• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

How to get ITIN as USA non-resident?

Post number 11 has been selected as best answer.

moneyMaker

TF Ace
Contributor
RML Group
So you can apply for USA AmEX cards without an ITIN but you need it for others. You need to file a small income return to get ITIN, there are several services that automate this.
My research (& friends) has led me to these 2 sites:

https://ein-itin.com/product/itin-application/ - $245.00 + rs 1829 for mailing docs
https://frugalflyer.ca/itin/ - $140 CAD + 50$ for certified copy + Rs 1829 International Speed Post with document by Indian Post so effectively it comes down to 15000rs/$184

you can save that 140 CAD by filling the forms yourself but it would be very time consuming and may not work.

2nd service is cheaper but I need to have CTC of my passport, so I went to my local embassy satellite (VFS Global), they sent me to this website ustraveldocs.com, so I have mailed them several times but got "your email is blank" lol. So probably they don't know what I am asking them?

the 245 will do everything digitally as they provide a person that will represent me. Any experience / views regarding this?

Last edited:

lucifer

TF Premier
TF Family
VIP Lounge
ok so whats the difference bw notorization / Apostille / certified copy. This rabbit hole just gets bigger and bigger...
I think they need an MEA stamp that is known as apostille. Notary can be done by any govt/lawyer employee which is not valid for them

moneyMaker

TF Ace
Contributor
RML Group
Edit: 245 one also needs you to mail stuff so the Indian Post also adds up

so effectively they both have a difference of Passport certification, in one they do it digitally while in the other I have to go to some agency to get the stamp.

If that Apostille thing works, I will go with the frugalflyer's service

lucifer

TF Premier
TF Family
VIP Lounge
Edit: 245 one also needs you to mail stuff so the Indian Post also adds up

so effectively they both have a difference of Passport certification, in one they do it digitally while in the other I have to go to some agency to get the stamp.

If that Apostille thing works, I will go with the frugalflyer's service
I am planning to do the same. Let me know how it goes bro

moneyMaker

TF Ace
Contributor
RML Group
So guys I will be contacting IRS authorized acceptance agents for further clarifications, click the link and visit your nearest one!

Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) Form W-7

If you are applying for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) and need to have your identification verified before sending your application to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) in the United States, this service is available through IRS authorized acceptance agents or by attending an appointment at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate.
You must bring your passport and a good quality color photocopy of the biographical data page of your passport (the page with your photograph) with you to your notarial appointment at the Embassy or Consulate.

Last edited:

moneyMaker

TF Ace
Contributor
RML Group
So I had a chat over phone with a registered agent.

They do everything, you just have to bring them passport, 2 colored copies of passport page that has your pic and some reason why you are getting an ITIN - company, business, bank opening, usa visit / visa (so that the tax return is filed against that). They do a video recording for the record and you need to sign some docs.

The pricing includes certification of the passport copy. Shipping will be around 2500-3000 rs.

INR will have GST, can pay in USD.

pricing.jpg

Last edited: