• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Is This the End of Credit Card Business in India for Foreign Banks?

shsinha

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
AMEX has three excellent cards: gold, mrcc and plat trav card and all has milestone benefits and that push the people to spend more. Their customer service is great. However, I read in the news that Indusind has highest spend/card (more than American express).

rogerthat

TF Ace
AMEX has three excellent cards: gold, mrcc and plat trav card and all has milestone benefits and that push the people to spend more. Their customer service is great. However, I read in the news that Indusind has highest spend/card (more than American express).
People still use IndusInd cards? :oops:

TechnoFino

Founder
TF Family
Founder
Admin
last month IndusInd was at top, amex at 2nd. Amex is on top this month, generally amex capture top position.

sxchzy

TF Legend
VIP Lounge
Amex particularly has failed to capture market share for two reasons
Stringent credit policy
Higher mdr.
When you charge 1% higher than your peers who have a bigger market shares merchants start keeping non amex enabled pos leading to less number of transactions.
This has specifically kept amex as a card for the elite.
HSBC and SCB were also eyeing tier 1 market but due to their basic reward structure there hasn't been much steam on it

simplegarv

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Stringent credit policy
Higher mdr.
When you charge 1% higher than your peers who have a bigger market shares merchants start keeping non amex enabled pos leading to less number of transactions.
HSBC and SCB were also eyeing tier 1 market but due to their basic reward structure there hasn't been much steam on it
Main is Their Serviceable Area as i got amex approved with any income docs but they don't provide the card at my zip code.

sxchzy

TF Legend
VIP Lounge
Main is Their Serviceable Area as i got amex approved with any income docs but they don't provide the card at my zip code.
Cards being issued is less of a problem for amex
Because their portfolio is a mix of charge and credit cards.
So even if they have 10 plat charge cards given to hni clients it makes them mdr worth 20-30 or more hdfc card transaction of a regalia card
Simply because they charge 1% extra and since they are the data aggregator and card issuer network they keep a bigger split of the mdr compared to visa /mc cards

akshayhs

TF Ace
AMEX doesn't mind if they aren't able to get more swipes at stores to be honest. They are concentrating on a well balanced portfolio of clients and they will only serve them no matter what. I am quite surprised they bend backwards with regards to approvals in tier 2/3 cities because based on my knowledge and observation, this is a very unAMEX (if I could term it so) thing to do. I'm not saying it's a bad thing but they are certainly playing a different game in India.

sxchzy

TF Legend
VIP Lounge
AMEX doesn't mind if they aren't able to get more swipes at stores to be honest. They are concentrating on a well balanced portfolio of clients and they will only serve them no matter what. I am quite surprised they bend backwards with regards to approvals in tier 2/3 cities because based on my knowledge and observation, this is a very unAMEX (if I could term it so) thing to do. I'm not saying it's a bad thing but they are certainly playing a different game in India.
Agreed it was a surprising move.But they are preffering volumes growth I guess and in tier 2 and 3 cities where amex acceptance would be way much lesser than that of tier 1 it is a cash cow for them

nithin1992

TF Select
VIP Lounge
Stringent credit policy
Higher mdr.
HSBC's latest change to the Cashback Card has made it really good, I'd suggest people to give it a try.

A very unique proposition of 10% CB capped at 1k CB on all dining and grocery spends online and OFFLINE. This unique benefit promotes organic spends and I personally am ending up using it over every other card I own on a daily basis for restaurants and groceries at super markets

Deleted member 9785

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
sare cc influencers din bhar amex referral share karte nrehte hai and amex ke 60k wale card bhi lete hai to then increase referral to 5 lac points. they will die if amex goes away

jetesh

TF Premier
Q : I am getting SBI Prime in AMEX, so, does that count for an AMEX Card, How it can help me in the future to get an OG AMEX Card?
This was the first time I noticed about SBI Prime AMEX cards. And I just read the details. As per my understanding, basically SBI offers the same benefits for all three networks. But it is different for the IndusInd Celesta Card. They offer a few similar services of the AMEX Platinum credit cards.

ray8285

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
AMEX against FD? I recently got IndusInd Pinnacle against FD as i got 8.25% FD Interest Rate + The Card.
Amex does NOT issue cards against FD in India. So Amex against FD is not possible.

However, IndusInd issue most of their card variants unsecured as well as against FD.

Last edited:

ray8285

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Q : I am getting SBI Prime in AMEX, so, does that count for an AMEX Card

SBI Prime AmEx is NOT Amex. They are just American Express network cards & just use the Amex network for transactions instead of Visa or MC network.

How it can help me in the future to get an OG AMEX Card?

Directly it will NOT. It is just like having any other credit card on visa or mc network.

Core Amex card are issued based on your income & overall credit history. So having a good payment record with SBI might help you build a strong credit profile which might help you in getting a core Amex card, but just having a card issued by some other bank on their network will not get you pre-approved or an invite for the Core Amex cards.