• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Credit Card Data June 2023 | Total Spends, Total Active Credit Cards, Etc | RBI

TechnoFino

Founder
TF Family
Founder
Admin
The Reserve Bank of India recently released credit card data for June 2023, revealing that the total number of active credit cards in India increased from 8,77,47,311 at the end of May 2023 to 8,86,82,356 in June 2023, representing an increase of 9,35,045 cards.
Here is a graphic illustrating the market share of credit cards:
Screenshot 2023-07-24 at 11.50.32 PM.png
This may indicate that 9,35,045 new credit cards were issued by credit card issuers in india during that month. However, we should also consider attrition. If the attrition rate is 1% (which is the industry average), then approximately 8,77,000 more credit cards have been issued. Therefore, approximately 18.12 lakhs credit cards have been issued in June 2023, which is approximately 3 lakhs less than last month (May, 2023).

Screenshot 2023-07-24 at 11.53.13 PM.png
The above graphic clearly shows the issue with SBM Bank, as they have lost the highest number of credit card customers, losing more than 1.19 lakhs customers. On the other hand, HDFC Bank has emerged as the leader in acquiring new credit card customers, followed by SBI Card. Last month, SBI Card managed to issue more credit cards than HDFC Bank, but in June, HDFC Bank reclaimed the top position. Interestingly, despite all the hype on social media because of their Magnus credit card, Axis Bank has only issued 42,914 credit cards. In May 2023, Axis issued 196,395 credit cards, but in June, they issued 1,53,481 fewer credit cards. HSBC and Standard Chartered lost more customers in June than they did in May, which is concerning for them as they continue to lose customers every month.

In terms of spending, the total credit card expenditure in June 2023 amounted to Rs. 1,369,088,994,000. This was slightly lower compared to May 2023, which had a total expenditure of Rs. 1,406,592,598,000. The total credit card expenditure in June decreased by Rs. 37,503,604,000.
To provide a visual representation, I have included a graphic showcasing the top 10 banks based on credit card spending:

Screenshot 2023-07-25 at 12.11.33 AM.png Total Spends Breakup: Online And Offline
Screenshot 2023-07-25 at 12.20.43 AM.png
Lets check per card spends for top 10 card issuers in India:
Screenshot 2023-07-25 at 12.22.34 AM.png
In terms of per credit card spends, IndusInd Bank is in the top position with Rs. 27,990 per card spent, which is a very surprising figure. Amex is in the second position with Rs. 26,404, and HDFC Bank is in the third position with Rs. 21,097 spends per card.

I'm very surprised by the figures for June 2023. Axis Bank has underperformed in all aspects by a significant margin if we compare the May and June figures. On the other hand, SBI Card is performing well and giving tough competition to the giant HDFC Bank. SBI Card is just 10.07 lakhs credit cards away from surpassing HDFC Bank.

The Indian credit card market is dominated by the top 4 credit card issuers in the country. These top four credit card issuers together have issued almost 72% of the total credit cards in India.

sv004

TF Premier
Nice to see sbi and icici closing in on hdfc. Acc to me although sbi and icici dont give rewards like hdfc. But their cards give good value back as instant discounts on multiple sites and at festive offers which is much more than hdfc .

Mpautobe

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Per Card spend High is on Indus Ind... What can be infered from that?.. Is Indus Ind offering better value or some random peak it is???

Mpautobe

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Total Spends Breakup: Online And Offline
There is an error in graph ICICI appears twice.....

Per Card spend High is on Indus Ind... What can be infered from that?.. Is Indus Ind offering better value or some random peak it is???
We could have digested if it were to be Axis Bank 😂

But why someone is spending so much on IndusInd Bank Credit Cards :unsure:
Do they have some hidden Magnus like CC s or they run some spend based offer for specific users or they have some seriously loyal customers 😂

May be someone has found out a bug and he is exploiting it to such a large extent that the per car spends has reached the top spot.

Mpautobe

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
We could have digested if it were to be Axis Bank 😂

But why someone is spending so much on IndusInd Bank Credit Cards :unsure:
Do they have some hidden Magnus like CC s or they run some spend based offer for specific users or they have some seriously loyal customers 😂

May be someone has found out a bug and he is exploiting it to such a large extent that the per car spends has reached the top spot.
I have seen some small scale company heads using Indus Ind CC.. I wondered... Now I feel somethings is there with Indus Ind CC...

iamnisanth

TF Buzz
Here you go, this is the raw data from RBI website.

Attachments

• ATMJUNE20235B987AE67A6F49A6918662DBF8A9E31D.PDF
    132.2 KB · Views: 24

RadioactiveTabela

TF Premier
In terms of per credit card spends, IndusInd Bank is in the top position with Rs. 27,990 per card spent, which is a very surprising figure.
It is because most people have only 1 IndusInd card?

People who bank with HDFC-AXIS-SBI-ICICI are likely to have at least 2 cards, because the cards are actually useful. Person who has a HDFC core card also takes Tata Nue one, because why not. Person having ICICI Apay also takes a Gemstone for discounts, because why not. This increases the total number of HDFC-AXIS-SBI-ICICI issued cards, hence dividing the spend by larger number.

Plus, HDFC-AXIS-SBI-ICICI will have a very large number of salary account holders, hence a proportionately large number of people who take a pre-approved CC but never use it. I don't know anyone having salary account with IndusInd.

Will be interesting to see banks by per customer spend, instead of per card spend.

shrewdoc

TF Ace
It is because most people have only 1 IndusInd card?

People who bank with HDFC-AXIS-SBI-ICICI are likely to have at least 2 cards, because the cards are actually useful. Person who has a HDFC core card also takes Tata Nue one, because why not. Person having ICICI Apay also takes a Gemstone for discounts, because why not. This increases the total number of HDFC-AXIS-SBI-ICICI issued cards, hence dividing the spend by larger number.

Plus, HDFC-AXIS-SBI-ICICI will have a very large number of salary account holders, hence a proportionately large number of people who take a pre-approved CC but never use it. I don't know anyone having salary account with IndusInd.

Will be interesting to see banks by per customer spend, instead of per card spend.
I doubt RBI can track per customer spends. IncomeTax Department will have that kind of data I think.