• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

How to apply for US credit card - guide for non-resident

Hello everyone,
In this post, I'll tell you about - how to apply for US credit cards without US credit history.
If you are planing to move to USA for educational purposes or any other reason, you may get a credit card this way.
To apply for US credit card, you need-
1. US Address
2. US Bank Account
3. Need Indian Passport
4. US Phone No

5. SSN/ITIN (you can apply for ITIN, if you are ready to pay 300/400$ fees. - SSN/ITIN not required for AMEX credit cards)

Getting US credit cards without US credit history is not that easy, but wait... you can apply for US Amex credit card without US credit history or SSN/ITIN number, using your Indian Credit History.
So... How to apply for US Amex Credit Card Using Indian Credit History?

1. Make sure you have a physical US address & US Mobile no.

Now,
2. Go to this link- Nova Credit [Click Here] (Use This Link & Get $50 Amazon GV After Card Approval)
3. Select India (I recently moved from drop down menu) & Enter your email ID (to receive 50$ amazon GV after card approval, for using our link)

Screenshot 2022-03-17 at 4.42.19 PM.png
4. On the next page, select any Amex credit card you want to apply for & click on "Apply Now"
Screenshot 2022-03-17 at 4.47.34 PM.png
5. On the next page, click on "Got it, take me to American Express"
Screenshot 2022-03-17 at 4.51.51 PM.png
6. You'll be redirected to Amex official website, on that page click on "Apply Now"
Screenshot 2022-03-17 at 4.55.07 PM.png
7. On the next page, enter your details, your income and tick the box- "I don't have a credit history in the US, but have had a credit card or loan in Australia, Brazil, Canada, the Dominican Republic, India, Kenya, Mexico, Nigeria or the United Kingdom. (If you have a Social Security Number, please enter it below.)"
Screenshot 2022-03-17 at 5.00.10 PM.png
8. On the next page, Amex will ask you to provide them access to your home country's credit history.
Select India from the list.
Screenshot 2022-03-17 at 5.10.27 PM.png
9. Enter your details & click on Next
10. Now enter your Indian mobile no and click on Next
Screenshot 2022-03-17 at 5.17.29 PM.png
11. Enter your Indian address and click on Next
12. Now Enter your PAN Card no and click on Next
13. Now Enter your email ID and click on next
14. On the next page, tick both box and click on agree
Screenshot 2022-03-17 at 5.28.43 PM.png
15. You will see a page like this- "Good news! We located a matching record at Transunion CIBIL"
click on Next
Screenshot 2022-03-17 at 5.37.11 PM.png
16. They might ask you some questions, answer them and click on "Transfer my credit history to the U.S."
17. On the next page, Amex will ask you for your ID proof, Select Passport & enter your Indian passport details.
Screenshot 2022-03-17 at 5.44.43 PM.png

Done!
Now Amex might ask you for additional documents or they might approve your application instantly.
If they ask you to call them, you have to call them to review your application.
Good Luck 🤞

Last edited:

churn

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Ok guys I will be following this plan lets see what happens:

1. Indian AmEx SmartEarn
2. snapmailbox
2. utoppia.com & wise.com
3. Nova Credit
4. frugalflyer.ca/itin

what do you guys use for USA number?
Also, when signing up for an AMEX US card, use a referral if possible. Sometimes, referral offers are better for Amex.

CC_Fire

TF Premier
Hi, has anyone tried this route recently?

- snapmailbox address
- utoppia.com & wise.com
- Nova Credit
and then actually received the card and onward shipped to India? (have heard that customs generally intercept card shipments if not directly from issuer !!)

So technically when you make the amex application, all you need is an address and passport details? It is sometimes approved on that basis. In certain cases, they ask for address proof for which you then open the utoppia bank account? Is that understanding correct?

Also, will you be able to retain India Amex cards alongside the US ones?

Last edited:

CC_Fire

TF Premier
Thanks for this. So essentially the snapmailbox address can only be used as address proof if we get a CMRA notarised form?

That leaves the banking bit unclear. I have a wise account which i had opened long back but my USD account is in a UK bank! So hoping this Utoppia thing works out !

Also have heard from a friend who moved to the US that an account can be opened with an Indian fintech Zolve. He didnt need an SSN but not sure if it requires a student/work visa.

TechDrifter

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
I'd like to share my experience of getting an Amex US Green card approved in less than 24 hours and dispatched. (No Address Proof Required).
PS : I am an existing Amex Platinum Charge holder in India.

1. Start with the Nova Credit application.
2. when you get redirected to the Amex page. Login with your existing Amex credentials.
3. Provide your US Phone number and an US address (I gave a friend's address)
4. When prompted say yes to transfer credit history from your home country.
5. Complete the submission.

I got a call from Amex team on my US number to verify my address and then confirmed the card is approved and will be dispatching it in few hours ( June 6th) .
Card is now about to get delivered today June 7th.

I'll pick it up when I go to US next month.

Hope this helps.

CC_Fire

TF Premier
ok that sounds promising. I am also a plat charge holder in India. Did you login to Amex using your Amex india credentials?

Aside, do you already have a us bank account to pay your bills every month. Doesnt seem to be a clear solution for that problem yet. Looks like utoppia is a bit unreliable

sxchzy

TF Legend
VIP Lounge
ok that sounds promising. I am also a plat charge holder in India. Did you login to Amex using your Amex india credentials?

Aside, do you already have a us bank account to pay your bills every month. Doesnt seem to be a clear solution for that problem yet. Looks like utoppia is a bit unreliable
Paying your bills won't be a problem as you can do swift transfers
But the main questions is what good is a foreign cc if the markup eats all the reward points

CC_Fire

TF Premier
Think the green card and platinum card have 0 foreign transaction markups. Which makes them pretty interesting. I think you cannot make CC bill payments in the US without a US bank account. Happy to be corrected if you have experience otherwise

sxchzy

TF Legend
VIP Lounge
Think the green card and platinum card have 0 foreign transaction markups. Which makes them pretty interesting. I think you cannot make CC bill payments in the US without a US bank account. Happy to be corrected if you have experience otherwise
If the markup is 0 then it's perfect.
Also you can make outward remittances through your Indian bank so bill payment won't be an issue

TechDrifter

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge

Yes, I logged in with my Amex India credentials. I too have Utopia and I am apprehensive about it too but Its worth a try. I am trying to open a traditional Bank account via HSBC India where I have a premier account and as a benefit they allow you to open accounts in other countries.

gurbina

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Also you can make outward remittances through your Indian bank so bill payment won't be an issue
But remittances attract TCS, no? And it's gonna be 20% from July 1.

I find all this TCS matter very hard and ridiculous, about what you can and can not do with your money on which you've already paid tax (moreso you've provided PAN), and how they can come up with taxes and systems unilaterally.

What's PAN for? If you have provided PAN, ALL is recorded. If there's discrepancies, undisclosed income and others it WILL show up and they can come after the people who are avoiding tax or not filing ITR. IT knows who they're.

It made sense to charge TCS if you didn't have PAN registered as you could avoid taxation and there's no record of your income, expenses, etc. This is true and even makes sense to charge the highest tax brackets.
But with PAN and charging 20% TCS? PAN was supposed to deal with those issues, now it is mandatory for many transactions yet we are still getting screwed, and getting screwed more than ever.

Last edited:

churn

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
But remittances attract TCS, no? And it's gonna be 20% from July 1.

I find all this TCS matter very hard and ridiculous, about what you can and can not do with your money on which you've already paid tax (moreso you've provided PAN), and how they can come up with taxes and systems unilaterally.

What's PAN for? If you have provided PAN, ALL is recorded. If there's discrepancies, undisclosed income and others it WILL show up and they can come after the people who are avoiding tax or not filing ITR. IT knows who they're.

It made sense to charge TCS if you didn't have PAN registered as you could avoid taxation and there's no record of your income, expenses, etc. This is true and even makes sense to charge the highest tax brackets.
But with PAN and charging 20% TCS? PAN was supposed to deal with those issues, now it is mandatory for many transactions yet we are still getting screwed, and getting screwed more than ever.
I agree to your point. It makes complete sense. Everything, as you said is being recorded using PAN and Aadhar. I think this will come down after July 1, since all foreign remittances will attract 20% TCS (I am not talking about education and medical expenses here)

wokrishnahai

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Hi, Can anyone share a fast way to get a US credit card? I want to have one as I wanted to book a ticket using United Mileage Plus. I couldn't do a booking using an Indian credit card for payment and taxes.

Or

If someone who has a US credit card could help me with the booking of the flight.

Thanks,
Krishna

churn

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Hi, Can anyone share a fast way to get a US credit card? I want to have one as I wanted to book a ticket using United Mileage Plus. I couldn't do a booking using an Indian credit card for payment and taxes.

Or

If someone who has a US credit card could help me with the booking of the flight.

Thanks,
Krishna
I can help you with the payment, but I shall tell you on how to pay for your United flight with your own card, and I guess teaching how to catch a fish is better than giving you a fish.

For the billing address when you have to make the payment, change the country to USA and fill any random address or your Indian address. The country should be selected as USA, and then try the payment. It should work fine. If you want to know more details, why it isn't working with "India", DM me. Its actually a currency conversion issue.

wokrishnahai

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I can help you with the payment, but I shall tell you on how to pay for your United flight with your own card, and I guess teaching how to catch a fish is better than giving you a fish.

For the billing address when you have to make the payment, change the country to USA and fill any random address or your Indian address. The country should be selected as USA, and then try the payment. It should work fine. If you want to know more details, why it isn't working with "India", DM me. Its actually a currency conversion issue.
You are right, It is always better to teach so that one can feed themselves for life. Rather than being dependent. I would really appreciate it if you could teach me.

I will DM you and you can guide me through it.

Ps. Yes, I did face the issue of currency conversion and the amount was showing in Indian rupee though on the website it was showing in dollars. Maybe I could follow the step you would tell me and try booking the flight.

Khaiz

TF Select
VIP Lounge
Have you or someone you know have paid Amex US bills through SWIFT?
If yes , Which should be the Acc no? And SWIFT Code?
I’ve been using Amex US cards for the past 1 year and i was only given an option of paying the bill After the fund reach my checking account.

kingcredit

TF Buzz
Hi guys, I applied through the same method and didn't receive any update from them so I just called them and they told me that they'd need Form 4506-C to process my application further, anyone else has experience with this?