getting rejected
My experience was different. I applied for SBI card in 2019 and they made 5-6 enquiries at that time (3 years ago). It was my first card. I complained to nodal officer at that time but he did not remove those enquiries. These enquiries did not effect my following applications. I have 8 active credit cards as of now. Closed 2 cards.

I agree that repeated applications will project us as credit hungry but one application per month is fine IMHO. Doesn't matter if the application is approved or rejected.

Zacobite

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
My experience was different. I applied for SBI card in 2019 and they made 5-6 enquiries at that time (3 years ago). It was my first card. I complained to nodal officer at that time but he did not remove those enquiries. These enquiries did not effect my following applications. I have 8 active credit cards as of now. Closed 2 cards.

I agree that repeated applications will project us as credit hungry but one application per month is fine IMHO. Doesn't matter if the application is approved or rejected.
Yes, its inconsistent many times.I remember when i had applied for a home loan, during tele verification, they asked me to explain every enquiry on cibil for last 1 yr.. so better safe than sorry.. banks can be very unpredictable so we have to be careful.. getting things corrected or changed is a nightmare as you have experienced..

Anil_Singh

TF Ace
Yes, its inconsistent many times.I remember when i had applied for a home loan, during tele verification, they asked me to explain every enquiry on cibil for last 1 yr.. so better safe than sorry.. banks can be very unpredictable so we have to be careful.. getting things corrected or changed is a nightmare as you have experienced..
Getting things corrected is really a nightmare. I am currently disputing false personal loan enquiry by ICICI and an additional enquiry by HDFC since a month. Every week getting email from them stating that they will get back within a day/week.

anirban.choudhury

TF Legend
TF Family
VIP Lounge
Getting things corrected is really a nightmare. I am currently disputing false personal loan enquiry by ICICI and an additional enquiry by HDFC since a month. Every week getting email from them stating that they will get back within a day/week.
Amex has been really accommodating in this , they corrected a mistake from their end in just 4 days , and the same was reflected on my Cibil in next 2 days

Zacobite

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
What's the ideal gap if applying for amex? Assuming all previous enquiries led to a cc approval?

IE, if I get 1 card in Feb, when should I apply for amex?
You can apply immediately if you have high scores of above 800 so a marginal drop won't matter.. if you have borderline cibil around 750, then avoid for atleast 3 - 6 months.. Use the 1st card, pay on time.. build score and then apply.. there will always be offers.. many may different n opinion.. this is mine..

suhailmz

TF Premier
Even IDFC is better in terms of correcting credit data. They corrected Flipkart BNPL (closed in 2021) late payment reflecting in CIBIL within a week of complaint.
Even I have a late payment for Flipkart BNPL, I’m not sure if I really missed the payment. The loan is closed as of now. But it shows one late payment. What was your situation?