• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Data Leaked/ Cards Hacked

beingmohit

TF Premier
I randomly started getting SMSs regarding OTPs and transaction alerts. As I was already asleep, I did not bother. But, my wife checked it and to our horror, we were getting OTPs for random transactions on Flipkart, and all of them were getting successful. I immediately disabled online transactions on my card. Just then, I started getting OTPs on my RBL card. By the time I was able to disable transactions on my RBL card, another transaction went through successfully. I am confused and unable to understand how this can happen. How can someone hack the OTPs on my phone? Please let me know what I should do now.
Update: The hacker used my RBL card to purchase Flipkart GVs worth 50k. Fortunately, I could add these GVs to my Flipkart account before the hacker could. I discussed the incident with Flipkart and they have initiated a refund for these 50k.
The hacker used my Axis card to purchase 45k worth of Google Play vouchers. As the voucher codes were delivered to the hacker's email, I could not do anything about it. I am in discussions with Google Play support, but the conversations so far don't give me much confidence. I have also registered a complaint with the Cyber Crime Division of Bengaluru Police. They have not yet registered an FIR (only a complaint) as they want us to try and get out money back (You won't be wrong if you are wondering why we pay taxes to fund their salaries). Axis Bank has denied any responsibility as the payments were authorized using OTP.
Please let me know if anyone here has any suggestions about how to get my money back. Should I try to register an FIR? Should I try mailing Axis again?

Last edited:

prc1990

TF Ace
I randomly started getting SMSs regarding OTPs and transaction alerts. As I was already asleep, I did not bother. But, my wife checked it and to our horror, we were getting OTPs for random transactions on Flipkart, and all of them were getting successful. I immediately disabled online transactions on my card. Just then, I started getting OTPs on my RBL card. By the time I was able to disable transactions on my RBL card, another transaction went through successfully. I am confused and unable to understand how this can happen. How can someone hack the OTPs on my phone? Please let me know what I should do now.
Did your money get deducted or you were getting OTPs only through some bomber app?

plastikman

TF Ace
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Also you may want to check your email / phone number and password on Have I been pwned website. That way you'll come to know if your details were leaked and available to scammers.

beingmohit

TF Premier
Did your money get deducted or you were getting OTPs only through some bomber app?
The money got deducted. The Axis customer care says that the transactions have already been transferred to the merchant as well. I am worried because knowing how terrible their customer support is, I don't know if they will do anything about it.

beingmohit

TF Premier
Have you installed any app recently?

For now block your cards and file a complaint on cyber portal or call their helpline.

Use this copy of FIR at respective merchants where transaction has taken place and tell them its a fraud transaction and cancel the order
Unfortunately, I am not in India. I called up Axis customer support and they have registered my complaint. They say they will transfer it to their respective team who will verify if the transactions are fraudulent and they will provide a resolution in 120 days! This has to be a joke!

Walter White

TF Legend
VIP Lounge
Start taking more proactive steps to keep your cards secure even it makes you more paranoid. If you use your cards on dodgy sites, change your cards every 1-1.5 years.

Rkr

TF Legend
TF Family
Contributor
Now that I see it, my email inbox does not have OTPs for any of the Axis or RBL emails. So, I guess whoever got access to my email must have deleted the emails.
All the emails are in Trash. So, it is clear that my email was compromised.
Always set 2 factor authentication for Email/Gmail...even if your password is compromised second option of validation is still there..

Predator

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Unfortunately, I am not in India. I called up Axis customer support and they have registered my complaint. They say they will transfer it to their respective team who will verify if the transactions are fraudulent and they will provide a resolution in 120 days! This has to be a joke!
Complaint can be registered online. I suggest you to file complaint on Cyber Crime Portal.
As OTPs are shared due to your fault. Banks don't have any liability here, so don't depend upon Bank alone.

If the amount is significant, ask Flipkart and all the merchants to share details of the account used for transactions along with IP address. If you attach copy of FIR, then they will share these details easily

beingmohit

TF Premier
Complaint can be registered online. I suggest you to file complaint on Cyber Crime Portal.
As OTPs are shared due to your fault. Banks don't have any liability here, so don't depend upon Bank alone.

If the amount is significant, ask Flipkart and all the merchants to share details of the account used for transactions along with IP address. If you attach copy of FIR, then they will share these details easily
The cybercrime portal does not even open outside India!
These people got access to my Flipkart account and made all these transactions. So, I guess I am screwed here. Let me try to reach out to Flipkart Support.