• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

ICICI Bank enables UPI payments in India for NRI customers

Abhishek012

TF Pioneer
ICICI Bank enables UPI payments in India for NRI customers:

ICICI Bank on Monday announced that it has enabled instant payment facility UPI for its non-resident Indian (NRI) customers in India through their international mobile numbers. According to the bank, this will significantly enhance convenience of making everyday payments.

"With this facility, the NRI customers of the bank can make payments for their utility bills, merchant and e-commerce transactions with their international mobile number registered with their NRE/NRO bank account held with ICICI Bank in India," a statement released here by the bank said. According to the statement, the bank has made this service available through its mobile banking app iMobile Pay.

Earlier, NRIs had to register an Indian mobile number with their bank accounts to make UPI payments across 10 countries, namely, the USA, UK, UAE, Canada, Singapore, Australia, Hong Kong, Oman, Qatar and Saudi Arabia. NRI customers of the bank can make UPI payments by scanning any Indian QR code, send money to a UPI ID or any Indian mobile number or Indian bank account.

"With this facility, our NRI customers residing in 10 countries do not need to switch to an Indian mobile number to pay using UPI," Sidharatha Mishra, Head Digital Channels and Partnerships, ICICI Bank, said. According to him, with this initiative, the bank intends to leverage on NPCI's UPI (Unified Payments Interface) infrastructure in "strengthening and transforming the digital payments ecosystem globally".

How to activate UPI facility on the international mobile number

Here are easy steps to activate the UPI facility on the international mobile numbers using iMobile Pay.

Step 1: Log in to the iMobile Pay app
Step 2: Click on ‘UPI Payments’
Step 3: Verify Mobile Number
Step 4: Click on Manage –> My Profile
Step 5: Create a new UPI ID (select from the suggested options)
Step 6: Select the Account Number -> Submit.

Who can use this facility?
The bank offers this facility across 10 countries namely the USA, UK, UAE, Canada, Singapore, Australia, Hong Kong, Oman, Qatar, and Saudi Arabia.

Important FAQs for NRIs, according to the ICICI Bank website

How does the Unified Payment Interface (UPI) work for NRIs?

UPI enables ICICI Bank Account Holders to send and receive money from their smartphones with a single identifier i.e. Virtual Payment Address (VPA), using their registered Indian or overseas mobile number from select geographies, i.e. Australia, Canada, Hong Kong, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, UAE, UK and USA.

UPI can be used for transactions in Indian Rupees (INR) for:
  • Sending money/ making payments to Indian merchants or UPI/ VPA IDs
  • Scanning any UPI QR code to send money
  • Sending money to any Indian mobile number (if the mobile number is enabled for UPI)
  • Sending money to an Indian bank account.

Can NRIs use UPI for transactions in India using their overseas mobile number?​

Yes, NRIs can use UPI from their registered overseas mobile number from the approved geographies, i.e. Australia, Canada, Hong Kong, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, UAE, UK, and USA for INR transactions in India.

How can an NRI set up a UPI/ VPA ID?​

NRIs can set up a UPI/ VPA ID using their ICICI Bank registered Indian mobile number or overseas mobile number from the approved geographies, i.e. Australia, Canada, Hong Kong, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, UAE, UK, and USA.

ICICI Bank NRI customers can register themselves for UPI by following these steps:
Log in to the iMobile Pay application > UPI Payments > Verify Mobile Number > SMS Based Verification > Manage > My Profile > Create UPI ID and Select bank account (NRE/NRO) > Success.