• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Finance Bill 2023: FM says all credit cards payments for foreign tours to be considered under LRS

Copycat

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
What I am not clear is whether it is only on travel to foreign countries or any international transaction from here. I have subscribed to a digital magazine from abroad and use credit card each month. Now will there be 20% TCS applicable on it?

I think it only applies to
1) All transactions under LRS
2) CC transactions related to foreign tours (the way I've understood what has been written by the media: it would include foreign tour booking done from India as well as expenses incurred while on the said tours)

I don't think (and I hope I'm correct), regular non-travel related international transactions paid online via CC are going to be included. As I'm not an expert on this, I am by no means sure. So, I would suggest waiting for more clarifications from the ministry

Copycat

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
How to find optimism here - The TCS will get added to your credit card spend and help you get milestone spends and points. Later after 1 year you will get a refund from IT department.

I like your optimism. Sadly, I doubt that will be the case. There probably will be an extra line item added for TCS, just the way an extra line item is currently added for Foreign Currency Transaction charges done via Magnus. And you won't get points for this line item

Last edited:

hemant ojha

TF Buzz
Will I get international reward point for this 20% transaction? and when I file ITR, this extra tax will be refunded back to my bank account?

CVR

TF Ace
VIP Lounge

This will be a major blow! 20% TCS as per the proposal.
this says foreign tours.. so direct international flight booking or hotel booking will not be impacted? only if i book thomas cook tour i will have to pay 20%tcs?

theglobalinvestor

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
this says foreign tours.. so direct international flight booking or hotel booking will not be impacted? only if i book thomas cook tour i will have to pay 20%tcs?
Right now there is no clarity. Please ask Ms.Nirmala Sitharaman directly if you can.

I believe it will encompass all forex transactions eventually. Anything charged in currency other than INR.

CVR

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Right now there is no clarity. Please ask Ms.Nirmala Sitharaman directly if you can.

I believe it will encompass all forex transactions eventually. Anything charged in currency other than INR.
haha.. if i could have asked directly wouldn’t have asked here!! aapki itni pehchan hai toh poochke bata dena :)

anyways if u buy return foreign travel airline ticket from air india vistara etc it is charged in inr only

gurbina

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Wonderful, like if things weren't complicated enough. Weren't they already collecting info on credit cards to avoid tax evaders, now this. If this is specific to foreign tours it might be okay but if they'll pull TDS on all foreign transactions it's a big screw up.

Even getting cancer attracts taxes.

India might be the first country to pull such stunts as far as I am aware.

I really hope this backfires if it goes the way that most people here expect it to be.

If anything this will just make more people become tax evaders.

theglobalinvestor

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
haha.. if i could have asked directly wouldn’t have asked here!! aapki itni pehchan hai toh poochke bata dena :)

anyways if u buy return foreign travel airline ticket from air india vistara etc it is charged in inr only
Sorry, ആ ഹിന്ദി മനസ്സിലായില്ല.

theglobalinvestor

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Wonderful, like if things weren't complicated enough. Weren't they already collecting info on credit cards to avoid tax evaders, now this. If this is specific to foreign tours it might be okay but if they'll pull TDS on all foreign transactions it's a big screw up.

I really hope this backfires if it goes the way that most people here expect it to be.

I think the govt emboldened by recent successes in the international affairs front (with Russian oil purchases in the face of international sanctions etc) seeks to prop the rupee further by discouraging transactions in other currencies and pushing for any corporates wanting to do business in India to set up base in India and transact in INR.

krishc

TF Ace

medical and education are exempted though

bugmenot

TF Ace
I am not getting why at first place TCS is collected if that is eventually going to be claimed while tax filing. Without any reason the money will stuck with govt.

thanix

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Business folks will simply adjust the TCS in advance tax each quarter. Salaried folks have to declare this with employer if they have to adjust against the TDS. For which the banks have to provide TCS certificate. Good luck in handling government and private in this. Or wait till end of finance year and get it back after filing. All of this for spending your own money after getting TDS done. Pathetic government.