• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Getting a Credit Card as an 18 year old.

Riya Sharma

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
I have a nephew who is about to turn 19 in a couple of days. He is hardworking and makes really good money whilst being enrolled in a premier institute.
He has the Tata Neu card but wants something more rewarding. For quite a few years he was interested in credit cards as he had seen my collection and became enthralled. Now he is pestering me to help him get a premium credit card. He makes around 30 lakhs per annum and has an account in HDFC (they don't give non co-branded cc to under 21's) and an Axis Priority account in which he maintains 2lakhs (I think it is a stupid idea but he doesn't listen)

He hasn't even been able to get a credit card with Axis and is telling me that he will change his account and deposit even a 5 lakhs check in an account if they guarantee a credit card to him.

What will be the best bank for this?

Pack_of_Cards

TF Premier
That depends on how we take it.. seriously. It's not about him..it's about an individual..
I know you are in a difficult situation..
You love him and want to see his wish to be fulfilled somehow so that he is happy..
But do you really think it is good for him long term..
When we love someone we miss the common sense, logic.. that's what love does to us..
This is my last post with regard to this subject.
Best wishes to you and your nephew..
Things we do for love Sir.....

Reactions: SSV

Pack_of_Cards

TF Premier
I have a nephew who is about to turn 19 in a couple of days. He is hardworking and makes really good money whilst being enrolled in a premier institute.
He has the Tata Neu card but wants something more rewarding. For quite a few years he was interested in credit cards as he had seen my collection and became enthralled. Now he is pestering me to help him get a premium credit card. He makes around 30 lakhs per annum and has an account in HDFC (they don't give non co-branded cc to under 21's) and an Axis Priority account in which he maintains 2lakhs (I think it is a stupid idea but he doesn't listen)

He hasn't even been able to get a credit card with Axis and is telling me that he will change his account and deposit even a 5 lakhs check in an account if they guarantee a credit card to him.

What will be the best bank for this?
Why did he went for a Co-branded first that too with HDFC. I guess Curiosity kills the Cat.
Now he will be having troubles obtaining core CC. He could have waited and applied for a HDFC core CC and get other whatever Co-branded card he wants.
I guess you should have stopped him, this is the worst route to go by in HDFC.

Pack_of_Cards

TF Premier
I think he should be fascinated about women, as an engineering student it is probably harder to get a woman than a decent paying job

Aamir Khan Reaction GIF by GrowthX