• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

How to apply for US credit card - guide for non-resident

Hello everyone,
In this post, I'll tell you about - how to apply for US credit cards without US credit history.
If you are planing to move to USA for educational purposes or any other reason, you may get a credit card this way.
To apply for US credit card, you need-
1. US Address
2. US Bank Account
3. Need Indian Passport
4. US Phone No

5. SSN/ITIN (you can apply for ITIN, if you are ready to pay 300/400$ fees. - SSN/ITIN not required for AMEX credit cards)

Getting US credit cards without US credit history is not that easy, but wait... you can apply for US Amex credit card without US credit history or SSN/ITIN number, using your Indian Credit History.
So... How to apply for US Amex Credit Card Using Indian Credit History?

1. Make sure you have a physical US address & US Mobile no.

Now,
2. Go to this link- Nova Credit [Click Here] (Use This Link & Get $50 Amazon GV After Card Approval)
3. Select India (I recently moved from drop down menu) & Enter your email ID (to receive 50$ amazon GV after card approval, for using our link)

Screenshot 2022-03-17 at 4.42.19 PM.png
4. On the next page, select any Amex credit card you want to apply for & click on "Apply Now"
Screenshot 2022-03-17 at 4.47.34 PM.png
5. On the next page, click on "Got it, take me to American Express"
Screenshot 2022-03-17 at 4.51.51 PM.png
6. You'll be redirected to Amex official website, on that page click on "Apply Now"
Screenshot 2022-03-17 at 4.55.07 PM.png
7. On the next page, enter your details, your income and tick the box- "I don't have a credit history in the US, but have had a credit card or loan in Australia, Brazil, Canada, the Dominican Republic, India, Kenya, Mexico, Nigeria or the United Kingdom. (If you have a Social Security Number, please enter it below.)"
Screenshot 2022-03-17 at 5.00.10 PM.png
8. On the next page, Amex will ask you to provide them access to your home country's credit history.
Select India from the list.
Screenshot 2022-03-17 at 5.10.27 PM.png
9. Enter your details & click on Next
10. Now enter your Indian mobile no and click on Next
Screenshot 2022-03-17 at 5.17.29 PM.png
11. Enter your Indian address and click on Next
12. Now Enter your PAN Card no and click on Next
13. Now Enter your email ID and click on next
14. On the next page, tick both box and click on agree
Screenshot 2022-03-17 at 5.28.43 PM.png
15. You will see a page like this- "Good news! We located a matching record at Transunion CIBIL"
click on Next
Screenshot 2022-03-17 at 5.37.11 PM.png
16. They might ask you some questions, answer them and click on "Transfer my credit history to the U.S."
17. On the next page, Amex will ask you for your ID proof, Select Passport & enter your Indian passport details.
Screenshot 2022-03-17 at 5.44.43 PM.png

Done!
Now Amex might ask you for additional documents or they might approve your application instantly.
If they ask you to call them, you have to call them to review your application.
Good Luck 🤞

Last edited:

jay

TF Select
Foreign Credit Card Expert
VIP Lounge
Hotel Loyalty Expert
Airmiles Expert
Credit Card Expert
Has anyone tried converting Indian MR to USA MR? What was the process and ratio?
Yes already done and dusted. It is documented here on the forums as well.

Hi,

I was just checking Aeldra is closing down the operations, is there any other option now to apply for the US-based cards?

Attachments

• 1661942553894.png
    1661942553894.png
    205.5 KB · Views: 47

gurbina

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Can anyone tell me what are the benefits of having an US credit card in India?
No currency exchange fees, no overzealous IT notices, better rewards transfer rates, infinite times better welcome bonuses, better benefits overall.
And most importantly better interest rates unlike the predatory rates of any lending product in India and better customer service.
Oh, and there's restrictions from RBI that obviously won't apply to US issued cards like purchases in certain categories like crypto, gambling or over certain amounts in foreign currencies which will create headaches.

Needless to say not all benefits can be availed or are of particularly value in India.

If anything it will mostly benefit travelers/NRIs and not much anyone else. Foreign cards don't work in a lot of places in India. Even mainstream places like Samsung, Fossil, some Apple stores and most small-medium sized merchants do NOT accept foreign cards. These transactions are disabled in their terminals, specially outside major metros. On top of that if it is an AMEX they're frowned upon nearly anywhere outside US and big merchants.

Do mind the implications, as you'll need to transfer money overseas to pay it and that is a burden in terms of paperwork, taxation, costs, time and others.

Last edited:

souvikr

TF Premier
No currency exchange fees, no overzealous IT notices, better rewards transfer rates, infinite times better welcome bonuses, better benefits overall.
And most importantly better interest rates unlike the predatory rates of any lending product in India and better customer service.
Oh, and there's restrictions from RBI that obviously won't apply to US issued cards like purchases in certain categories like crypto, gambling or over certain amounts in foreign currencies which will create headaches.

Needless to say not all benefits can be availed or are of particularly value in India.

If anything it will mostly benefit travelers/NRIs and not much anyone else. Foreign cards don't work in a lot of places in India. Even mainstream places like Samsung, Fossil, some Apple stores and most small-medium sized merchants do NOT accept foreign cards. These transactions are disabled in their terminals, specially outside major metros. On top of that if it is an AMEX they're frowned upon nearly anywhere outside US and big merchants.

Do mind the implications, as you'll need to transfer money overseas to pay it and that is a burden in terms of paperwork, taxation, costs, time and others.
I got your points but these benefits don't seem useful to me unless I am going to travel to US.
If you transact in INR in India with US credit card, anyways you have to pay currency exchange fee.

gurbina

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I got your points but these benefits don't seem useful to me unless I am going to travel to US.
If you transact in INR in India with US credit card, anyways you have to pay currency exchange fee.
Then no foreign card will be of any value to you. Exchange rates are fine as they're not high and there's no foreign currency markup (+GST) unlike most cards here.

If you don't travel or do spends in other currencies, have an easy and affordable way to have funds/transfer to pay your card then it's of no value to you.

I can even see some forum members getting them just because they can.

Last edited:

infiniia

TF Buzz
Then no foreign card will be of any value to you. Exchange rates are fine as they're not high and there's no foreign currency markup (+GST) unlike most cards here.

If you don't travel or do spends in other currencies, have an easy and affordable way to have funds/transfer to pay your card then it's of no value to you.

I can even see some forum members getting them just because they can.
i got approved for amex us hilton honors ltf card with 100,000 bonus points which i used on my trip to bali for 3 nights stay in kuta and 1 night in conrad bali worth over 40,000 indian rupees all this for spending 1000 usd on my credit card. I am happy with my choice also it is a ltf so no annual charges and stuff.

vishalm

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
Any update recently on Aeldrs closing down operations and alternate options? I wanted to try this but I can see there are no updates here for more than 2 months. Anyone got through this recently?

timetraveller

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
I had applied for a Amex Hilton card and received call from Customer Care for address verification. Would like to know if there is any other workaround (other then Aeldra) for address proof?