• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Finance Bill 2023: FM says all credit cards payments for foreign tours to be considered under LRS

krishc

TF Ace

This will be a major blow! 20% TCS as per the proposal.
this will be very difficult to implement
and will undermine the whole purpose of a "credit" card

CMG

TF Ace
TF Family
VIP Lounge
Please explain Like I'm 5.

Can we claim this back while filing taxes? Who will collect TCS and pay the goverment so that it shows up in income tax portal?

Copycat

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Please explain Like I'm 5.

Can we claim this back while filing taxes? Who will collect TCS and pay the goverment so that it shows up in income tax portal?

Yes, you can claim it back when filing your tax returns, if you have paid extra taxes
The Bank (or for the new rule, the Credit Card issuer most probably) through which you make the payment will collect it and deposit it with the government so that it shows up in your 26AS

jade

TF Premier
This was expected. However the removal of indexation benefits and no LTCG tax on debt funds was unexpected

thanix

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Yes, you can claim it back when filing your tax returns, if you have paid extra taxes
The Bank (or for the new rule, the Credit Card issuer most probably) through which you make the payment will collect it and deposit it with the government so that it shows up in your 26AS
If I am on international travel and use my credit card there, is it subject to TCS? From first dollar? And it will be done by card issuer in statement? I have to get it back during IT filing. Is it the case?

thanix

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Debit is already under LRS
CC is outside yet
Forex not sure
I read that there was a exemption of 7L for debit card earlier. Now all gone gone. And this is from first dollar onwards. One Twitter user has put forex loads is also covered.

thanix

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
What I am not clear is whether it is only on travel to foreign countries or any international transaction from here. I have subscribed to a digital magazine from abroad and use credit card each month. Now will there be 20% TCS applicable on it?