• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

HDFC Bank and Canara Bank Credit Cards

sherlock

TF Buzz
I am interested in applying for credit cards in HDFC bank as well as Canara Bank to avail some online shopping offers. I am interested only in lifetime free cards, though I am willing to a pay a one time joining fee if required.

The HDFC Bank advertises so much about lifetime free cards with no conditions applied. But I always end up finding minimum quarterly spends or minimum annual spends to waive off the annual charges. Is there a true HDFC lifetime free credit card?

For Canara Bank, I found all of their credit cards are lifetime free. However, the portal is asking me to write a Canara Bank account number to apply for the credit card. Is savings account or fixed deposits account necessary to apply for Canara Bank credit card?

sjmajumder

TF Ace
I am interested in applying for credit cards in HDFC bank as well as Canara Bank to avail some online shopping offers. I am interested only in lifetime free cards, though I am willing to a pay a one time joining fee if required.

The HDFC Bank advertises so much about lifetime free cards with no conditions applied. But I always end up finding minimum quarterly spends or minimum annual spends to waive off the annual charges. Is there a true HDFC lifetime free credit card?

For Canara Bank, I found all of their credit cards are lifetime free. However, the portal is asking me to write a Canara Bank account number to apply for the credit card. Is savings account or fixed deposits account necessary to apply for Canara Bank credit card?
Why do you want Canara Bank CC? What benefits do they offer? I am sure they won't have any useful customer care. For smallest of the issues you will have to go to branch multiple times.

Vasuki

TF Pioneer
Contributor
RML Group
VIP Lounge

Why are we talking about two banks
1- hdfc - hopeless bank for l.e & card variant
2- canara - come on do they have cc . Hope has lost hope from this hopeless psu

dexter_greycells

TF Premier
Why do you want Canara Bank CC? What benefits do they offer? I am sure they won't have any useful customer care. For smallest of the issues you will have to go to branch multiple times.
My friend got the Canara Bank CC because the branch manager is somewhat close and pushed for it. Plus the friend has loans in Canara Bank and will have future needs too. It is a semi-urban location. The friend anyway needed a RuPay UPI CC without having to establish a new banking relationship. So they went for it. The 50k annual spend-based waiver was fine since they were already spending over 1L on their Citi Rewards which does not reward that well and whose waiver is at 35k.

Customer Care matters if you have an issue that requires their help. Everyone says Citi has excellent Customer Care but my friend hasn't had an issue in 8 years to ever reach out to them! We have had a Citi CC for over 30 yrs in the family and it has been the same.

All said and done, the friend and I were both surprised when we started noticing Canara Bank CC offers in unexpected places. There's BOGO (upto Rs 300) on BMS once a month (we are both BMS patrons), a few days ago we saw a 10% OFF offer on Flipkart and just yesterday I availed a 15% OFF upto Rs 125 OFF on a Zomato order. So the card is alright.

Full Disclosure - I myself have a Saraswat Bank RuPay CC. People haven't heard of that bank's name. I got it when HDFC and ICICI weren't offering any RuPay cards like they are now. That CC has only two uses for me - RuPay based offers and 20% OFF upto Rs 250 on 1 utility bill payment per month which I have been using for over a year now.

sjmajumder

TF Ace
My friend got the Canara Bank CC because the branch manager is somewhat close and pushed for it. Plus the friend has loans in Canara Bank and will have future needs too. It is a semi-urban location. The friend anyway needed a RuPay UPI CC without having to establish a new banking relationship. So they went for it. The 50k annual spend-based waiver was fine since they were already spending over 1L on their Citi Rewards which does not reward that well and whose waiver is at 35k.

Customer Care matters if you have an issue that requires their help. Everyone says Citi has excellent Customer Care but my friend hasn't had an issue in 8 years to ever reach out to them! We have had a Citi CC for over 30 yrs in the family and it has been the same.

All said and done, the friend and I were both surprised when we started noticing Canara Bank CC offers in unexpected places. There's BOGO (upto Rs 300) on BMS once a month (we are both BMS patrons), a few days ago we saw a 10% OFF offer on Flipkart and just yesterday I availed a 15% OFF upto Rs 125 OFF on a Zomato order. So the card is alright.

Full Disclosure - I myself have a Saraswat Bank RuPay CC. People haven't heard of that bank's name. I got it when HDFC and ICICI weren't offering any RuPay cards like they are now. That CC has only two uses for me - RuPay based offers and 20% OFF upto Rs 250 on 1 utility bill payment per month which I have been using for over a year now.
What about reward points and value of RP?

sjmajumder

TF Ace
I have HDFC Regalia and Tata Neu Infinity both unconditional LTF

None of their cards are lifetime free. It's just that Canara Bank Marketing department is smarter than HDFC marketing department. All their cards have an Inactivity Fee - which in other words is an annual minimum spend criteria based charge. So, they don't waive your charges if you meet the spend criteria but instead they will charge you if you don't meet the spend criteria. Just a smart way of putting things.

Trust Me

TF Ace
I used to hold it for 10+ years. But then cancelled it as they were not upgrading it to LTF Regalia and then applied for LTF Regalia after 4 months and got it.

I have it for 9 years now, and my first upgrade offer came just a few weeks back: to a paid Moneyback+ from my LTF Moneyback !

I'd never know what business sense it makes for them to annoy and insult an Imperia customer!

The problem for me with cancelling that card is, that is my oldest active card by far, with the largest CL to boot. --- It'll just rot in my locker with virtually no use. Be happy HDFC.

sjmajumder

TF Ace
I have it for 9 years now, and my first upgrade offer came just a few weeks back: to a paid Moneyback+ from my LTF Moneyback !

I'd never know what business sense it makes for them to annoy and insult an Imperia customer!

The problem for me with cancelling that card is, that is my oldest active card by far, with the largest CL to boot. --- It'll just rot in my locker with virtually no use. Be happy HDFC.
Just make sure you make a transaction at least once a year. I do it once in 6 months for all the cards. I just buy a Rs. 100 GV on Amazon when a card is unused for 6 months.

Trust Me

TF Ace
Just make sure you make a transaction at least once a year. I do it once in 6 months for all the cards. I just buy a Rs. 100 GV on Amazon when a card is unused for 6 months.

Yes, I do keep that in mind, -- just recharging a mobile no. for some small amount once in a while.

BTW, do you happen to know how that one year is counted, -- card anniversary date, or calendar year?