• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Credit card users in India may no longer be able to overpay their dues

Abhishek012

TF Pioneer

Credit card users in India may no longer be able to overpay their dues:​

The banks have put guards in their applications to prevent customers from overpaying their credit card dues​

Indian banks are no longer allowing credit card users to pay more than their outstanding amount. And in the cases where the overpayment has been done, they are refunding the excess amount.

The main reason for this is that the banks are concerned about money laundering and fraud. A bank executive quoted in the TOI report said that there have been cases where the excess amount parked in the customer's credit cards has been used for international transactions using hacking.

The banks have put guards in their applications to prevent customers from overpaying. It is allowed to send money through other banks, but in those cases, the card-issuing banks return the surplus funds within a week.

The report said that HDFC Bank, SBI Card and Axis Bank do not allow their customers to pay above the outstanding amount on their apps. However, some customers of ICICI Bank were quoted as saying they are allowed to overpay.

A spokesperson of HDFC Bank was also quoted as saying that customers cannot park their excess funds in credit cards because it is a lending product, not a savings account.

"There is also a recent guideline that asks banks to refund excess credit balances on cards within a certain period. A credit card is not a prepaid card product to permit loading and utilisation of the instrument," they said.

Customers usually overpay their credit card dues in anticipation of a higher-value purchase or overseas travel in the near future. They might be left with fewer options now.

Pankhuri

TF Ace
Who has low limit can add extra money in credit card to purchase higher value item
Credit bill payments offers
But that's already capped at just 20% over your existing limit. I don't have experience with HDFC but that's how my friend tried to buy iPhone in last bbd sale with just 30k limit flipkart axis card. Ended up with locked card and had to spend a lot of time to get the money back in the account. During that time the cc executive told that the max you can spend is 20% over your limit.

NShah

TF Legend
Contributor
But that's already capped at just 20% over your existing limit. I don't have experience with HDFC but that's how my friend tried to buy iPhone in last bbd sale with just 30k limit flipkart axis card. Ended up with locked card and had to spend a lot of time to get the money back in the account. During that time the cc executive told that the max you can spend is 20% over your limit.
I am not talking about overlimit
You can add extra amount in your credit card by paying extra credit card bill payment
Last week I have add extra 85k on my sbi credit card

Pankhuri

TF Ace
I am not talking about overlimit
You can add extra amount in your credit card by paying extra credit card bill payment
Last week I have add extra 85k on my sbi credit card
I am also not talking about overlimit. Say if your limit is 1L, you have zero expenses on card in last month and in the next month you have to purchase something of say 1.8L, you can't just add 80k extra to your credit card and make a payment of 1.8L as your limit even in that case is just 1L.

NShah

TF Legend
Contributor
I am also not talking about overlimit. Say if your limit is 1L, you have zero expenses on card in last month and in the next month you have to purchase something of say 1.8L, you can't just add 80k extra to your credit card and make a payment of 1.8L as your limit even in that case is just 1L.
You can add

NShah

TF Legend
Contributor
Can you make a payment of 1.8L? I never contested that you can't add. I described the situation where my friend did add, just that he wasn't allowed to pay more than 120% of his original limit.
Sbi allowed 50% above credit limit