• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

(Caution) Check your AIS. Banks have reported high value Credit Card spends for FY22-23.

moriarty

TF Select
VIP Lounge
Check your AIS by logging into the income tax filing website.

All banks (confirmed for Axis and HDFC) have reported high-value credit card spending under the Annual Information Statement.

Now, for the spenders who have spent more than their ITR and/or have not had these expenses accounted for, I want to give you a big heads up as the department can come after you even after several years. For example, the IT department is currently on a notice spree and sending notices to several individuals who had claimed deductions for donations to political parties even in 2019.

No reward rate will ever be able to match the heavy penalties, interest, mental stress, and compliance required if you get caught—just an annual reminder to be cautious and spend wisely.

Edit - From what I have heard, high-value spend = 10L+ spending in a financial year with a single institution. So, if you spend 10L+ across all the Axis cards you hold, it is reported in the AIS.

Last edited:

Tejo

TF Legend

All banks (confirmed for Axis and HDFC) have reported high-value credit card spending under the Annual Information Statement.

Now, for the spenders who have spent more than their ITR and/or have not had these expenses accounted for, I want to give you a big heads up as the department can come after you even after several years. For example, the IT department is currently on a notice spree and sending notices to several individuals who had claimed deductions for donations to political parties even in 2019.

No reward rate will ever be able to match the heavy penalties, interest, mental stress, and compliance required if you get caught—just an annual reminder to be cautious and spend wisely.
@TechnoFino

What about Debit card - wallet reloads ?😅🤣🤣

What about prepaid card spends ?

What about upi spends?

Rotating account balance from one savings to another savings account ?

prc1990

TF Ace

What is the definition of high value transaction? Is there any threshold amount?

thegame

TF Premier
source: ClearTax article as of Dec2022

Here is a list of transactions for which a taxpayer may receive a notice from the Income Tax Department:

Sr. No.TransactionThreshold (Rs)Authority concerned
1Cash deposits in the fixed deposit account10,00,000Banks need to disclose a transaction if the amount deposited exceeds the threshold to the Director of Income Tax by filing Form 61A, known as Statement of Financial Transactions.
2Cash deposit or withdrawal in a savings bank account10,00,000Banks need to disclose a transaction if the amount deposited exceeds the threshold to the Director of Income Tax by filing Form 61A, known as Statement of Financial Transactions.
3Cash deposit or withdrawal in a current account50,00,000Banks need to disclose a transaction if the amount deposited exceeds the threshold to the Director of Income Tax by filing Form 61A, known as Statement of Financial Transactions.
4Sale or purchase of an immovable property30,00,000The Property Registrar/Sub-registrar must report a transaction exceeding the threshold via Form 61A.
5Investments in shares, mutual funds, debentures and bonds in cash

*If the transaction is related to the sum transfer from one scheme to another, then reporting is not required.
10,00,000Mutual Fund Trustee, Stock Exchange is required to report a transaction exceeding the threshold via Form 61A.
6Payment of credit card bill in cash1,00,000Banks need to report transactions exceeding the threshold via Form 61A.
7Payment of credit card by any mode other than cash such as NEFT, cheque etc.10,00,000Banks need to report transactions exceeding the threshold via Form 61A.
8Sale of foreign currency10,00,000Banks need to report transactions exceeding the threshold via Form 61A.
9Cash payment for purchasing bank draft or prepaid RBI instruments10,00,000Banks need to report transactions exceeding the threshold via Form 61A.

Tejo

TF Legend

Edit - From what I have heard, high-value spend = 10L+ spending in a financial year with a single institution. So, if you spend 10L+ across all the Axis cards you hold, it is reported in the AIS.
using pan every where should restricted.

using personal cc for business should be restricted

we should minimize each financial instuituion spend to 7 lakhs and 5 lakh per quarter

should not spend for rewards.

Tejo

TF Legend

15l spend criteria to waive off fee, magnus*

tfcians holds magnus for 2.5 lakh se even below

i think 10L+ spends in a month statement or averge spends of current financial yr will trigger notice.

NikhilTravelLover

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Do I have to login myself . I do not pay tax as I am a student and don't have any income .
Even tough you should get register to income tax department. And start filling ITR. It builds your credit history. Get habituated to all the terms. And once you fall undr tqxable income category you don't have to start from scrap and dependency on CA reduces.

Deleted member 9785

TF Ace
VIP Lounge

I spend around 15 lacs on magnus a year , but that is much less than income. The real problem will be for people who are mindlessly rotating money for points and dont have the income backing their spending. The penalties in income tax is almost 300%. Normal tax rate if is 20% for you, be ready to folk out 60% as penalty. Hope people become sensible, nothing escapes the IT department due to all things getting linked

Avin

TF Buzz
From what I have heard, high-value spend = 10L+ spending in a financial year with a single institution. So, if you spend 10L+ across all the Axis cards you hold, it is reported in the AIS.
I believe that this 10L applies to the cash transactions, but I'm not sure about it. Anyone confirm is it really showing in AIS?