• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

HDFC Bank and Canara Bank Credit Cards

sherlock

TF Buzz
I am interested in applying for credit cards in HDFC bank as well as Canara Bank to avail some online shopping offers. I am interested only in lifetime free cards, though I am willing to a pay a one time joining fee if required.

The HDFC Bank advertises so much about lifetime free cards with no conditions applied. But I always end up finding minimum quarterly spends or minimum annual spends to waive off the annual charges. Is there a true HDFC lifetime free credit card?

For Canara Bank, I found all of their credit cards are lifetime free. However, the portal is asking me to write a Canara Bank account number to apply for the credit card. Is savings account or fixed deposits account necessary to apply for Canara Bank credit card?

dexter_greycells

TF Premier
Got 3 HDFC CCs in the house and a friend just got a Canara Bank RuPay Platinum CC yesterday. None is LTF. All have annual spend-based waivers. Canara Bank's is 50k for Platinum, 1L for Select. HDFC has a very wide range of cards with various thresholds. People say talking to RM or send emails to some grievance mailbox can get you LTF.

And yes, HDFC is very shady about the words "Life Time Free". Another family member got an SMS stating the same but the T&C clearly mention annual fees waived on spends of Rs xxxxxx.

P B R G

TF Ace
I am interested in applying for credit cards in HDFC bank as well as Canara Bank to avail some online shopping offers. I am interested only in lifetime free cards, though I am willing to a pay a one time joining fee if required.

The HDFC Bank advertises so much about lifetime free cards with no conditions applied. But I always end up finding minimum quarterly spends or minimum annual spends to waive off the annual charges. Is there a true HDFC lifetime free credit card?

For Canara Bank, I found all of their credit cards are lifetime free. However, the portal is asking me to write a Canara Bank account number to apply for the credit card. Is savings account or fixed deposits account necessary to apply for Canara Bank credit card?
Stop chasing LTF cards only. Most of the time, Paid cards give better return value than any LTF Cards. I would anyday take a Paid Infinia than a basic LTF card.

SonyTom

TF Premier
HDFC - you can get LTF. But you need patience. Most of the time, you can recover your first year fee with amazon coupons they provide. Then use the card well for 1 year and then request to convert to LTF. Lot of people in technofino are holding HDFC millennia, Regalia, Diners club black and even Infinia as LTF. For Millennia, its easy to fulfil the spend based waiver of annual fees.
I am wondering what the benefits are of a Canara bank credit card. Not much discussion about this here in Tf.

dexter_greycells

TF Premier
HDFC - you can get LTF. But you need patience. Most of the time, you can recover your first year fee with amazon coupons they provide. Then use the card well for 1 year and then request to convert to LTF. Lot of people in technofino are holding HDFC millennia, Regalia, Diners club black and even Infinia as LTF. For Millennia, its easy to fulfil the spend based waiver of annual fees.
I am wondering what the benefits are of a Canara bank credit card. Not much discussion about this here in Tf.
My friend got it because the RM called and took care of everything themselves. She needed a RuPay CC on UPI. She doesn't use any Tata brands ruling out the TataNeu cards. She didn't want to open a new bank relationship to get a CC thus ruling out Kotak Myntra and BOB Snapdeal. She has a Citi CC but Axis had never reached out to her for any of their RuPay CCs.

The only benefit of the Canara CC is a BOGO upto ₹300 on BMS every month. It also says Airport Lounge once or twice every quarter but I doubt it will work.

Last edited:

SonyTom

TF Premier
My friend got it because the RM called and took care of everything themselves. She needed a RuPay CC on UPI. She doesn't use any Tata brands ruling out the TataNeu cards. She didn't want to open a new bank relationship to get a CC thus ruling out Kotak Myntra and BOB Snapdeal. She has a Citi CC but Axis had never reached out to her for any of their RuPay CCs.

The only benefit of the Canara CC is a BOGO upto ₹300 on BMS every month. It also says Airport Lounge once or twice every quarter but I doubt it will work.
It may work for domestic lounge access since my Rupay platinum debit card was accepted at a lounge included in the list given on Rupay website.

coolanshu1000

TF Premier
Launge access works for the platinum and select Canara cards

The only benefit of the Canara CC is a BOGO upto ₹300 on BMS every month. It also says Airport Lounge once or twice every quarter but I doubt it w

vine

TF Premier

Which card from Canara Bank is LTF?
I tried asking BM , because my father has a SB account, but he said only paid cc are available.
If I get clear information about unconditional LTF and name of card , I will go and give him a bamboo.

dexter_greycells

TF Premier
Which card from Canara Bank is LTF?
I tried asking BM , because my father has a SB account, but he said only paid cc are available.
If I get clear information about unconditional LTF and name of card , I will go and give him a bamboo.
We only looked at the RuPay ones. There are 2 and neither is free. The Platinum one has an annual spend based waiver of 50k else Rs 200 + GST as annual fees. The numbers for Select are 1L and Rs 300 + GST respectively.

sjmajumder

TF Ace
Canara cards are not LTF. There charges are-
Classic - fee 177 Rs. - spend based waiver 25,000
Platinum - fee 236 Rs. - spend based waiver 50,000
Select - fee 354 Rs. - spend based waiver 1,00,000
Those are old cards - discontinued. Check new cards here:

coolanshu1000

TF Premier
Canara bank has entry level CC as Classic Visa card with Nil Joining fee & 118/- annual fee (read: Card Inactivity Fee), applicable if annual spends are below 12k !!

Also, there is no mention of SB account to apply for CC !!

SB account id mandatory for Applying Credit Card in Canara.. it's mandatory at system level only.
Those are old cards - discontinued. Check new cards here:

Those are not discontinued cards.. these are just the varients.. some names has been changed now.