• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

DCB DCB add-on cards shows error when used along with primary cards for international lounge access

demigox

TF Buzz
A few days ago, I was traveling from New Delhi to Kathmandu. I used my Diners Club Black credit card as well as 3 add-on cards to access Encalm Lounge and everything went smoothly.

However, yesterday on my journey back from Kathmandu to New Delhi is when I faced the issue. I went to the Executive Lounge and my card worked fine, however, when the second card was swiped it showed that there is already ongoing access from the same card. The receptionist refused to do the "New Check-In" on his terminal. However, he did allow me to take a seat with family members and asked me to try in another 15-20 minutes.

Even after 30 minutes of the first access, it showed the same error. However, this time he did proceed with the "New Check-In" on his terminal but it timed out thrice. I used my other card and my brother's card for the remaining access and the receptionist gave one access as complimentary.

Overall, this may be a lack of knowledge from the lounge team for refusing to do a "New Check-In" or maybe this is a technicality that HDFC Bank has played on that add-on card holders can access the lounge but not with someone else using it at the same time. Nonetheless, it was an embarrassing experience. I have asked HDFC Bank for clarification and the same with the Diners/Priority Pass team. I'll update the thread when I get any updates.

srichaitanya

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
A few days ago, I was traveling from New Delhi to Kathmandu. I used my Diners Club Black credit card as well as 3 add-on cards to access Encalm Lounge and everything went smoothly.

However, yesterday on my journey back from Kathmandu to New Delhi is when I faced the issue. I went to the Executive Lounge and my card worked fine, however, when the second card was swiped it showed that there is already ongoing access from the same card. The receptionist refused to do the "New Check-In" on his terminal. However, he did allow me to take a seat with family members and asked me to try in another 15-20 minutes.

Even after 30 minutes of the first access, it showed the same error. However, this time he did proceed with the "New Check-In" on his terminal but it timed out thrice. I used my other card and my brother's card for the remaining access and the receptionist gave one access as complimentary.

Overall, this may be a lack of knowledge from the lounge team for refusing to do a "New Check-In" or maybe this is a technicality that HDFC Bank has played on that add-on card holders can access the lounge but not with someone else using it at the same time. Nonetheless, it was an embarrassing experience. I have asked HDFC Bank for clarification and the same with the Diners/Priority Pass team. I'll update the thread when I get any updates.
Please do update what HDFC team said.

SoN!c

TF Select
VIP Lounge

They wont accept anything. They will blame the lounge :(

LordPSN

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Just had a call with HDFC customer care and they said exactly opposite. Add on and primary can visit lounge at the same time with their individual cards. They are saying its the issue with lounge only

demigox

TF Buzz
Here are a few updates:
  1. HDFC phone banking team said that the add-on cards can be used simultaneously with the primary card. There is no limit. They asked me for a few details about the visit and have promised to get back in a few days with possible solutions to avoid this problem in the future.
  2. In this thread, I mentioned how priority pass and DCB card work in conjunction. Basically, Diners Club used Priority Pass' backed for lounge access, and your visits are recorded on your linked PP account. In the above encounter, I had mentioned that on subsequent swipes the terminal showed timeout. However, I checked today and three visits were recorded on my Priority Pass. Basically, three access were used from my Diners card, one each from the backup cards. I used 5 accesses for 4 people lol.
My opinion is that this is a knowledge gap on the lounge operator's end and no one is guilty here. DCB does indeed provide unlimited access and subsequent check-ins won't void the previous check-ins. Also, because HDFC gives the same number for all the cards, it is prone to create such problems in the future when lounge staff is not aware of such arrangements.

Anyway, I'll update further once I hear from the HDFC bank. The only inconvenience is the same card number for all the cards; I cannot blame them any further than this. Overall, had the lounge staff allowed subsequent check-in when his machine was working fine, I would not have faced any issues. The incomplete knowledge plus the technical failure when he tried again in 30 minutes made this whole scenario dramatic.

demigox

TF Buzz
Informally he said that if issue persist, add on should swipe their card while primary can use diner club or priority pass app for check in
The order doesn't really matter. All the cards as well as the Priority Pass are essentially linked to one and the same account. You can try swiping the add-on card first and then getting your priority pass scanned - you'll get the same warning message on the terminal.

demigox

TF Buzz
Does that mean if i dont have add on card can i use diners card for my access and digital PP for guest access at the same time?
Yes and no. I think you misunderstood what I want to convey above. Your primary card, your add on cards, as well as your priority pass are linked to a same account in the backend. Your card and the PP are just a medium to access your lounge quota.

Whatever instrument you use first will work flawlessly. The instrument that will be used second will get the message saying that there is an ongoing lounge access. If the lounge staff agrees to do a new check in (which is the correct way), you're good to go, otherwise it won't work.

demigox

TF Buzz
Final update: while HDFC allows unlimited access to any International lounge in priority pass' network, it is still tied to a single account. It is your job to make the lounge receptionist understand that this is how it is intended by the bank.

So yeah, it'll be pretty much embarrassing for you and your family if the lounge staff does not know about this and refuse to check you in.

ankitfintech

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Final update: while HDFC allows unlimited access to any International lounge in priority pass' network, it is still tied to a single account. It is your job to make the lounge receptionist understand that this is how it is intended by the bank.

So yeah, it'll be pretty much embarrassing for you and your family if the lounge staff does not know about this and refuse to check you in.
Is there a document from HDFC which states unlimited access for add-ons international lounge? It would be good to show this to lounge staff as a proof..

hritiksakshi

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Faced similiar issue at Changi airport, my wife's entry was recorded but mine wasnt. Thankfully just playing with hdfc mycards setting resolved it by changing limits international pos amount from 100000 to 110000. And voila it works

baxter

TF Buzz

I have DCB card and I encountered the same issue during my recent travels, both in the UK and Qatar. It has become a hazel because the receptionists are not informed about the procedure. In the Birmingham lounge, the receptionist informed me that they were advised not not do the "New Check-In." After a brief argument, she finally did the "New Check-In" for the add-on card. In other lounges, they showed me the error saying that the customer was already inside. I suggested to do a "New Check-In" for the add-on, once they did it, the name of the add-on cardholder became visible on their POS machine and they were surprised that it worked.

I believe Diners Club/HDFC should ensure that the cardholders do not encounter such inconveniences at the airport.

On a related note, I have another question. Do both the primary and add-on cardholders for the Regalia or Infinia card share the same membership ID for their Priority Pass? If they do, they could encounter the same issue.