• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Easy address update methods for all banks (and credit cards)

yolofino

TF Premier
With the power of the Internet, there has been good initiatives by the banks in India to update one's address online or without visiting any branch. I'll be listing one by one (whichever I experienced) as a comment and link here as well.

Address change is one of painful processes in India with the govt departments and private entities demanding a proof to change the address, which is difficult to get when one moves places.

I request everyone to share their address change experiences so that it helps someone reading it and this in turn could reduce the paperwork by a huge margin.

IDFC First Bank method

Last edited:

yolofino

TF Premier
Previously, there was no online method of changing the address associated with an IDFC First bank savings account. Their android app was updated two days ago. In the profile section of the app, which can be accessed by clicking on the three horizontal bars on the top left, one can now change not only their mobile number and email address, but also their residential address.

When I checked my wife's account, I discovered that there were two options available for changing the address: Aadhaar-based (nearly instant) and an undertaking-based option (meaning you can enter any address, which the bank will accept). I updated my wife's Aadhaar address which was the same as the one I wanted for the bank records. I followed the steps which included submitting two OTPs, one from UIDAI and the other from the bank, and within 2 minutes her new address was updated in her profile section.

When trying to update my Aadhaar address in my account, the option showed an error (seems like I'm out of favour with UIDAI). So I chose the second option and submitted OTP successfully. It informed me that it would take around 7 working days to update my new address in the system. (I had previously gone to the nearby branch to update my address but they messed up the area and road name).

Please note that this process will not update the address on the credit card account. To update the address, you can begin by modifying it in the savings account, and then by emailing the credit card department of IDFC Bank and asking them to update it on their system, using the address from the account. The bank usually takes 7-8 days to process such requests.

Rkr

TF Legend
TF Family
Contributor
Previously, there was no online method of changing the address associated with an IDFC First bank savings account. Their android app was updated two days ago. In the profile section of the app, which can be accessed by clicking on the three horizontal bars on the top left, one can now change not only their mobile number and email address, but also their residential address.

When I checked my wife's account, I discovered that there were two options available for changing the address: Aadhaar-based (nearly instant) and an undertaking-based option (meaning you can enter any address, which the bank will accept). I updated my wife's Aadhaar address which was the same as the one I wanted for the bank records. I followed the steps which included submitting two OTPs, one from UIDAI and the other from the bank, and within 2 minutes her new address was updated in her profile section.

When trying to update my Aadhaar address in my account, the option showed an error (seems like I'm out of favour with UIDAI). So I chose the second option and submitted OTP successfully. It informed me that it would take around 7 working days to update my new address in the system. (I had previously gone to the nearby branch to update my address but they messed up the area and road name).

Please note that this process will not update the address on the credit card account. To update the address, you can begin by modifying it in the savings account, and then by emailing the credit card department of IDFC Bank and asking them to update it on their system, using the address from the account. The bank usually takes 7-8 days to process such requests.
Can you share the SS of menu options that you have mentioned above with app version of IDFC App.

Edited-Its there in my app also...🫡

Last edited:

deep@vie

TF Legend

I only have the credit card, I think they haven't incorporated this feature for only credit card holders.May be very soon we can see it.

deep@vie

TF Legend
With the power of the Internet, there has been good initiatives by the banks in India to update one's address online or without visiting any branch. I'll be listing one by one (whichever I experienced) as a comment and link here as well.

Address change is one of painful processes in India with the govt departments and private entities demanding a proof to change the address, which is difficult to get when one moves places.

I request everyone to share their address change experiences so that it helps someone reading it and this in turn could reduce the paperwork by a huge margin.

IDFC First Bank method
Most of the banks now allow to update address of their choice by completing biometric authentication at every branch.

TheTrickySid

TF Ace
VIP Lounge

HDFC, ICICI, Axis, Kotak, Indusind, AU

Already have this facility 😅
Maybe some other banks would also allow but personally can verify these.

shrewdoc

TF Ace
With ICICI, it's also instant. Visited the branch, and asked to update the address. RM just asked for my Aadhaar and the address was successfully changed in minutes.
Same with HDFC, they just take your e-KYC vault authentication via biometrics and it's then processed via SR.

runzone

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Well
HDFC, ICICI, Axis, Kotak, Indusind, AU

Already have this facility 😅
Maybe some other banks would also allow but personally can verify these.
Well the benefit with IDFC is that, even if you dont have an address proof for your current residential address, you can update the address.

But in case of Indusind, AU (tried) they ask address proof although it would be instant for some banks but address proof is required.

TheTrickySid

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Well

Well the benefit with IDFC is that, even if you dont have an address proof for your current residential address, you can update the address.

But in case of Indusind, AU (tried) they ask address proof although it would be instant for some banks but address proof is required.
Obviously address proof would be required in any bank. Which bank allows address change without any proof??

Also HDFC and I guess IDFC has a system where the agent will visit your address for verification if you dont have any proof for the address

runzone

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Obviously address proof would be required in any bank. Which bank allows address change without any proof??

Also HDFC and I guess IDFC has a system where the agent will visit your address for verification if you dont have any proof for the address
Like I said, I just updated my address (via 2nd method) as explained by the OP in IDFC it didnot ask for any address proof.

deep@vie

TF Legend
Well

Visit indusind branch,just by biometric you can update any address of your choice without OVD.